• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. S

Railway Spike Forger

Can anyone tell me exactly how railway spikes were made back in the 1860's? One of my ancestors was a blacksmith in Birmingham and his occupation is often given as "Spike forger". Am I right in thinking this would be railway spikes and if so would they have been made by hand at a small forge, or...
  2. S

Electric Picture House Cinephone Bristol St/wrentham St

Hi, Does anyone have any information about the theatre on this 1916 Godfrey map? Its at the junction of Bristol Street and Wrentham Street. A lot of my family lived on Wrentham Street in the early 1900's and I wondered if this was a place they would have gone to for entertainment - assuming they...
  3. S

1/5th Battalion Royal Warwicks August 1916

Does anyone know where the 1st/5th Battalion Royal Warwicks were in August 1916? Were they at the Somme? My grandfather was with the Royal Warwicks and he named my father after Sergeant Clarence Steane who was killed in action in France August 24th 1916. Steane was with the 1st/5th. Any help...
  4. S

Crossed rifles uniform badge

Can anyone tell me if this uniform badge is from WW1? Is it a sharpshooter badge? I have some ancestors who were involved in WW1, but I also have an ancestor who was a Sargeant with the Monmouthshire Regiment in the 1850's. Is it possible it could be from back then? Thanks for any help you can...
  5. S

Odd shaped photo

I found this photo amongst old family pics. It has a weird shape and I wonder if anyone knows why? Judging by the women's clothes it dates to early 1900's. The greenish paper the photo is printed on is 3 1/4 inches x 2 1/2 and is completely blank other than the photo area. Thanks for any...
  6. S

Perry Barr Tram

Hi, Does anyone know when this tram was running? It has "Perry Barr" on the side and "no. 18" on the "engine". I think one of my relatives is in the front. Thanks Skillion
Back