• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. ALB10N

Digbeth Music Hall London Museum Music Hall

The Arthur Lloyd site states it opened on 24 December 1863, but it was ready to open much earlier according to an earlier newspaper report..... It gained it's licences in late August.
  2. ALB10N

The Last Post

https://www.snopes.com/music/songs/taps.asp https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Post
  3. ALB10N

Birmingham Statue Campaign

Another suggestion was to have King Kong back... ;)
  4. ALB10N

Birmingham Statue Campaign

Someone on the radio, yesterday, suggested that a wrecking ball and crane knocking down old buildings would be a very suitable to represent Birmingham.... Both unfunny & funny at the same time...
  5. ALB10N

An unidentified object on a disused churchyard

There's a very similar one on https://www.flickriver.com/photos/wilfy2007/5456389735/ The grave of Sarah Wrench (1833-1848), by the North wall of the chancel at St. Edmund's Church, East Mersea, Essex, is unusual for an English grave because it is covered by a mortsafe, a protective cage used...
  6. ALB10N

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

bxzcbzfghzghz
  7. ALB10N

Help finding my Uncle

Sorry TAY.... I'm still at a loss to know the answer to most of my questions above. None of my Cousins have any information on this part of the family..... Joe died around 1970, (can't remember off-hand) then the family went to live in Australia. Whether they all went, i've no idea. I'll look...
  8. ALB10N

Searching for a street or building....

Cheers for that. :courage: I have used that site before and it'll be very helpful for most of what i want,.. i think? lol BiLL
  9. ALB10N

Thanks for the info. I'll use FMP once i get all the info together for what i'm looking for. :courage: Thanks again! BiLL
  10. ALB10N

Cheers Sue... I've already used the Electoral roll site, which helps a lot. I'm looking for places in 1891, 1901 & 1911 mainly. Not all in Birmingham, but most are. I just assumed there'd be a breakdown of this information somewhere, at least. I'll probably transcribe it all myself then post it...
  11. ALB10N

Is there an easier way to search for a street or building in the Census's rather than ploughing through endless pages....? I'm using the Census Summary Books on Ancestry to narrow them down, obviously a 'name' would help, but i'm not doing that sort of research. For Birmingham, you could have...
  12. ALB10N

The William Tyler at the Yew Tree

Hiya kids.... ;) I received an answer from J D Wetherspoon today about why the pub is being called 'William Tyler'. "Farming was the way of life in Yardley into the early twentieth century. The centuries-old trade of tile making was first carried out by farmers and also lasted into...
  13. ALB10N

Sorry.... My first attempt with a photo' since the new way.... It's just a map from the book i referred to..... :friendly_wink:
  14. ALB10N

This is from "Acocks Green History Society" & where the name possibly comes from.... Brick and tile making in Yardley The standard work on early Yardley is Victor Skipp’s Medieval Yardley. This is an extract from chapter 19: Fifteenth and Early Sixteenth Century Crafts, with associated...
  15. ALB10N

The Sydenham Golden Hillock Road

I'm looking for more information around the time Frank and Gaynor ??????? ran it.....
  16. ALB10N

The Sydenham Golden Hillock Road

Hi Phil, that photo' is one that i found..... Still can't find one later. Morturn... Do you remember a barmaid in there, name of Carole Baker? Just wonderin'.
  17. ALB10N

Brummie sayings & language

My Mom used the word 'Blart' or 'Blarting' for someone crying.... Looking for it on a search engine, it means something completely different. There's a mention of it meaning crying up north....... She ain't never been there though. :)
  18. ALB10N

Marlborough Park (Recreation ground)

You got it Col..... Everyone i talk to knows it as "Blakesley Park" (Blakesley school park, etc). It baffled me as to why someone from the council didn't even know where it was. :)
Back