• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. ladylinda

hurst st

I remember the Hykells very well. They played Longbridge Social a lot when I was a glass collector/barmaid!!
  2. ladylinda

Rusgrove music shop

1911 at 160 and 162 High St Smethwick Albert Richard RUSGROVE,aged 41 born 1870 Gloucester, Dealer In Musical Instruments Lilly Jane RUSGROVE, Wife aged 40 born 1871 Langley Green Hilda May RUSGROVE, Daughter,aged 17 born 1894 Smethwick Office Clerk Eric Albert RUSGROVE, Son,aged 15 born...
  3. ladylinda

Barnett Elijah Looking for 1900

I think we need to see a bit more of it, please, to compare the handwriting.
  4. ladylinda

Phelps family of ford street hockly brook 1950s

Re: the phelps family of ford street hockly brook 1950s Hi Astonian, Have sent you an I M
  5. ladylinda

Logging in, logging off

I never log out and have never been timed out! I have "remember me" ticked.
  6. ladylinda

Portrait of a Lady From William H Clarke Framer 82, Soho Hill Hockley any ideas?

William Henry Clarke lived at 80 Soho Hill with wife Florence Elizabeth (nee Shemmell) in 1911. He is aged 31, and occupation given was picture frame manufacturer on own account. William and Florence had been married 6 years
  7. ladylinda

Samuel Garbett

Does this help? 1911 at 6 /39 Burbury St Birmingham Frederick Carter,aged 35 born 1876 Carrick Fergus Ireland, Milkman Elizabeth Wife aged 30 born 1881 Birmingham Ernest Son aged 8 born 1903 Birmingham Elizabeth Daughter aged 7 born 1904 Birmingham Reeve Son aged 3 born 1908...
  8. ladylinda

Donnelly ancestors

Susan, if you click on Doug's name on his post, you can send him an instant message, which won't be seen by other members. Hope this helps
  9. ladylinda

Bandstands

Muntz Park in Selly Park, didn't have a"bandstand" as such, but a stage and seating where they had concerts. The park was used from its earliest days for music, dancing and games. In recognition of its use by local people, the Civic Society in 1923 gave a grant of £300 to re-landscape the park...
  10. ladylinda

Charles William Page Motor Driver Army Service Corps

Do you have the following? 1911 at 13 Alfred Terrace Osler St Birmingham Charles Page,aged 50 born 1861 Bham Labourer Annie Page,Wife aged 42 born 1869 Bham Charwoman Charles Page,Son aged 13 born 1898 Bham Warwickshire Married 16 years In 1901 they were living at 155, Ledsam Street...
  11. ladylinda

Police Books

Hi, found this in The History of Wiltshire Constabulary The first female police officer in Wiltshire was employed by Salisbury City Force in 1918. Miss Florence Mildred White, a former schoolmistress, was appointed at the age of 45! Miss White was born at Warminster in December 1873. For eleven...
  12. ladylinda

Birch family of Aston

1911 Frances Donnelly aged 43 born 1868 Dublin (?) Labourer Harriet Donnelly Wife aged 31 born 1880 Oxon Banbury Margaret Donnelly Daughter aged 5 born 1906 Birmingham William Donnelly Son aged 8 Mths born 1911 Birmingham Francis Donnelly Son Single aged 15 born 1896 Errand Boy Birmingham...
  13. ladylinda

Cowper Street Address Claification

Mikejee is the one for maps. There is one on one of the Cowper St threads, but it doesn't show that court.
  14. ladylinda

Cowper Street Address Claification

12 court, 8 house Cowper Street
  15. ladylinda

Arrowsmith Family Boatmen

Couldn't see a George Albert, but there is a George Alfred who appears to turn his name around! Births Registered Sep 1870 Alfred George Arrowsmith Birmingham 6d 124 Marriages Registered Sep 1893 George Alfred Arrowsmith Aston 6d 511 Ann Maria Griffin Aston 6d 511 1901 as...
  16. ladylinda

Hilda Florence Fenemore

It appears she was a married lady? There was a marriage of a Harry Fenemore to a Hilda F Gardner Bicester 3a 2599 June 1926. They are living in Hordern Ave NSW and it would appear he was in the Royal Australian Navy in 1933? There was also this birth that could tie in with the above? Births Mar...
  17. ladylinda

157/161 St lukes Road Edgbaston

In 1881, before marrying Alfred Eades in 1886, Ellen was living with the Randall family at 12, Sandy Lane, Aston, and had a daughter, Lily, aged 10 months. There is a family tree on Ancestry (Reardon) with her details on.
  18. ladylinda

TB Sanatorium 1940's

The main TB Sanatorium in Birmingham was the Yardley Sanatorium situated in Yardley Green Road This thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=21835 has a few members memories on it. The pictures won't show as they were lost last year when the site was "hacked".
  19. ladylinda

Listed in the Canadian 1891 Census there is a Samuel Chance aged 17 born England working as a farmhand in Usborne,Perth South,Ontario. Religion Methodist and both parents born England. There is also a Thos William Chance aged 20 in 1891 born England working as a labourer in Essex South,Malden...
  20. ladylinda

There is a William Thomas Chance aged 10, and Samuel Chance aged 9, passengers on the "Parisian" sailing to Quebec bracketed under the name "Mr Middlemore" with about 60 other children over the age of 3. Sailed from Liverpool, England and date of arrival was 19 Jun 1881. Voyage lasted 30 days.
Back