• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. H

Lodge Hill Cemetery

Hi Amanda I have scanned in my map of Lodge Hill and will try and attach it here. If that doesn't work send me your snail mail address privately and I will post you a copy. Sorry it may be on its side!:ambivalence: Regards Helen
  2. H

researching children's homes

This is complicated but stick with it...... My sister-in-law's friend is trying to find out more about her Mother and her Mother's family. However, her Mum grew up in a children's home and apart from her father's name and date of birth, Mum can provide no other information. I have managed to...
  3. H

calculating how much a sum of money in the past is worth today

Perfect answer, that was the site I had lost Thanks so much Helen
  4. H

calculating how much a sum of money in the past is worth today

I used to have a link to a site that could calculate how much a sum of money in the past was worth in today's world. For example, the cheque my Great Grandfather was given on his retirement in 1945 for £25 would be worth over £2,000 in today's money. However, I can't find the link and Google...
  5. H

Family Tree Maker 2012

Dear All Have just managed to load my new Family Tree Maker 2012 onto my new laptop, plus have managed to transfer my old files on FTM2006 from my old PC onto the new lap top AND I have managed to add the free 6 months subscription to Ancestry that came with FTM2012 to our existing...
  6. H

Family Tree Maker 2012

Thanks to everyone for their advise. Have just ordered FTM2012 and will let you know I get on with it and transferring everything over from my old PC to the Laptop. Regards Helen
  7. H

Family Tree Maker 2012

Thank you for all your replies. Sue, I found FTM2006 incredibly easy to use and I was worried that 2012 would be more difficult but Shortie suggests this latest version is just as easy to use. David and Shortie, will the 2012 version take all the information that I have amassed on the 2006...
  8. H

Family Tree Maker 2012

Has anyone had experience of Family Tree Maker 2012? I have been using Family Tree Maker 2006 very happily up until now but the PC I have it on is on it's last legs. So, my darling husband bought me a laptop to replace it which is fantastic but too high powered for FTM2006. Apparently, this...
  9. H

lost regimental number

When we were up in Birmingham library last year my husband found Kenneth in the Army list book they had there so I suspect the copy in our local library in Bath has been "borrowed". Trouble is, I have been seriously ill since January and not fit to travel far a field at the moment, certainly...
  10. H

lost regimental number

My father in law, Kenneth David Grist, was a captain in the Royal Artillery from about 1940 till the end of the war. Until recently we had a document with his regimental number on it but we seem to have mislaid it, just as we were about to send off for his record of service. Our local library...
  11. H

St Martins Church Birmingham

In the course of my family history research I have found several of my ancestors married in St Martins even though they lived in Redditch all their lives. As far as I can work out, they seem to have moved to near St Martins for just long enough to be married there. For example, Eliza Crow...
  12. H

Grandfather was a fireman?

Thanks Len for the link. Thanks too Old Boy for the address, I shall write off today regards Helen
  13. H

Thanks Old Boy, do you think there would be records of my Grandfathers service with the AFB? Helen
  14. H

I was given this photo recently. My Grandfather George John Smith born in Studley in 1906. He lived in either Redditch or Studley all his life. He was a carpenter and worked in a Battery factory in Redditch, I presume on the maintenance team. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few...
  15. H

Woodyatt

Dear Carol I am afraid, at the moment, I can give you little help in your hunt for Stanley A Steadman. The Steadman's are a very minor twiglet on my family tree and only appear because a distant relative married into the family. Sometime, in the future, I may get the time to look at them...
  16. H

Parrot In Bull Ring

I seem to remember a blue and yellow macaw but maybe I was imagining it? H
  17. H

Caring for gravestones

Stuck at home in the snow I thought I would try and order some cleaner for the gravestone I hope to tackle when the weather gets warmer (if it ever gets warmer!) I have tried the Betterware site but can't find the memorial stone cleaner that Wendy suggested. I am about to try the site Phil...
  18. H

Found them at last!!

Yesterday, after 3 years of searching I finally found the final resting place of my great, great grandparents, Thomas and Susan Woodyatt. Thomas died 1916 and Susan in 1935. they are buried in the same plot in Yardley in a private grave Susan must have purchased for Thomas and herself when...
  19. H

What can be gleened from Parish Registers?

Rick If most of the records you need to investigate for the moment are for parishes in what is now termed Birmingham then most of the records or copies of the records be that film or other wise are probably in Birmingham Central Library. Try this link to find out more...
  20. H

Parish Records on Ancestry

Having caught one more than once I nolonger trust LDS Family Search, indeed I trust nobody's research but my own so I double check everything I read on the net! For me, nothing beats visiting the record office that holds the parish records for the parish you are researching and either looking...
Back