• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Ray Griffiths

Kingsthorne Cranbourne Rd School

Remember it in the late 40s having walk from Birdbrook Rd up Dyas Rd. which at that time hadn’t been built it was a track with the sandpits. The worst 1947 winter those toilets was wicked but the classrooms made up for it. The bottles of milk we had the top was forced off with the frost it was...
  2. Ray Griffiths

Kingsthorne Cranbourne Rd School

Reading this thread again I in about 1947 our class was taken to the Birmingham Town Hall to perform a a sea shanty on the sage we was dressed in black a white stripe shorts abs black class made hats
  3. Ray Griffiths

Childhood Memories

Remember it well and been down cellar during the air raids,hearing the thud when a bomb lande you waited for the explosion if it went off. Getting out of the cellar when the all clear was given to the small burning wood, town gas, hot bricks being cooled down by fireman hosing down and seeing...
  4. Ray Griffiths

Army Huts after WW2

Where did she work ?
  5. Ray Griffiths

GEC WITTON WORKS

Hi I seem to remember the name can’t put a face to it. My dad worked in the machine shop in SM he was a machine sitter. Do you remember Trickle crane driver/truck driver used to drive a coach every from Norton Canes to GEC another one who was a comicused have his lunch by the tall stacks of CI...
  6. Ray Griffiths

GEC WITTON WORKS

The tool room was over by the Tinsmith Deptand Feeder Dept tool room made jigs and fixtures for the different production sections including tools for the manufacture stampings rotor building and market poles for AC generators.GEC Witton was a large electric motors and generators switchgear and...
  7. Ray Griffiths

Halfords Fire

Another big fire just round the from Halfords was Penfolds the burnt out building remained for along time, it may still be a site.
  8. Ray Griffiths

National Service

I don’t think youngster have got the bottle these days, most of had just come through years of war. With food shortages definitely no tech items very little money and no freedom to do what we please. I don’t think parents of today would be able to cope with family being taken away without any...
  9. Ray Griffiths

National Service

I remember a number sportsman who cheated the system, one an England cricketer bowler had flat feet. Terry Dean pop star got discharged on mental grounds he was in the Green Jackets. I was told if you clean your teeth with tooth paste it give a heart flutter it didn’t work. I was in the Royal...
  10. Ray Griffiths

National Service

Thanks Richard I didn’t think one was available Rebards Ray
  11. Ray Griffiths

National Service

For many years governments have spoke about striking a medal for the thousands National Service wouldn’t it be nice if in the Jubilee Years it could happen,the Queen must met many thousands of NS lads during her reign and the number still living must be reducing every year. Most NS lads didn’t...
  12. Ray Griffiths

Old tram routes in birmingham

no.11 City Centre to Bordesley Green (Blake Lane) via Fazeley Street replace 1948 no. 51 Bus no.12 City Centre to Bordesley Green (Blake Lane) via Deritend replaced Oct1948 no 52 Bus no 84 City Centreo o Stechford via Fazeley street replace Oct 1948 no 53 Bus The v shaped piece metal placed...
  13. Ray Griffiths

aston sheds

45509 Derbyshire Yeomanry was never rebuilt used to be on Derby runs
  14. Ray Griffiths

Steam Locos

thanks we moved to North Devon 15 years wondered what had happened to iy
  15. Ray Griffiths

Steam Locos

Is it still on site I remember seeing in the 1960's
  16. Ray Griffiths

Steam Locos

17. Ray Griffiths

Trams from Witton Garage used this route to service No 5 Lozells to Gravelly Hill route they would travel up hill and turn in to Victoria Rd at the top of the hill. Conductor and Motorman would stop traffic and change tracks to allow the tram to continue either to return to Witton Garage or come...
  18. Ray Griffiths

Being a Narrow Gauge that is why the Derbyshire Tram Museum didn't obtain one
  19. Ray Griffiths

Worst car of the 1960's

I had a Vauxall Viva HB wonderful motor easy to maintain and service. So I bought a new Viva HC it was the worst car I’ve ever owned the window screen wipers stop working as I drove out of the dealer car park. I had the car foe 10 months before dropping it. I was almost on the staff at the Main...
Back