• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. J

T. Elvins & Sons Ltd

Hi Alan gosh I remember you and Jayne well. I was Julie Dauncey and married my boyfriend of fhe time Paul though not til after we had been engaged for 11 years lol. I still remember pulling on your tie and it coming off in my hands as it was a clip on . I've ended up working for a chartered...
  2. J

Burbury Street

Hi, we were born in the same year in Burbury Street. I also went to Anglesey Street School. I seem to remember either a John or an Alan Kelly (it was such a long time ago). I was Julie Dauncey in those days, friends I remember from Anglesey Street School were Alison Nash or Alison Nicholls...
  3. J

John Rabone & Sons of Hockley rulers tapes and tools

Think the Bow Works refers to Rabone's factory in Sheffield
  4. J

Re: raybones rulers and tapes and tools ;of hockley ; Did Rabones leave Hockley in 1990? Is this where Bow Works was located? Found this tape measure among some old stuff of my brothers
  5. J

My brother Philip Dauncey and my mother in law Pauline McKee both worked at Rabones. My brother I'm sure worked as a tool setter with Alan Layton and my mother in law worked putting the bubble into spirit levels. They both worked there for a good number of years during the '70's '80's and 90's...
  6. J

Oldest group photo of Aston Villa

I haven't been on the forum for ages and have missed reading all kinds of interesting posts :-) I have been reviewing the information I have on Frank Moss. I have (hopefully) attached a photo of Frank's baptism record. It seems that he wasn't born in Phillips Street as stated. At his baptism...
  7. J

T. Elvins & Sons Ltd

I'd also forgotten about having to record all the letters sent in the post book and postage costs and making it all balance, I also remember the walk to Hockley Post Office to buy stamps. Mr. Hughes was still working there in the Accounts Office!!!
  8. J

T. Elvins & Sons Ltd

Tim Eborn - you have brought back a memory with your post of the dreaded book and the red line that was drawn through at 9.00 AM and I started working there in 1982!! I had completely forgotten all about that. Yes it was a Dickensian company even then. I was office junior and also had to...
  9. J

Nelson Tavern, Severn Street, Birmingham?

Thanks for all your help :-)
  10. J

Pollypops this is amazing thank you! The Caroline Ann Jackson entry says she was the adopted daughter of Emma Talkington. Indeed Caroline was living with Emma on the 1891 Census. Curiosity was aroused, not because Caroline was living with her aunt Emma, but because of this newspaper cutting...
  11. J

Dingley's Hotel

I have an interest in the Dingley's Hotel. The 1891 census shows one of my ancestors Annie Emma Talkington as head of this establishment. Would that be unusual in those days for the manageress to be a woman. She married a Corn Dealer in 1905 a Mr. John Millward and as far as I can tell was...
  12. J

This is a sad notice showing the death of a child. Yes this is part of my Bromage family. Reuben Thomas Bromage was the son of George and Frances Bromage. I hadn't found him or his twin brother before so this gave me something to go on. Sadly his twin brother a Harry Bromage also died in 1865...
  13. J

Pollypops thank you for so much information. This makes me wonder about Frances Bromage's relationship with her daughter. Was her daughter running up debts I wonder. Fanny E. Daniels died in 1871 and I wonder if she was ill in 1870 when this notice was posted it was a way of ensuring should...
  14. J

Have found the probate record you mentioned Janice :-) I wonder who Annie Emma Susan Chant Price was? Emma Talkington had a daughter Annie Emma Talkington b1855 in Birmingham. She married late in life in 1905 aged 50 to John Millward. He was the proprietor of Dingley's Hotel in Moor Street...
  15. J

Thanks for the information Janice. I did have some of it - will have to find the info on later census relating to Emma Talkington. Where was William Street? I am looking through some of my family history and trying to put it into context i.e. where in Birmingham they were living. Today I...
  16. J

Thank you mikejee - that's brilliant and so interesting. The map also shows Fordrough Street which is where my great grandparents also lived. I think they had a bakery there. George Bromage was my great great grandfather. Nice to see parts of Birmingham that now no longer exist. Thanks again.
  17. J

Ive just found reference to Nelson Tavern on the 1891 census, this time under the name of Emma Talkington, the daughter of Frances Bromage.
  18. J

Thank you Janice - what does the term beer retailer mean - would it be like an "outdoor" rather than a pub? Strange that it was recorded as the Nelson Tavern on the 1861 census - maybe they had visions of grandeur lol
  19. J

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place but I was struggling to find the correct place for it :-) I have a George Bromage on the 1861 Census living at 16 Severn Street and his occupation is down as Publican and Builder. The family seem to have lived there for a number of years with George...
  20. J

Key Hill Cemetery Memorial Inscriptions

Thanks for your help pollypops. I will take your advice and not go alone - not sure when I will be able to get over that way but when I do I will be sure to take some photo's myself.
Back