• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. X

Tubes Limited

Hi John Great to hear from you. Wow--poor Dougie--so sad. Yes the Chelsea game! If you remember I did not go to the game with you but--had a rendezvous in Harrow. So many memories--good times. I did my work quickly so I could chat all over the place --`Bill Antro`s` with the team--and up the...
  2. X

Eliot Street School Nechells

Hi Bill Thanks for reply and data. Yes--I remember Kenny Harbon in goal(small and gutsy) did not remember the ground. Other possible players--Barlow-Jones-Jennings-Storer?)--I never did the Wembly trips--wish I had. Xmas 54 I left the area completely(Kingstanding)--unlike you who stayed. I am...
  3. X

Hi Bill I was born 1944 and left Eliot Street Xmas 1944. I only remember some of the names you mentioned. Brian Corfield I met him four years ago(lives Walmley)---his wife died over ten years ago. He was a driver for Doug Elis awhile back--got on well with him. Alan Pittaway was driving for(I...
  4. X

Hello Catherine Thanks again for your reply. No--the Pearsons do not come to mind. When I left Chattaway at Xmas `54 I went to King`s Rise school, Kingstanding until I left in 1960. I am not sure how your list of classmates will dovetail in with my reduced time in Nechells and our apparent...
  5. X

Hi Catherine No nib could make me write nicely--but still love a fountain pen. So many memories and still fresh. The Primary school(seen on internet) still the same--main hall all those terrible country dance lessons from Miss Parry. Hold the girls hands boys-one, two and then she would start...
  6. X

Catherine I notice on Google Earth there are still a few original homes left--(bottom of Cook Street--NPR)--what was Christine`s surname? I knew Alan Pittaway and I met his mate Brian Caulfield five years ago. I believe Alan was working for the RSPCA or some such organisation? My Saturday...
  7. X

Catherine If you were born in 1943 you should be a class in front of me? Next door to the corner shop my friend(two years older than I) lived `Brian Caulfield`--I was born up the hill in Cook Street and left for 39 Chattaway Street at age three. Johnny Roe lived in Cook Street--but not sure...
  8. X

Hi Catherine I was born in 1944 and I left Eliot Street Juniors at Xmas 1954. I did not have chance to say goodbye through a family behreavement. Unlike you I do not have the Senior experience to remember Teachers etc but what I do rememer is as follows: Class mates Maureen Boyd--Sylvia ?--Roy...
  9. X

Tubes Limited

Hi Bryan I knew both your brothers - sorry to hear about Jimmy -and other blokes in the Forging Department. I was a Bonus Clerk who was housed in a little office just by the Tool Shop. I was there from 1969 to 1975. I was often in the Foundry delivering wage slips and dealing with queries--got...
  10. X

Davos, Switzerland Sunday Mercury & Kunzle

Hi Helping my partner sort out her family history--I obtained original letters written by a girl Edie Davison who was at the Kunzle Chateau in 1936. She was to die later in the year and was buried at St Matthews Church, Duddeston Birmingham on 23rd December 1936. Her letters were full of the...
  11. X

Hi Pete I attended Eliot Street between 1949 to xmas 1954(when I was 10) the staff I remember were Miss Parry and the husband & wife team the Reece`s. There was a junior teacher Miss Browning (I carried her case to bus stop on her last day)-- and put my ear to the headmasters door and heard Mr...
  12. X

Who remembers the "Miskin Men"?

Yes Jean you might--be nice to hear it. Roger
  13. X

Jean last bit---as I`m on a roll here!! The song is written in the key of B Major(rarely used)--but I may change this. bye Roger
  14. X

The song is only part written and hopefully will be part of the musical I am trying to write "Gas" The notes are as follows: Here(Ds)--comes(Cs)--the(B)--Miskin(Cs/Ds)--Men(B) Picking(BB)--up(As)--the(Gs)--bins(As)--again(Fs/As) When(As)--will(Gs)--I(Fs)--fall(Gs)--in(As)--love(Fs) repeated A...
  15. X

I will try again Jean Here comes the Miskin Men Picking up the bins again When will I fall in love? Here comes the rocking horse Prancing wildly in the hall When will I fall in love? more to follow Jean if this works?
  16. X

testing testing just spent 30 mins replying GG Jean but got rejected testing teasting Roger
  17. X

Hi I still use the term fortnightly when the Miskin Men collect the rubbish. As a hobby I also write songs and one is called "Here comes the Miskin Men" I was born in 1944 Xmas 54
  18. X

The beehive pub

Hi Beehive related--anyone remember two young girls(women) who frequented the pub say 1948-1960 Brenda Lovett and Lily Veraca apparently they were well known. As they are now 78 and 79 respectively I`m not sure there are many left now who will remember them?xmas 54
  19. X

Tubes Limited

Hi Barry Roger Boulton--Jack Fairweather union conveyner gave me his old gob stick(clarinet)--remember the others you mentioned.bye Roger
  20. X

Tubes Limited

Hi Barry Roger Boulton (I thought I had replied recently--but apparently pot)
Back