• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. sparks

Lennox Street

Hi I have not visited this site for many months, and what have I been missing. Great photographs and great memories. I lived at 110 from 1936 until we moved to the shop at 72 a few years later. I remember it was early in the war, and it must have been a Sunday. I was sat on the table and mom was...
  2. sparks

50 Years Ago

Just found this photograph taken at Bert and Marge dance studio on the Coventry Road 50 years ago. Would anybody recognise my dancing partners.
  3. sparks

Lucas Shaftmoor Lane Branch Works 3

My Father, Arthur Sparling, was a foreman at Shaftmoor Lane during the war. I believe he was in charge of a large number of women and they made those round swinging gun turrets that fitted under the bombers. The work was very hard and demanding, and eventually he had a nervous breakdown and...
  4. sparks

Birmingham Cinemas

Many thanks Richie, another memory gap filled very professionally.
  5. sparks

Birmingham Cinemas

Hi Judy Yes, the one cinema was the Villa Cross but it is the other cinema that I can't remember the name of.
  6. sparks

Birmingham Cinemas

I seem to remember two cinemas in the Lozells road. One was at the far end near the Soho Road where I used to go on Saturday mornings as an ABC minor, but I seem the remember another building half way along the Lozells Road which had been bombed. We spent many hours playing among the rubble and...
  7. sparks

A sorrow Shared

Thank you all for your kind comments. Many people may not realise that grandparents often suffer a double loss. Not only their grandchild, but their happy and carefree son or daughter.
  8. sparks

A sorrow Shared

A few words I wrote to my daughter following the sudden death of our 21 year old grandson A Sorrow Shared If I could take away your sadness and add it to mine, I would. If I could take away your tears and add them to mine, I would. If I could help you cope with the past and look to the...
  9. sparks

Austin Ruby

My first car was an Ausin Ruby which I bought for £60 while stationed in the RAF near Cirencester. It was in 1953 and I had just got engaged to a local girl. A couple of days after the engagement the dear old RAF posted me north to Turnhill in Shropshire. Every weekend I would make the journey...
  10. sparks

Lozells Harriers

Does this photograph bring back any memories? Lozells Harriers 1952 taken at our training ground at Salford Park More memories
  11. sparks

Wolseley Sheep Shearing Co Witton

There was a very atractive young lady in the drawing office called Sylvia but I had very little contact with anybody outside of the office. Len Gibson does not ring a bell but I must admit to having a very bad memory.
  12. sparks

Wolseley Sheep Shearing Co Witton

Following the killing of the mouse (see City Electric Co) I moved to my second job in 1952 as a trainee draftsman at Wolseley Sheep Shearing Co, as it was then known, in Witton. My mother never told anyone that I was an electricians mate, but decided that a trainee draftsman sounded very posh...
  13. sparks

City Electrical

Many thanks for those pictures Mike. Memories can become faded, photographs refresh. Sparks
  14. sparks

City Electrical

My first job was in 1951 with a company called City Electrical based in the middle of the Jewellery quarter. I was an electricians mate with a salary of £1.7.6. a week, and all our work was replacing the very old wiring in the many tiny rooms used by the jewellery makers. We used to receive...
  15. sparks

Lucas Shaftmoor Lane Branch Works 3

I have not looked at the Birmingham History site for some months and forgot how good it is. My father Arthur Sparling was a Forman at Shaftmoor Lane during the war. Over two hundred women worked in his department making revolving gun turrets for bombers. I remember being taken there one Sunday...
  16. sparks

Lennox Street

Many thanks Ray That worked a treat. Sparks
  17. sparks

Lennox Street

Hi Ray I lived at the shop number 72 Lennox Street from 1936 to 1956 and it was great looking at your maps, and it brought back many memories. Is there any way of seeing these enlarged? Regards Sparks
  18. sparks

Words

I suppose this does come under history, even if it is not local. Working Regulations in a Burnley Cotton Mill Office 1852 I. This firm has reduced the hours of work, and the clerical staff will now only have to be present between the hours of 7 a. m. and 6. p. m. on weekdays. 2. The...
  19. sparks

Lennox Street

Can anyone remember when a barrage balloon that had broken away from its moorings, landed between the two lines of terrace houses near the bottom of Lennox Street, very close to the Brook Tavern? I know it was a Sunday when it landed. It had to be a Sunday because I was sat on the kitchen table...
  20. sparks

Words

What Do You See What do you see nurses, what do you see? What are you thinking when you look at me? A crabbed old woman, not very wise Uncertain of habit, with faraway eyes Who dribbles her food and makes no reply When you say in a loud voice” I do wish you’d try” Who seems not to notice the...
Back