• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

Copies of Brummagem Magazines

Hi Rob - my emails are being bounced back from your email address (work and personal). Do you wish to mail me on [email protected] please. Carl
  2. C

Mansfield Road

I take it "whoops" refers to posting twice! However, I would apply the term to what they did to Mansfield Road by demolishing half of it.....whoops indeed. Carl
  3. C

Mansfield Road

I'm sure I've read about a Millington the coal dealer on another thread somewhere....... I know that my grandmother ran a bit of a coal business from Mansfield Road (which would have been sometime around 1913)
  4. C

Mansfield Road

So I wonder what number C. Millington Coal and General Merchants was then? I must get over there and check out the street numbers. I know a lot of the houses towards Witton Road end were demolished in the 70's.........
  5. C

Mansfield Road

Hi there. Please find attached an exquisite picture of Mansfield Road Aston from coronation day 1911 I managed to acquire this week. My grandad was born at No. 29 in June 1913. I am interested to hear all of your comments and contributions regarding which end of Mansfield Road this was taken for...
  6. C

Park Lane...Aston

Thank you for the picture of Burlington School. I have a copy of this and it is an excellent shot. Are there any more pictures of the school out there I wonder? I also have an interest in pictures of Mansfield Road - although this seems even rarer. Carl
  7. C

Park Lane...Aston

Thank you for confirmation. Out of interest how is it possible to obtain images like this from, I believe, 1889? Is there a site to subscribe to? Carl
  8. C

Park Lane...Aston

here is a picture looking back (I think anyway) from the same corner - which show the Shareholders Arms/Pub at the top of Potters Hill looking down Park Lane (High Street behind us. Picture is from 1969 I believe and clearly the Shareholders has had some modernisation work done to the outside!
  9. C

Park Lane...Aston

You are absolutely right. Brilliant detective work. Would that make the property on the corner the Shareholders Arms?
  10. C

Park Lane...Aston

Obviously this was many years ago. Yes, Matt and Pearl moved to Cannock. My mom and dad bought a house in the same road as them and my mom still lives there today. I grew up with Matt and Pearls son's, Paul, Ian, Neal and Mathew. Matt sadly dies about 5 years ago and Pearl now lives in a...
  11. C

Park Lane...Aston

The caption I obtained with this image says that the arrow is pointing at number 38 Park Lane but I' not sure about this. Does anyone know the road further down on the left in the picture? A really old one this - this shows the old turnpike at Aston Cross looking up Park Hall Lane later to be...
  12. C

Park Lane...Aston

Here are a few more pictures I have of Park Lane.....
  13. C

Park Lane...Aston

Wow Sylvia. June Vaux is my cousin (as are all the Vaux family of course). June's mom was my nan's sister. It has been quite a few years since I was in contact with them but you may remember her older sister Pearl, younger sister Joy maybe? her brother Roy.....If you want anymore information...
  14. C

Park Lane...Aston

OK - here are some more! The photo to the left was taken on 8th September 1969. Number 2 Potter’s Hill has been demolished (when?) - but surrounding houses are still almost identical to 50 years earlier. My interest in this corner plot is that it used to be a butchers and my great grandfather...
  15. C

Park Lane...Aston

Sorry if I caused confusion with 2 threads of Park Lane.... What with the loss of many pictures due to the hacking I am going to post all my Park Lane pictures on here. Hopefully people will enjoy those not seen before (although I'm sure they will have). It would also be nice for those who...
  16. C

Park Lane...Aston

Re: Park Lane, Aston Here is another one! This picture taken September 1969 this is the same view as previous – just slightly further up. Dad’s alley is just visible on the far right of the picture. The whole road had only months left before it was bull dozed to the ground…I wonder who the boy...
  17. C

Park Lane...Aston

Re: Park Lane, Aston It's been a while since I uploaded any images on here so bear with me if I get it wrong.... The photo is of Park Lane taken on the 29-9-1952 looking in the direction of the Bartons Arms
  18. C

Park Lane...Aston

OMG! I LOVE the second picture. Immediately left of the houses sticking out is where my dad was born and grew up. I have found a picture taken from a bit further down and looking back up towards top of Park Lane - picture quality does not match these though - Carl
  19. C

Park Lane...Aston

Aston Lad - many thanks for your help - I have managed to get a copy for £23 - now to get down to reading it :-) Carl
  20. C

Park Lane...Aston

Aston Lad - thanks for that information. I have searched online under that name and title and found a site that contains some of the information from that book. One of the images suggests that Park Lane was in existence in 1840 (though there is no suggestion of houses in existence or not). I...
Back