• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. P

can't read text on google chrome

Anybody having problems reading text on the website using google chrome photos are fine but no text it has been fine up until a few days ago, if i use internet explorer or as i am now using mozilla every thing is fine i have tried logging in and out but to no avail. Phil
  2. P

High Park street Nechells

Evening all Its along time since i have posted but i am back and i am after any info on my favourite street HighPark street i have included two attachments of said street what i would like to know would anyone have a detailed map that includes house numbers so that i could pin point where my...
  3. P

mothers maiden same as family

Whilst carrying out my family research i have noticed on certain birth files i have accessed the mothers maiden name is given the same as the family surname would any of you enlightened family history buffs have an explanation for this as it is quite confusing to my old grey matter! phil
  4. P

Before nhs

I have a query as to how people were transported to hospital in an emergency in the days before nhs ambulances, i have a relative that having drunk caustic soda from an unmarked bottle her family took her to the doctors but were advised to take her to hospital which she was but unfortunatley...
  5. P

Masons pop factory

Can anybody tell me the location of the masons pop factory and if possible have a map or photo thanks phil
  6. P

costermonger pub

Could someone enlighten as to the whereabouts of a pub called the costermonger i have a memory of it being in the snow hill area behind the gaumont and i seem to remember pictures of horse racing painted on the interior walls ,or is my memory playing tricks on me. phil
  7. P

Bomb damage photos of WW2

These are four photos that i found on the english heritage site they were taken on 29th july 1942 the first two are of long acre nechells at the junction of long acre/crompton road , the second two are recorded as highgate road sparkbrook looking at the damage the bombing was extensive there is...
  8. P

park road or park lane hockley

I know this is a long shot me and my sister used to visit our aunty gert and uncle jim buckerfield in i think park road or park lane hockley ,we used to get the no8 and seem to remember the road used look as though it was going through a tunnel there was always street lights on when we got of...
  9. P

going on holiday with mom and dad

Friday night dads just come home with the weekly treat ,the TOPPER ,THE BEEZER ,THE DANDY,and THE BEANO , It was a special friday this week , early night tonight bath and then to bed we'll read the comics tomorrow can't get to sleep we're to excited , Saturday morning mom calls us early it's...
  10. P

28 bus route

afternoon all heres one for all the bus experts i used to catch the 28 at the fox and goose to go to the pelham but i cant remember where the bus went after i got off anyone got the bus route as a matter of interest? phil :encouragement:
  11. P

Subways

hi all just finished watching the grand prix (good result for lewis and jenson) but what i want to know is does anyone remember the carpark entrance that you used to use coming up digbeth and went under ground to the car park on the right above the outrigger pub i ask this question after seeing...
  12. P

gas board transport chester st

afternoon all just reading through the pages came across this page ,when i finished my training in the motor trade ie motor mechanic i moved to the the gas boards transport dept in chester street where they carried out mot preps and major repairs to their fleet it was quite daunting coming from...
  13. P

gas board transport chester st

afternoon all just reading through the pages came across this page ,when i finished my training in the motor trade ie motor mechanic i moved to the the gas boards transport dept in chester street where they carried out mot preps and major repairs to their fleet it was quite daunting coming from...
  14. P

old medical records

afternoon all just a quickie does anyone know if you can access old medical records if so is there an online site phil
  15. P

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

just bought the book gangs of birmingham and as i am reading it a lot of the streets appear on this website around aston/nechells and city central area the stories relate to the practice of slogging (stone throwing at each other and strangers) and the peaky blinders now i know it is stories of a...
  16. P

School Clinics

does anybody remember the school clinic that was off gosta green i remember going there to have some teeth pulled when i was younger,the gas mask,then waking up and being sent to a room that had a big long crock sink and running water where other kids where rinsing out their mouths talk about...
  17. P

gro services

good evening all:crying: i am having a frustrating time with the gro i have ordered a birth certificate from them online it has been over a week and i have not had any response from them i have emailled them and got the standard email in reply i have just emailled them again inserting GQ i have...
  18. P

named fathers

good evening all just a query that i dont hold out much hope for, i had a cousin who did not know her father, her mother as far as i am aware did not tell anyone who the father to my cousin was, no body in the family ever new either and it was never discussed ,and i feel it left my cousin to a...
  19. P

pype hayes childrens home

good evening all does anyone have any information about pype hayes childrens home, my uncle was put into this home when his family could not support him after my grandparents died, it sounds awful but he survived the experience ,joined the army got married had kids (my cousins) and had a good...
  20. P

school records

hi all can anybody tell where i can get copies of school records for st clements nechells or kingshurst high school for boys if they are available thanks phil
Back