• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. S

Hayward Thomas

I'm looking for any information about Thomas Hayward c. ? 1801 - he married Charlotte Ratheram in June 1821 at St. Martins. Their children were Charlotte c. April 1822 - Thomas c. March 1824 - Charles C. Nov. 1825 - William c. 1827. I have FMP and I can't find any trace of this family except I...
  2. S

William Hayward - japanner

In 1881 William Hayward was a japanner/french polisher employing 10 men and 26 women - his work shops were from 16 to 22 Camden St. He lived at Sutton Coldfield - I have the info there until 1911. I was wondering if anybody can find anything on his business - and where is/was Camden St. Thank...
  3. S

who do you think you are

New programmes start tonight - one of favourite. Sheri
  4. S

Church St.

I wonder if someone can tell me if Church St was near to Snowhill in early 19th C - from Wrightson's directory I have William Hayward & sons - bellows makers but am trying to find gt.gt. grandfather - too many names the same!!! Many thanks, Sheri
  5. S

how can I find birth parents

Over the years I have looked for the parents of my gt.gt.grandfather - what I don't understand is why when he was born 1795/96 Birmingham - he's there on Family Search but no parents are shown - why arn't they shown? His name is John Blackham. Also there is a Richard Blackham b.aprrox 1803...
  6. S

Meet the Izzards

I watched 'Meet the Izzards' both ephisodes - and really enjoyed it. It seems that most blue eyed people stem from the Black Sea area, as all my family are blue-eyed i think I should go and meet the rellies. Very good programme. Sheri
  7. S

Johnson Harry and Gertrude Electral look up please

In 1911 my grandparents lived at 13 House, Court 17 Watery Lane, Small Heath. They were Harry and Gertrude Sophia Johnson. I've looked but can't trace them after 1911. I was wondering if the numbers changed? Harry died in 1917 so Gertrude would have been there on her own with her children...
  8. S

Boer War

I have a distant relative - James Sutton b. 1874 Kilkenny Ireland. He is one of many children of Alfred Sutton b. 1840 in Army for 22 years in Corps of Armourers. I think he joined the Army about 1894 - I couldn't find him after this or in Boer War records - in 1911 he was stationed at the...
  9. S

Sarah Bradley, Why would someone be in Virginia in 1695?

I found a Sarah Bradley (may be an ancestor) she was born in 1662 in Old Swinford, Worcs. - she may have gone to Gloucester but died in Virginia in 1695 age 33. Why would she have been there? Would she have been transported? Just interested. (I got this info from FamilySearch. Many thanks...
  10. S

Birmingham South and North

I know someone on the forum can point me in the right direction - what area's are Birmingham South and North please - just a rough direction will do - I only B'ham 32. Many thanks, Sheri
  11. S

Howards Place

On my gt. grandparents wedding certificate it says both living in Howards Place. I looked on the address search on FMP but it didn't come up. Was it near Church St which I know was where the station is now. Many thanks, Sheri
  12. S

Blackham, Maycock and Hayward, Birmingham Solicitors?

I wonder if there is any information about a firm of solicitors called 'Blackham, Maycock and Hayward' - this is the only connection I've found about two of these families and the marriage of my great grandparents. Thank you for your help, Sheri
  13. S

The Birmingham Theatre Royal Estate Co.Ltd

I was looking through the 'Acess to Archives' and found the above company versus Hayward 1899-1900 (- I have a family of Haywards) - there is a number MS 3375/1042 - I know this bundle of papers is in the Central Library but I was wondering if anyone on the forum knew anything about it and who...
  14. S

are these army births?

When looking for births I have come across 'Births 1761-24' and then unable to access the details - are these people born whose father was in the Army? Just wondering, many thanks, Sheri
  15. S

Royal Artillery in Canada 1860's

I found a gt.gt. uncle, Alfred Sutton b. 1840 who joined the army I think when he was 21 - he was a trained Gun Smith and was an Armourer in the army. He married in 1863 at Hastings and then went to Canada - he was there a few years as several children were born there. The family were well...
  16. S

Johnson Kezia

I have the 1911 census and I know nobody else can look because of privacy but I wonder if someone could look and see if my gt.grandmother either remarried or died - I can't find any trace of her after 1901 when she was living at 5 Little Broom St. Timperley Grove Aston with her 3 daughters...
  17. S

death in India

I wonder if someone can give me some advice on how I can find out if a death in India is that of my Gt. Uncle. I have been looking for him for years. On Family Search I found a Leonard Bray who died in May 1904 in Jhansi, Bengal, India. He was age 22 and a trooper in 5th D.G.S (I don't know...
  18. S

baptism for Richard Blackham

I wonder if someone could look for a baptism for Richard Blackham born ? 1806. It is possible he is the brother of my gt. grandfather John B. whose parents I have been looking for years. I found him on the 1841 census (Blockham) living in Vale St. where John also lived - my thi nking was that...
  19. S

Robert Nabbs transportee

By chance I found on the 1881 census a relative who was in Haibonoit Prison, Portsea Hampshire - he may have been on a convict ship/hulk - I don't know if there was a question of him being transported to Australia. His n ame was Robert Nabbs age 28 - in 1891 he is back in Birmingham. Is there...
  20. S

Charles Taylor, House Painters And Decorators

My gt.gt. uncle Charles Taylor was a House Painter and Decorator so were his sons - Ephraim James, Samuel, Albert and Ephraim James son, Ephraim - they were still employed as such in 1911. I was wondering if they had a business and if they were still going after 1911. They all lived around...
Back