• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

Selly Oak Hospital 1970s

Remember the staff canteen at Selly Oak in mid 1970s, I recall was in basement and was very ceramic tiles and stainless steel. Could get food/drink 24 hours.Was nice in early hours of morning to pop in for bacon sandwich,My early memory of the canteen at the hospital was 1950s when the canteen...
  2. C

Albert Terrace,Moseley Road.

Have listings between 1920 and 1935 for 7 Albert Terrace,Moseley road.Listings seem to alternate between 7 Albert terrace and 7 Back of 56 Moseley road.Could this be the same Address? Anyone please with old map for time periode 1920-1935
  3. C

Ricketts Family Billsley area

Checking Electoral rolls from 1922 1955.Noticed my Gt Grandmothers surname changed from Wicketts to Ricketts. The Ricketts family lived Billesley area. I know they lived Oakcroft Road 1940s.I also know some of family used Billesley Arms in early 50s. Anyone researching Ricketts family from...
  4. C

Take me High starring Cliff Richard

Would like to get copy of film Take me High,Remember seeing it being filmed in Birmingham about 1973.Actually got to speak to Hugh Griffith the actor. Ben Hur being my favorite film made it great thrill to just speak to actor who actually starred in it. Any idea if out on Dvd please
  5. C

Anyone remember visiting Weymouth

Anyone remember visiting Weymouth in Dorset and seeing the train run along the Quay to Ferry terminal? Our holiday every year from Brum in the 60s was to Weymouth.Seeing the train run along the Quay was highlight of holiday,Now in retirement live by Weymoth and they thinking of using the old...
  6. C

Raf ww1 1918

I have absent voters listing for 1918. Henry Ricketts, 10 Apollo Row Charles Henry Street, Not sure what abbriviations mean..148988. 2S of H R.A.F. Think the listing showing served with RAF. Donot know what the abbrivations mean. I think it is important that we honour and find out what our...
  7. C

Sid Field Comedy entertainer

Just been watching Sid Field comedy sketch with Jerry Desmond[ the golf course routine] Pleased that there is blue plaque outside his birthplace Osborne road Sparkbrook. My favorite Sid Field routine again with Jerry Desmond was highly camp for its time. Even Bob Hope said Sid Field was great...
  8. C

The News Theatre ???

Sure someone must have posted about the News Theatre,but cannot find any information about it.Once a week when taken into Town in the 50s my Mom would take me to The News Theatre.It showed cartoons and shorts like the three Stooges,Somewhere in town centre and bit scruffy even then.Loved seeing...
  9. C

RAF stationed egypt WW11

I am about to make request for my Dads RAF WW11 service records,He was Armourer fitter.He served in Egypt during the war,Have photos of him in front of the sphinx.Would anyone know what RAF squadrons served in Egypt during the war
  10. C

Herbert Lees Drysalters Stratford road

My uncle was manager of Herbert Lees Drysalters,which was family run shop on Stratford road,Sparkbrook.The shop was situated on corner of Stratford road and either Kyotts Lake road or Braithwaite road,Sparkbrook. They also delivered cleaning and decorating products around the city.This was in...
  11. C

Birmingham Skin and Lock Hospital

I remember the Skin Hospital that I think was down by Alexandra theatre.Went there few times in early 1970s to take people home from outpatients dept.One of my relatives was patient there probably in the 1940s ,He always refered to it as the Skin and Lock hospital.Would think the Lock refered to...
  12. C

Fish&Chip shop scratchings

In very early 1960s lived in Tile Cross road,We kids would go to local chip shop called "Bedfords" They would sell us kids bag of scratchings for a penny.It was the bits of fried batter from the fish,If lucky would get bits of the cod mixed in.It was Heaven
  13. C

Gladstonr Road Sparkbrooke

Was born at 108 Gladstone road Sparkbrooke in 1948,Spent first 10 years of my life there and have great memories of the neighbours.We lived with my uncles family.who was bit of an eccentric. He changed his name from Leslie Kite to Don Cometa and started band called Don Cometa and his Latin...
  14. C

Birmingham Archives

I would very much like to look up some Birmingham newspaper Archives for 1900s.I suspect the archives would be held at the liberary? Being disabled and now living in Dorset makes it hard for me to make the visit.Would anyone know if there are paid researchers in the area that could undertake the...
  15. C

Maypole stores

Late 1960s worked in the Maypole grocery store in Hillwood road Northfield,They used to have sides of bacon delivered that i would have to bone out tie with string and then slice into rashers.Was at time busy shop.There was grocery lad who would go out on push bike delivering boxes of grocerys.I...
  16. C

Sweet shop Stratford Road Sparkbrook

I lived in Gladstone road Sparkbrook in 1950s.My Mom worked at a sweet shop on the Stratford road by Palmerstone road.I remember it was on line of shops by a Funeral Directors called Dyson Richards.Anyway at the sweet shop they made there own confectionary.My Moms job was making the iced pink...
  17. C

address in Birchall street 1911

I have birth certificate dated 1911. showing address in Birchall street which is hard to make out.It looks like 12 Caberalls Birchall street. Would anyone have idea if that would be name of a house or maybe terrace in Birchall street. The writting on certificate is difficult to read but...
  18. C

Billesley Palace

My Grandfather worked at Billesley Palace in the mid 1930s,Any idea please if it was then a Music Hall?I know he worked there part time in the evenings. thanks.Sorry realised mean Boardsley Palace
  19. C

16 court dymoke street???

I have birth certificate grandfather 1897,Gives address 16 court Dymoke street Aston. Looking on census addresses no 16 court listed in Dymoke street. Anyone know what court means on address thankyou
Back