• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. O

Templefield Road Stores

Hi Graham. I'd heard that the property was subsequently used as a club but well after my grandfather's death in 1915. If you have any photos, that would be good. Do you know when it was demolished?
  2. O

Templefield Road Stores

You're most welcome Ashley...let's hope that someone out there has some photos of Miles Street! Regards. oldmangonewest
  3. O

Templefield Road Stores

Hello aston lad. According to records, my great grandfather lived at 17 and 18 Templefield St (around 1901). Soon after, in 1904, he'd moved to 22 and a half - which was the Stores (see my original posted picture). Pity he wasn't on the picture but the lady is my great grandmother, Ellen and her...
  4. O

Templefield Road Stores

I guess your grandmother would have known my great grandfather (Philip Nutting) then - he lived there until his death in 1915 (I am led to believe in very sad circumstances). My great grandmother and children eventually left to live in the Black Country but I don't know when they left...
  5. O

Templefield Road Stores

Hi Ashley.Thank you for posting - don't worry that you can't help - thanks for your interest! The time I was talking about is getting on for 100 years ago when my great grandad lived there! My original photo of Templefield Stores should be available for you to see at my first post in this thread...
  6. O

Lucas Marshall Lake Road Shirley

Hello My Dad, Ray Nutting used to work for Lucas, initially at Shaftmoor Lane between the late 1940's and the late 1950's and again after a gap at Marshall Lake Road (I don't know when he started there) until his retirement in the mid 1970's. I came across these photos, which Lucas people may...
  7. O

Templefield Road Stores

Many thanks. A building like that sounds very much like a social club doesn't it. I am not surprised to hear about the fights - nothing changes does it? :disillusionment:I am surprised to learn though that there were a number of shops in the road at all - apart from number 22 - and of course...
  8. O

Templefield Road Stores

My current pictures below may help to identify the club location? but presently they don't seem to work from Coppermine and I can't upload them from my computer. Think I may have to wait until my account allows me to upload. From my understanding of what mikejee says, my great-grandfather's...
  9. O

Sarah Street, Birmingham B9

I have received this picture of a shop on the corner of Sarah St and Lower Dartmouth St. Can't make out too much detail but it's definatley Sarah St and looking in the direction of St Andrews.
  10. O

Templefield Road Stores

My great grandfather died in 1915, so it's probable that the Stores "disappeared" soon after. Here are 4 photos of todays Templefield St - taken last week! Hope this works!
  11. O

Templefield Road Stores

Sorry - only just got back onto the forum! Many thanks for the information Horsencart and Mike - I can see you've really worked hard on this for me. It all suggests that Philip leased the property. Really hope that someone has other photos to post of the street. I was out and about last week...
  12. O

Templefield Road Stores

Hello Does anyone have any pre-war (either War!) photos of houses in Templefield Street, B9? I have this photograph below of my great grandfather’s store –numbered 22½ Templefield Street, where he is recorded on the 1911 Census. From the 1901 Census, he was living at 17 to 18 Templefield Street...
  13. O

Thanks ever so much ladylinda and mikejee - absolutely brilliant. Looking at the triangle of land there as I did yesterday, I find it stunning that it enabled about 30 or so properties to be built!! I guess it was a hard ask if anyone had photos of the street but thanks for this information. I...
  14. O

Hello Does anyone have any pre-war photos of houses in Sarah Street, B9? I have some contemporary photos of the houses there currently - numbered 3 to 17 (excl 13!) - I wonder how old these are? I'm interested in number 20 in particular - I assume it must have been where the current grassed...
  15. O

M.M.Lilley packing case makers

Hello Around 1925, my grandfather Francis David Nutting was living with a John Lilley and his family (wife, Agnes and sons Fred and John) at 31 Dawson St, Small Heath. My grandad started a packing case makers company (no idea when he started, I’m afraid) with his brother - Nutting Bros (Ltd) at...
  16. O

Beaumont - Nutting

If she didn't model - she ought to have :friendly_wink:!
  17. O

Beaumont - Nutting

Wow Suzanne - pure gold! Thank you so much. According to her marriage certificate and a note on the back of a photo from my grandad - she was Annie Madge but I guess Mabel it is for the purposes of research. You've also solved another mystery too - why I have a burial certificate for a John...
  18. O

Beaumont - Nutting

Hello My grandmother, Annie Madge Nutting (nee Beaumont b1891 d1928), pictured here was apparantly a model at some stage of her life and allegedly had her photograph put on some tins of chocolate or biscuits or something of the like. This all sounds rather spurious and may be apocryphal but I...
  19. O

Amalgamated Society of Railway Servants ; George Hayes ; Nutting

Thanks Paul. Just thought it might have been a job with a bit more prestige...such as repairing cars....but sounds about right!! David
  20. O

Amalgamated Society of Railway Servants ; George Hayes ; Nutting

Thank you Suzanne and Mike. A lot to get my head around! It all makes sense though - Florence Elvidge went on to marry my grandfather in 1930 after his first wife, Annie Madge Beaumont, died in 1928. The connection between George and my grandad - who of course died way before I was born, is...
Back