• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. P

Looking for Inquests Kathleen Bradbury

Thanks Maurice I think there may be chance of access, if any records survive that is, but I have applied for closed records before and found that they are only accessible via a third party who charge the earth, and are usually quite expensive for a little information, which should be in the...
  2. P

Looking for Inquests Kathleen Bradbury

Hi Can anyone tell me which is the most likely newspaper to search for an inquest or coroners report for a death in 1959 in Birmingham. Is the Birmingham Post or Birmingham Mail the most likely, or are there any others I should try. I am looking for an Inquest for Kathleen Bradbury who died...
  3. P

Back to Back houses today

That's the one, the next time I'm at the library I'll check out the 1887 maps and see if it was attached to the shops that fronted Dudley Road, just out of intrest to see how many house it contained. It's nice to see someone else has a little interest in the old house. Does anyone know of any...
  4. P

Yes, that's the one, it's now being used as a garage workshop, the bottom half has probably been opened up, but I haven't been inside, it would be interesting to see what they have done to it, as it now has a commercial use which is the only reason it has survived. I have a few mor pic's but i...
  5. P

It's on the corner of Icknield Port Road and Dudley Road in the corner of Summerfield park you can see it on Google maps on the birds eye view. they've not long knocked down the rest of the houses which I think was probably the court, if you look at the same area on Bing map birds eye view it...
  6. P

Is this the last blind back still standing in Birmingham ? looks like an old back house to me, the front of it is converted into a garage workshop, what do you think ?
  7. P

Library Of Birmingham 2013

I think the only way to improve things is to fill in the feedback forms available on the counters, who knows they might even read them on the way to the recycling bin, call me a cynic if you wish. Maybe the people who are in charge of the new library will take notice of some constructive...
  8. P

Library Of Birmingham 2013

New Library of Birmingham I don't know if there is thread for the new library on here but here goes anyway. I've made a few visits now to do my family research at the new library and apart from being a nice new building, it doesn't really offer much more to family historians than the the old...
  9. P

Vale Street, Birmingham

Thanks Bernie Looks like Vale street is now under New Street station, it looks like it ran parallel with Hill St. Many thanks for your help, I knew you lot would come up with the goods, as always, you can't beat local knowledge Thanks Phill
  10. P

Vale Street, Birmingham

Hi everyone, Does anyone know where Vale Street was in Birmingham. In 1851 it was in the St Jude parish but I am unable to locate its position on today's maps. Many Thanks phill
  11. P

Has anyone seen the houses attached to the Wellington hotel on the corner of Bromsgrove St and Bristol Road, It's now a row of shops called The Diskery, they look very similar to the ones on Hurst St, but without the court at the back. I've looked on the birds eye view on the net and they look...
  12. P

Howard's Place, Birmingham

Thanks mikejee Great stuff. Thanks for your quick reply, there's just one question I'd like to ask and that is, how did you find that information so quickly ?, i googled it with not much luck, maybe i didn't look hard enough but it seems this is the place to ask. thanks again phill
  13. P

Howard's Place, Birmingham

Does anyone know where Howard or Howard's place was in Birmingham, I found this address on a parish register entry for St Jude's church, Birmingham, 1842. I assume it has long since gone, as i cant find it in my 1952 a-z of Birmingham. thanks Phill
  14. P

Ladywood clearance

Thanks Mike That's one i haven't seen before. It's the terraces I'm interested in, about 50 yds up on the right by the look of your photo. If anyone can remember them, Ladywood terrace, Portland terrace, Richmond terrace, providence terrace, Highfield terrace, i would be interested to hear...
  15. P

Ladywood clearance

Thanks everyone The street i am looking for is Friston street, it would be interesting to see if it was still there in 1969. I have looked around the area since and i notice that there is a Friston avenue, but looking at the old maps this is a new road created in the new development. I'm...
  16. P

Ladywood clearance

great photo's Mike If the area wasn't cleared until the late 60's i would imagine there might be some aerial photo's of the area, does anyone know of any ? I have asked at the library but they don't know of any, i just thought that at such a late date there may have been some kind of...
  17. P

Ladywood clearance

Morning everyone. Does anyone know when the slum clearance started in ladywood and are there any photo,s or film of the area just before demolition. I've read the books by carl chinn and some others, but they are general to Birmingham and I'm interested in the Ladywood area. thanks phill
  18. P

Hi wessex I've looked at your back to backs in Bradford and they look like they are of the terrace type of house that replaced back to backs, they appear to have a small rear garden which backs on to another back garden this is not really possible with a back to back house. I know there were...
  19. P

Thanks Jennyann I've also seen some photo's of the nettlefold courts of Friston street on the oldladywood site, it is these terraces that I'm looking for . I know it's pretty remote chance that I'll find anymore photo's of them but this is a good site to ask as it seems there are quite a few...
  20. P

hi phil so what are the chances of a tunnel house being one of the back to back houses that had been modernised, or are they a completely different design ? I have read the book by Carl Chinn, houses for people, and a very good book it is , that's where i read about healing and towing the...
Back