• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. G

Sherlock Street

My grandfather jacob Winter lived at 11 Sherlock Street from around 1918-1926. It was a four storey building including a tailoring factory and the family lived on the 4th floor. I was wondering what Kellys and the electoral roll told about the occupants from around 1918-1926. Thanks in advance...
  2. G

Doughtys dale end 1911-1915

Dear Gang, I have just realised that the Dale End referred to in my Grand Uncles letters of 1915 was in Birmingham. To quote he says "He enjoyed roaming to Doughty's in Dale End with his sister". Doughty's could be a shop or eating place. I saw there was an Imperial Arcade in the area which...
  3. G

Maiers Winter Family Update IV-The Moise Berman Connection?

Part IV-Maiers Winter Family Update MOISE BERHMAN-UNCLE? He was the Uncle Moise Behrman that Isaac Winter stayed with in 1904 in New York at 94 E Broadway. In the 1905 census the family are still at 94 and Moise is a Merchant-Woollens. The 1910 census has Moise Berman (Traveller and selling...
  4. G

Maiers Winter Family update-Part III

Maiers Winter Family update-Part III- THE CHILDREN CONTINUED FANNY WINTER-DAUGHTER When Fanny visited Yetta in 1953 she gave the next of kin address of 4547 Sheridan Road, Chicago along with her sister’s name of Rose Winter. Fanny was 5 feet 2 inches tall with a fair complexion, brown hair and...
  5. G

Maiers Winter Update Part II

Maiers Winter Update Part II-THE CHILDREN SIMON WINTER-SON It seems that Simon died young in the Erdington Infirmary, Aston and at the same time as his mother. I was wondering if this could be our Simon-though of course the birth year is out. I believe Erdington Infirmary was the workhouse...
  6. G

Maiers Winter family Update-Part 1

Maiers Winter family Update- Part 1- Birth certificate from Poland UPDATE ON MAIERS WINTER FAMILY LIVING IN BIRMINGHAM FROM 1886-1920? INTRODUCTION After a saga starting on July 8th and finishing only on September 23rd did I get the elusive birth certificates from Poland. The lack of...
  7. G

Maiers winter family update request

Dear Gang, I have had a lot of help from you regarding Maiers Winter who lived in Birmingham at 121 St Lukes Road in 1912 and in 1920 he lived at 98 St Lukes Road with his son Enoch, Maiers married Deborah Winter in Poland and had the following children 4 children were born in Poland: Simon...
  8. G

Birmingham connections (1901-1940) jacob winter part 9 FINAL PART

LEVY BARNETT JOSEPH ABRAHAMSON LETTER 1915 This was the Tailor that supplied Joseph Abrahamson with his shirts in 1915. I have found the Levy family on the 1891 census living at 12 Moscow Street, Leeds. Israel 39. Leah 32. Barnett 13. Nathan 9. Fanny aged 8 months. This might be a...
  9. G

Birmingham connections (1901-1940) jacob winter part 8

SAMUEL CAVE (Naturalisation 1898) FANNY ABRAHAMSON EMPLOYER 1913-1915 In one of the Joseph Abrahamson letters a.Mr. Davis.is mentioned along with.Mr. and Mrs. Cave. I have worked out who Mr. Cave was, as I knew his address, because.Fanny Winter nee Abrahamson.worked there between the years...
  10. G

Look ups on Louis Cohen and E. Cohen of Birmingham 1890-1930s

Dear Gang, I just had this thought that Jacob Winter's first wife Tilley Cohen might be connected to Deborah Caro nee Cohen. It is certainly an avenue that has not been explored. The infomation I have on Tillys family is sparse: Her Father Louis Cohen was a provision merchant and lived...
  11. G

Birmingham connections (1901-1940) jacob winter part 7

MOSS LOUIS RAINBOW (Naturalised 1924) (Moss Leizer Regenbogen from Poland) FANNY ABRAHAMSON EMPLOYER 1911-1913 I know Fanny's first employee in Birmingham was.Louis Rainbow- a furniture seller..His wife was.Rose Davis-.who died at the end of 1910. This seems to me the reason why...
  12. G

Re: Birmingham connections (1901-1940) jacob winter part 6

JACOB ENGLEMAN NATURALISATION CERTIFICATE SIGNATORY 1910 He was an Insurance Agent. Engleman Jacob addresses 1911-1920 59 Clevedon Road 1927 37 Pershore Road 1930 130 St Luke's Road JOSEPH ENGLEMAN NATURALISATION CERTIFICATE SIGNATORY 1910 He was a musician...
  13. G

Birmingham connections (1901-1940) jacob winter part 5

LEWIS PUTZMAN (Naturalisation 1909) JACOB WINTER TOOK PREMISES FROM HIM IN JUNE 1908 Annie - Lewis Putzman’s wife was from Kleczew like the Caro family and many of their children were born there. I think Jacob Winter and the Putzman family knew each other well. June 1908 Winter Jacob...
  14. G

Birmingham connections (1901-1940) jacob winter part 4

YETTA ISON PHILLIP KAPLAN’S SISTER IN LAW FEBRUARY 1908-Phillip was married to Jacob Winter's sister-Rosa. We now know that Yetta Ison was a Winter and thus most likely Rose Winter’s half sister. Natalie Lamb suspects that Yude Winter married twice. Firstly, he married Ryfka Bryks and then...
  15. G

Birmingham connections (1901-1940) jacob winter part 3

HYMAN WOLOFOSKY (Emigrated to Canada) FIRST JACOB WINTER WEDDING SIGNATORY-1906 It is possible that Hyman- a Tailor was living at 45 Bristol Street in 1906 when Jacob Winter had his first marriage. We know that he was there in 1907/1908 see addresses below. Maiers Winter (the other...
  16. G

Birmingham connections (1901-1940) jacob winter part 2

JACOB WEINCIER LANDLORD OF JACOB WINTER 1901 1901 Census-31 Lower Essex Street, Birmingham. Jacob Winter was a lodger of the Weincier family. Jacob Weincier emigrated to South Africa on 24th May, 1902 but the rest of his family followed later. Jacob Winter left for the USA September 1902...
  17. G

Birmingham connections (1901-1940) jacob winter part 1

Dear Gang, I had so much help from this Forum I thought I would share my findings with you: In the course of my research I came across the following people who had some connections with the Winter family in Birmingham. Here is the story of those links. DEBORAH CARO MARKS WINTER...
  18. G

Jacob Winter VII- What Happened after

1940 ONWARDS In the 1940s we find Jacob and Fanny living with their son Bevis, after the business had been run into the ground by a manager installed as Jacob became too sick. Mum tells me that the psoriasis (a particularly nasty skin disease) appeared in 1949 after a bout in the sun at...
  19. G

Jacob winter vi disaster in birmingham

JACOB WINTER'S BUSINESS COLLAPSE 26th September, 1934 was the end of Jacob Winter’s Business Empire when he was forced to sell the contents of his rented mansion at 43 Charlotte Road, Edgbaston to pay The Birmingham Industrial Loan Company Ltd. The amount came to 95 pounds 16 shillings and 6...
  20. G

Jacob Winter Part V SECOND FAMILY

JACOB WINTER'S SECOND FAMILY Jacob married Fanny (Freda) Abrahamson on 30th August 1916. Now Jacob’s father Abraham Yuda Winter is deceased. Fanny was born in Leeds in 1890 and died in Brighton on 20th August, 1972. Jacob (Jack) Winter died in 1959 in Hove. They are both buried at the Jewish...
Back