• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. A

Book: A Brummie Kid by Graham Twist

Hello Polly, Thank you for your kind remarks, if you want to hang on a bit I am going to doing a booksigning at W H Smiths in Bromsgrove on the last Saturday in May, 11 oclock to 1 oclock. I would be pleased to sign your copy for you even if you have already purchased it. Many...
  2. A

Astonian, Thank you so much for your comments, its sometimes nice to know we are appreciated. The book can be got at Waterstones, Smiths, Amazon and various other places. £9:99 and getting cheaper by the day. Where abouts in Aston are you from? Many regards, Graham.
  3. A

Hello all, My follow up book to "A Birmingham Backstreet Boyhood" has just been published. It can be got at the usual. places, it is called "Brummie Kid" not my choice of title, but thats publishers for you. I would be interested to hear any comments about my first book, to see where people...
  4. A

"Brummies"

You ask me what a Brummy is, and I,ll answer as best I can They are people who are funny, and I am their biggest fan Some support the Aston Villa and some support the Blues And it really is a killer if both of these teams lose Cos we are proud of our City we cant stand it when we dont win We...
  5. A

CROWN GREEN BOWLING

Hello fellow Brummies and bowlers, I play bowls for the R.S.J.C. bowling club now based in Rubery. I have bowled matches at the "Three Magpies" the "Greyhound" and lots of the greens around Brum. Bowls is a great game where anyone of any age or...
  6. A

A Birmingham Backstreet Boyhood

Hello folks, I have just been told that my book will be out this coming week. 18th August onwards. It has been a long time in coming and I only hope it will please the readers. Once again thank you to all those interested people. Graham V Twist.
  7. A

Hello folks, My book s publishing has been put back to September due to the Publishers moving premises etc. I am disappointed to say the least, but thats the way things are. If and when I get more information about a date I will post it here. Many regards, Graham V Twist.
  8. A

Hello Cromwell and fellow Forum members, Thank you so much for your kind remarks about the book. It is the sort of thing that in my opinion anyone of a certain age could have written. We were all in the same boat, skint, poor, needy, but...
  9. A

Weather : past adverse weather in Birmingham

Colin,         I too was a pipe strangler ,and also worked through the same weather as you mentioned I was doing it for J S Wrights on the Hagley Road. I remember one day it was that cold that as we spoke our breath froze, we had to gather it up and throw it on the fire to thaw it...
  10. A

Weather : past adverse weather in Birmingham

Re: Blews Street Park We were living in Charles Arthur Street in 1947, and I can remember our mom opening the front door to be faced by a wall of snow, I went to my school Cromwell Street and the caretaker had dug a path from the gate to the school, the snow was piled up so I couldnt see over...
  11. A

William Cowper Street School

Went to Cowper Street from 1949 to 1952, then onto that great old school Summer Lane.I lived next door to Cowper street school and to my abiding shame was one of the kids who nearly wrecked the place during one summer holiday. Me and my mate Alec Moss would climb on to the top of the roof and...
  12. A

cromwell arms pub

Cromwell, have you seen the Carl Chinn Brummagen Magazine April 2006. An interesting bit on the Pub. Adelaide.
  13. A

The General Havelock

Cromwell WHO ARE YOU???, Lily Rainey was a great pal of my mom I remember her very well.my mom passed away in 2002 unfortunately. Would love to see the photos Regards.
  14. A

The General Havelock

My mother used to run a ladies dart team from the General Havelock in the early sixties. I have a couple of photos of the ladies dart team taken under the dart board. By the way when the dart board was closed, on the doors was painted a kangaroo with the words A.I.F. 1943?. My dad was a glass...
Back