• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. G

Handsworth Technical School

Hi Anvil man, We were still making the same items that you have shown in 1956-58 It looks like a scene from inside my garage cupboard, Do you not still have the aluminium casting made from the anvil ? I posted a picture of mine but like yours it was "hacked" Great stuff Goffy
  2. G

Hi Exiled, Yes I was in 4A1 in 1958, my final year at tech, I do remember yourself. Strange how we tend to remember surnames. you must remember "big Pete" Derbyshire a tall lad in the class, sadly he passed away a few years back. The names recalled by BernardR also ring a bell, and there was a...
  3. G

Kingstanding

Dave M, The school you mentioned, was that the one on Collingwood drive ? If so I think it is a Medical centre now, When we lived up on Frampton Way our doctors surgery was in that building. Speed Bumps, they are everywhere now, I was surprised to see them along there, being a bus route, or is...
  4. G

Kingstanding

Just enjoyed your video Dave M, we've not been around Kingstanding for quite a while, although our dentist is still on Collingwood Drive. From Kingstanding Circle to the Trees on the Queslett rd, you took the shortcut along Kings Road, The old 29A bus route took you up Kettlehouse Road, were I...
  5. G

Kingstanding

Hi Wallyb71, My friend from the early fifties lived just inside Esher Rd, No 3 I think, Victor Kirby was his name, I spent a lot of time around that area in those days. Another friend from the sixties lived not far from there in Cooksey lane was Graham Sidney. Great Families both of them.
  6. G

Great stuff, anvil man. I made all of those items myself, a few I are still amongst my tools in the garage. The anvil. I still have mine, complete with its Aluminium Casting, I did post a picture of these way back but they were lost when the forum had some problem, I must sort those pics out and...
  7. G

Sutton Park

I like your pictures Bren, When I was a cadet on that "ship" back in the 1950s, the bow of the ship was level ground with the outline of the bow arranged with conrete blocks. it looks much better now it has been raised (or the ground lowered) it looks much more realistic. The Picture of the sign...
  8. G

isle of man TT

Hi Astoness, Take no notice of me, I think I was having one of my 'moments' I am back to earth now. sorry about that.
  9. G

isle of man TT

Hi Astoness, The post I was referring to, I believe was intend to go to Bikeral. ie your post No 92. But it came to me instead ? just thought I would let you know.
  10. G

isle of man TT

Hi Astoness, I would redirect this post for you if there was a way, but best let you know anyway.
  11. G

Sutton Park

Hi Bikearal72, I too was a Cadet on that ship in about the same year as yourself, great times they were, Manouvres in the park, ropes and knots, ropes and pulleys, semaphore with hand flags, and those uniforms, pressing them was hell. A couple of names that spring to mind that you may remember...
  12. G

Turner Brothers Toolmakers

Michael, As you describe it is just as it was, the names and everything. When I moved up to the middle floor of "D" (this may have been the point when it was amalgamated) I started on the lathe under the watchfull eye of John Scott, I then moved onto the vertical miller with a Welsh chap named...
  13. G

Mike, "K" department was on the ground floor underneath "D" department and was run by Harry Oakley, Originally "K" department was situated in Weaman Street, there was still a tryout press in Weaman Street while I worked in there. Some time after I moved up to "D" department both "K" and "D"...
  14. G

Thanks Mike, I was right, but I had forgotton the canteen floor. Only went in there a few times, pie and chips I think, On the subject of food, Do you remember a radial driller in "K" shop named Leach, He brought stew for lunch occaisionally in a covered basin, This I used to take over to the...
  15. G

Hi Dave, Yes I'm still around. Yes, you are right about the canteen. I'd forgotten about that, so were does that leave the planning office? could it have shared the top floor with the drawing office? Perhaps someone may remember. I see you came from HTS too, you left a couple of years before...
  16. G

Thats the way I went too, Technical drawing and metalwork top subjects, but not to Kynochs for me, it was Turner Brothers in cliveland street, another great thread. But after all, thats what Handsworth Technical School was all about.
  17. G

Mike, I'd say that was a cracking report, well done.
  18. G

I like your Report Mike, Yes you can pick up your teachers initials from that. I have one of mine about, I will sort it out and compare them. The French teacher at Boulton Rd (Mr Martin), I need one of my 1st year reports to confirm that, we used to nickname him "Sam" for some reason. Good stuff.
  19. G

I certainly remember Mr Martin at Boulton Road, I cannot remember getting caned but other lads did. We only had the French subject for the 1st year but it gave you something else to cram into an already cluttered brain. I remember learning the verb "to be" I won't even try spelling the french...
  20. G

Hi oldMohalk, That was our walk too, but we went on up to Hamstead rd and caught the 29 outside Mists garage along with a number of girls from Rosehill road Grammer School, That was a riot of a ride home.
Back