• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. g1ygj

The Backyard Bar

Yes, but so long ago, a different age, a better age, I think.
  2. g1ygj

The Backyard Bar

When I worked in the menswear department at Rackhams in 1967/8 I used go to the the Backyard Bar for a crafty pint at lunchtime. One day, I remember it was the day the sales started, so several of us decended there, as we had worked extra hard. It was of course frowned upon for staff to drink...
  3. g1ygj

Water : Birmingham's water supply

My Grandpa, Horace Wilde, was Superintendent of the Birmingham Water Dept. from well before the war until he retired on 8th October 1954. I have the gold watch here that the manual workers presented to him on his retirement. I was born at The Lodge, 12, Waterworks Rd. Edgbaston, Bham., 17. in...
  4. g1ygj

Opposite Lock Club

Just out of interest: https://8w.forix.com/bsp-66.html Martin Hone and other members of his family were very good customers at the tailoring shop in Hall Green where I worked during the mid 1960s.
  5. g1ygj

KEEP LEFT FOR THE DOLLS CLUB

I was there!!:biggrin:
  6. g1ygj

KEEP LEFT FOR THE DOLLS CLUB

I remember many bus journeys on the 154 Midland Red, to and from Shirley, going over the "Tin Bridge". What a smashing view from the top deck! My dad was a Traffic Technician for Birmingham Corporation, and then the West Mids., when it all changed over. He had something to do with the...
  7. g1ygj

OLD Sayings

My dad used to say, of a bad driver: "He/she couldn't drive a pig up an entry!
  8. g1ygj

OLD Sayings

My nan used to say of someone who was a bit dishonest "he's a fly by night" ! Also, "she/he needs putting in a bag and shaking up"!
Back