• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. J

Verity's Limited

I have only just found this post after researching my grandfathers WW1 service. He was discharged from the Army only a month after joining due to vital war work at Verity's Ltd of Birmingham. However he did rejoin later as he was in the newly formed RAF at the end of the war. Unfortunately I...
  2. J

Outwork- making mens armbands

As a small child in the early 60's my Mom used to do outwork for a factory making mens armbands. They were either chrome or brass coloured and we used to have to put very small springs into them for which Mom was paid a pittance. We had to help her get them finished in time and she used to treat...
  3. J

Where did you live

I was born at Heathfield Road Maternity Hospital in 1955, lived in Longford Road Kingstanding for the first year and then moved to Overgreen Drive, Kingshurst where I lived until 1962. Moved to Tamworth and now live on a narrowboat in Barton under Needwood.
  4. J

Kingshurst

I have only just found this thread! We moved to a flat at 66 Overgreen drive in April 1956 when I was 10 months old. I understand the flats along with the Mountfort pub have recently been demolished? We moved there from Longford Road Kingstanding where we had been living with my grandparents (...
  5. J

The Red Cow Ludgate Hill

Does anyone know anything about this pub which shows on the 1891 census as the home of my 2x great grandfather William Upton. He is the licenced victualler although I don't think that this was his main occupation. I have been unable to find anything out about this pub and would like to know when...
  6. J

Holmes family of Ivy Lane, Aston

I am researching my grandmothers family who lived in Ivy Lane Aston from 1881 until at least 1901. My great grandmother Caroline Holmes is shown on the 1901 census as a widow living with her children Rose, Lily and Jesse and her father and brother both called Charles Evans. My grandmother Alice...
  7. J

The Boer War

I have a bit of a mystery concerning my great great grandfather Jesse Enos Holmes and his 'supposed' fighting in the Boer War. My late mother said that no one believed him when he said he fought the Boers and his wife had died young so there was no one left alive to confirm his story. On...
  8. J

The New Bull Ring (mixed feelings)

We moored not far from here on one occasion. It all depends on how busy it is as to where we moor each time. Once we moored right outside the NIA when Cliff Richard was performing much to my joy and my husbands disgust!! Hopefully we shall bring our boat next spring again for a few days- need to...
  9. J

The New Bull Ring (mixed feelings)

I've really enjoyed reading everyones comments over the past few weeks. I used to work in Birmingham city centre  in the 70's and spent many a happy lunch hour in the Bull Ring although I did think it was very shabby and wished they would do something with it!! Well I have visited the new...
  10. J

Soldiers Deaths

All WW1 deaths are recorded as overseas. 1837online have the register for these but you do need to subscribe. The minimum subscription is £5 and for this you get 10 credits. Hope this is of some use
  11. J

Upton family

I am trying to trace any living relatives of the Upton family. Father James Percy Upton and Henrietta Florence Upton nee Alabaster. I understand they had 18 children between 1901 and 1925. Henrietta died in childbirth in 1925.Not all the children survived but the ones I know of are Percy James...
Back