• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. D

Bordesley Green Grammar Technical School

Is there anyone left to exchange information about this wonderful institution? It seems to have gone cold. Where are they now, the 69 and 70 year-olds who peopled my formative years? You may rhink I'm a sad old duffer but I can still recite my class register from 1957! After five years, I left...
  2. D

Gangs of Birmingham

Is it still possible to post here? My grandmother used to tell me about the Peaky Blinders as she lived beside the canal at Lock House, Bowyer Street, Bordesley from 1888 until 1914, when she was married and moved to Yardley. Lock House was a tied cottage owned by canal carriers, Fellows, Morton...
  3. D

Royal Warwickshire 1/8 Battalion

For Catkin The link below is from a Pte Niblett of the Royal Gloucesters and is part of a Niblett family History. There is a ictures of Pte Niblett which may help with identification: https://members.westnet.com.au/Telbin/niblett/ww1dad.htm Hope this helps
  4. D

Rupedenby Many thanks indeed for the extract from your grandfather's book showing the date of my grandfather's death. Terry has also very kindly posted pages from a book in which my grandfather's name appears. My grandmother always used to say that he did not need to serve abroad. he had been...
  5. D

Terry You know, I joined this forum only a week ago today and thanks to you I already know where and when my grandfather, Charles Downard, died. His wife, my grandmother, did not know, nor his daughter (my mother) who born just a year before he was killed and died herself aged 90. We had his...
  6. D

Book: William Hutton's History of Birmingham

If anyone wishes to read this book, it is available for download FREE at this website. https://www.gutenberg.org/etext/13926 You are offered a variety of download options. I preferred the 1.26 Mb HTML version.
  7. D

Dear Terry I will also be very keen to see whatever you have on the 2/8 btn. as my grandfather, Sgt. C. H. Downard, was with the btn. and died of wounds 16th August 1916. I suspect he was wounded in the Action at Fromelles. Perhaps Rupendy's relative was my grandfather's Colonel. Really...
  8. D

Hi Rupdenby As it's much more fun to find stuff out yourself, here are a couple of links for tracing the 1/8 battalion: https://battlefields1418.50megs.com/regiment012.htm> https://www.1914-1918.net/warwicks.htm> Within these sites you will find further links and be able to find...
  9. D

Birmingham Newspapers

Yes, the Planet newspaper was not free but I can't remember the price. The actual date I saw the paper's production facility was 1967. Around that year the first of the free papers came out. They were financed entirely by paid advertising and had very little editorial. The first free paper I...
  10. D

Birmingham Newspapers

Great picture of the Birmingham Planet, the very first newspaper with colour pages???. Thanks for the memory. The paper was produced in Newhall Street on the opposite side of the road to the Telephone Exchange and, if memory serves, it was owned by Labour MP, Woodrow Wyatt. Thank you for the image.
  11. D

My Gt Grandfather, the Tram Driver/Inspector

Do you have any tram driver information about the following three people? My grandfather was about four years younger than your great grandfather. Hewas also a tram driver. His name was Charles Downard. He had colleagues named Clement Green and Richard Toon. Charles and Clem joined the army in...
  12. D

Thorpe Street

Pardon the ignorance but is this the Thorp Street that joins onto Hurst Street? Referring to the Suffolk Street Recruiting Office, often referred to as The Technical School, was this the same as the Matthew Boulton College I attended in the 1960s?
Back