• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. B

Ww1 Buildings Investigated

This is now a Heritage Lottery funded project ‘Hidden First World War Heritage of the Lickey Hills’. The aim of the project is to record and research buildings on Bilberry Hill in the Lickey Hills Country Park that date from the Great War. If you would like to find out more there is an open...
  2. B

the old mill

Hi Astonian When you say the King Edward on the Bristol Road I think you mean The George. My husband and I did our "courting" in there listening to Dexys Midnight Runners on the juke box. It is now called the Emerald - all you can eat Chinese place. The Longbridge - big pub further towards...
  3. B

the old mill

Looks like it's for sale - let's hope it survives. Many of these plots are bought by developers who stick flats in place of the pub. https://www.jamesabaker.co.uk/properties/2009-03-11-12-41-07/particulars.pdf
  4. B

caddling

Don't thank me Celia. Carl Chinn and his mate did all the work - I just looked it up. I guess in your mates Mom's case she was suggesting that the tea had had enough attention. It is a new word to me - I'd never heard it before so thanks for sharing it.
  5. B

caddling

According to "Proper Brummie" by carl chinn and steve thorne - "to caddle" means to mollycoddle, pamper or spoil.
  6. B

Snowploughs

The chaos of the last few days is inevitable given how we live now. In years gone by the weather was worse but most teachers and kids lived within walking distance of the school and many of us could walk to work. Now we are totally dependant on transport, usually our cars. I am still doing the...
  7. B

Aston History

Hi Mike Just had a look at the revised site and it looks fantastic, very professional. I have a soft spot for the site as it was the catalyst that got me digging into my family's history.
  8. B

ELLIS family

Hi Gunmaker. It's a pity the W. Bromwich marriage is the wrong one because as I said the other one really is a long shot and I wouldn't hold out too much hope. Sorry.
  9. B

ELLIS family

Hi Gunmaker Found a couple of possible marriages on freebmd. The first is a long-shot - Eliza is sometimes a nickname for Louisa. The second is more promising. Surname First name(s) District Vol Page ----------------------------------------------- Marriages Jun 1861...
  10. B

Reeves family Birmingham

You could still be right Chrisy3. Judy has him born in Balsall Heath which used to be part of Kings Norton when KN was in Worcestershire. see this link https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22958
  11. B

Reeves family Birmingham

You could still be right Chrisy3. Judy has him born in Balsall Heath which used to be part of Kings Norton when KN was in Worcerstershire. see this link https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22958
  12. B

Reeves family Birmingham

I think I've found your original couple in 1891, very hard to read Living at 16 Court Bowns, Birmingham somewhere in Rotton Park? Reeves Thomas 27 Head Brass and Copper ??? Drawer (can't read where born) Reeves Matilda 27 Wife Bridgewater, Somerset, - Reeves...
  13. B

2 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Northfield, Kings Norton, Birmingham

Sorry Andy. Don't know the answer to that one, hopefully someone else will though. They are very helpful on this forum. Carole
  14. B

Alma Street, Six Ways, Aston

Hi Wales. Have a look at John Houghton's Aston site. Lots of stuff on Alma St - including photos https://www.astonbrook-through-astonmanor.co.uk/id151.htm
  15. B

2 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Northfield, Kings Norton, Birmingham

Hi Andy Colin B responded to a similar question back in March and you are correct - 2 Raddlebarn road was the registrars address for King Norton workhouse
  16. B

Evacuation Of Children World War 2

Wales - what a lovely idea. I hope it hasn't changed too much. My Mom's 2 older sisters were evacuated (Mom was too young). My Aunt Joyce landed with a lovely family to whom she wrote for many years after the war. My Aunt Sheila was not so lucky and was treated VERY badly - my Nan fetched her...
  17. B

"old saying"

How about "couldn't stop a pig in an entry" for bow-legged.
  18. B

One favourite fact about Birmingham

We seem to have gone way off topic here. Perhaps the latter posts can be moved to a different thread comparing 'now and then'. This is supposed to be about what we love about Brum. By the way - I agree with Wendy. There is a lot to be proud of with the revitalised biits of the city.
  19. B

WESTBROOK Albert Victor

Marlene Looking at freebmd the only marriage I can find for a William Westwood where there is also an Annie with the same ref in Brum around that time is in 1888 so could be yours Marriages Dec 1888 TONKS Annie Birmingham 6d 222 WESTBROOK William Birmingham 6d 222
  20. B

St Martins look up 14/11/1780 please

Hi Sparkhill lad. The above marriage was between Peter Fellows (widower) and Ann Roden not Boden I think - it's not very clear. Perhaps someone else can look and see what they think. The witnesses were Joseph and Mary Boswell.
Back