• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. J

Nelson Tavern, Severn Street, Birmingham?

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place but I was struggling to find the correct place for it :-) I have a George Bromage on the 1861 Census living at 16 Severn Street and his occupation is down as Publican and Builder. The family seem to have lived there for a number of years with George...
  2. J

Stephen Mills, Ironmongery

I am trying to find out any information about my 3 x great grandfather. He was born in 1797 in Coventry and died 1875 in Birmingham. He was married to Ann Newey who was the sister of James George Newey who was partner in the company Newey Bros. I am trying to establish a link between the two...
  3. J

One I'd Done

My mother-in-law had us all in stitches the other evening talking about a pub she used to frequent I think in Hingeston Street called the One I'd Done. We all doubted that such a pub ever existed. After much laughter and taking the mickey we phoned my father-in-law to ask him if indeed this...
  4. J

Astwell Primary School

Hi. Does anyone remember this school at all? I think it was situated on Hamstead Road. Seem to remember they wore a green uniform (it may have been a private school). Don't know what makes me think that, perhaps because they seemed posh and had to wear a uniform. I didn't have to do that...
  5. J

Daniel Dickinson Lance Corporal The Royal North Lancs Regiment - 200626

I wonder if anyone could help please. I would love to know more information about Daniel or Dan Dickinson. I have found out from the CWGC that he died on 7th April 1917. I know from family records that he left England for France on 3rd May 1915. I have been unable to find a medal card for...
  6. J

Marriage Look Up Please

I have recently found out that my ggg grandfather Thomas Trotman (b.03/02/1791 Stretton-on-fosse) married Elizabeth Shivington (b.26/04/1794) on 20/10/1810 at St.Martins, Birmingham. I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to have a look at this please and let me know if there is any...
  7. J

1814 Marriage Look Up Please

Charles Birbeck b1790 married a Mary Ann in 1814. I would love to know his parents, her surname if at all possible. Many thanks.
  8. J

The Motor Car

Hi all. I came across a book entitled The Story of 70 Momentus Years which must have been published around 1936. It is a photographic record of The Life and Times of King George V 1865 - 1936. I wasn't sure if the pictures would be of interest to anyone but thought I would post this page and see...
  9. J

Help in Dating Photos

Can anyone help please. I have found some photo's and would like some help in dating them please (approx.) If they are of the family I think they are of, they would be approx. early 1930's.
  10. J

Knights of St. Columba

My mother, Vera Birbeck, did not serve in the forces during the Second World War. I don't really know why. I have come across at card presented to her by the Knights of St. Columba. Can anyone give me anymore information regarding this organisation please?
  11. J

Poem

When the light of day is waning And there's Stillness in the air, We think of the lads so uncomplaining, Fighting for freedom and all that's fair. We think of the lad's that have done their bit, And are now lying wonded in France, We see their lips move in silent prayer, That they may be given...
  12. J

Trotman Family

Help Please. I am trying to find out about my g grandmother, Mary Ann Trotman's family. I know that she was born in 1871 and that her parents were a William Trotman (born about 1843 in Welford) and Sarah A. (?) born 1835 in Norfolk. She also had a brother Ernest born about 1881. I wonder if...
  13. J

Christmas Menu 1945

I have found amongst my dad's things a Menu for Christmas 1945 when he was in Naples, Italy. Not sure if I'm posting in the correct place but thought you may find it of interest.
  14. J

Dudley Road

Can anyone help please. I have a death certificate which states the place of death as being 77 Dudley Road. This was in 1929. As this was not his home address, could anyone tell me please would this have been Dudley Road Hospital? Thank you.
  15. J

Theodore St. Mission

Help please. I have found a book that was given as a prize to my grandmother Selina Heath (known as Cissy). I imagine that it was a book given as a Sunday School award. She married in 1923 so it would have been given to her before then. Can anyone throw any light please onto where Theodore...
  16. J

Silver Box Dated Christmas 1914

I have come across a silver box engraved Christmas 1914 the bottom. It is quite hard to read the engraving at the top. In the middle is a ladies head encircled by what looks like laurel leaves. Each side of the head is the letter M. In the four corners of the box starting top left, is the...
  17. J

Midnight At St. Andrews

Whilst looking through some of my dad's old papers, I came across a poem he had copied down onto a scrap of paper. Apologies to all Blues fans out there - but UP THE VILLA! It was midnight at St. Andrews The terraces were bare, No crowds, no cheers, no goals but there seldom ever were. But...
  18. J

Robert Birbeck - Printer

I have been researching my Birbeck ancestors and with quite good success. My gg Granddad was a Robert Birbeck b1827 St. Martins, Worcester. I have found him on various census, in 1871 he is a printer compositor living at 42 Summer St, Edgbaston 1881 he is a Letter press printer compositor...
  19. J

Aston Villa Wesleyan Chapel

Does anyone have any information/photographs about this church. My grandparents Charles Birbeck and Selina Heath married there in 1923. Thank you.
  20. J

Charles Birbeck

My grandfather was Charles James Lewis Birbeck. He married my nan Selina Heath at Aston Villa Wesleyn Chapel on 9th June 1923. His address at the time of marriage was 31 Nursery Road, Aston. His father was a Charles Stephen Birbeck (deceased) His occupation was a telephone mechanic G.P.O...
Back