• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. C

Spring gardens pub

Hi Frank, was your 2 x great grandfather John Hanson by any chance? If so he is my 2 x great Uncle. He was at the time married to Emma (his second wife). I've found him on the 1881 Census. Cheers. Christina
  2. C

Hanson family of birmingham

Hi Frank In case you wondered who the other person, namely Elizabeth Holmes, is which is on the marriage certificate of John and Hannah, she is the daughter of William Holmes and Elizabeth Hanson, and sister to John. Hope this helps. Regards Chris
  3. C

Hi Frank, thanksfor your note. Like you I'm on ancestry so please feel free to have a look at my Hanson clan. As you say you have to check spellings. Even on birth certificates etc they can be incorrect. I finally found my grandfather's birth, as his name was put down as Ridding and not...
  4. C

Identifying a British Army Uniform

Hello all, I'm doing a bit of research for a friend of mine and she has sent me a photo of one of Birmingham ancestors in what looks like a calvary unform from the 19th Centuary. Is there anywhere I could contact to find out what it is please? Thank you Christina
  5. C

90th Regiment of Foot

Yes it is Birmingham related being as my ancestor whom I was enquiring about, being my 3 times great grandfather was born in Digbeth as were all my ancestors and it seemed strange that somefrom Birmingham was in what was originally a Scottish Regiment. It has now been answered.
  6. C

90th Regiment of Foot

I certainly am a Brummie, right back in my ancestral line to the 1600's. Thanks for the info. It's like my Grandfather who joined the Devonshires for WW! and my Great Uncle who was in the Durham Light Infantry, they certainly recruited from all over. I'll have a look on NTA site and then when...
  7. C

90th Regiment of Foot

Hello out there, can anyone give me some help please? On various birth certificates/marriage certificates I have noticed that my 3 x great grandfather (born 1821) is shown as a Solider. I always doubted this until I had the death certificate of his first wife and in the one section it lists...
  8. C

Infirmary Block Selly Oak Hospital

Hello, not sure if this is the right area to post this, but can anyone help me please? I've just received the death certificate for my 2 x great grandfather and in the section where it says when and where died it says I.B. Raddle Barn Road, Selly Oak. I know the Selly Oak Hospital is in Raddle...
  9. C

Hi Diane. Good to hear from you. Had a look through some of my certificates week end, and even the registry offices mispelt names! Have you tried the Birmingham Library registers on Ancestry? They are really helpful. If you copy over my Hanson family tree onto your tree, you will be able to...
  10. C

Hi Diane No problem that you put Joseph instead of James. There are some Hanson photo's on my tree on Ancestry. The Anson thing is probably because of the letter H being dropped in the Birmingham accent! And of course not being able to read or write they couldn't check it. Always best to...
  11. C

Hello Diane, Thank you for your message. The Hanson born in 1787 in Birmingham (Floodgate Street) married Hannah Westwood (as shown on the1841 Census) are my 3 x great grandparents. Hanson is on my material line. My grandmother was Jane Elsie Hanson, also born in Floodgate Street. Did you...
  12. C

Thomas Street, Balsall Heath

Cheers! Much appreciated.
  13. C

Thomas Street, Balsall Heath

Does anyone know where Thomas Street, Balsall Heath is please. Can't for the life of me remember where it is. Part of my family line. thank you
  14. C

Froggatt Buildings Bordesley Street

Thanks all for your help on this. I found the Frogerry which was demolished in 1852 and now lies under New Street Station. So it seems it was Froggatt Building. Thanks for the OS plan. Now need to find William as a soldier. Regards to all Christina
  15. C

Froggatt Buildings Bordesley Street

Not sure if this is the right place, but need some help. On the 1861 Census I find my great great grandmother Ellen Redding and it says she lives in what looks like Froggatt, Bordesley Street. Now I kow where Bordesley Street is, but what is Froggatt, writing isn't at all clear. Does anyone...
  16. C

Medical Card Reference Numbers

I'm not sure where I should post this, so please forgive me if I've gone in wrong place. On the 1950 Electoral beside the name of my Grandfather it says QAXR/182/1 and my my Uncle QAA/6058524. What does this mean? thank you Christina
  17. C

The Dam Busters

Something on tv news last night. They talked to Johnny Johnson, now aged 91, veterance of the Dambusters. Very moving tosee the Lanceaster flying over Dewentwater, especially the reflection taken from the plane as it went over. There should have been so much more. Don't know if anyone heard...
  18. C

10th Battalion (19th Western Division) Royal Warwicks

Hello Tony Just picked your reply up. Thanks for your help, but I've already sorted this out. He was actually killed at Messines Ridge and I've been a few times to his grave. I've actually written a couple of books following him but only for my family, they will never be published for general...
  19. C

10th Battalion (19th Western Division) Royal Warwicks

Hello Collette, Sorry Idon't have a photo, that and one of my Great Uncle Tom are the only things I don't have. Have medals, was diary and lots of other stuff. I live in hope as you do. Regards Christina
Back