• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

Items that have faded away

Taking photos with my kodak Brownie 127, Going to chemist to collect developed prints and buying new roll of film.
  2. C

Well I did not know what goloshes were,Thought just another name for wellies, Just looked them up and they still sold, I learned something new today.
  3. C

Which Cemetery?

Hi Wendy, Is there a Database for burials in Birmingham? Or would I have to locate which cemetery to contact. I have Grand parents who died while living in Moseley road, Would have no idea of which cemetery.
  4. C

Saw Dust sprinkled on butchers shop floor, Would ask butcher for some of his Saw Dust to use for scenery on my model railway, Stick it down and paint green, make grass areas,,,,,That was tip from Blue Peter when they had there model railway
  5. C

Matchbox toy vehicles. Collected loads when kid,
  6. C

Cresta, so sweet and sickly,but loved it then.
  7. C

Gorden Moores Toothpaste, Need help with spelling of this one: Was in jar on sweet shop shelf. Rainbow sherbert crystals.Would dip finger in bag.left finger looking yellow stained, It was called something like kalie[ totally wrong spelling
  8. C

I am old enough to remember the Milkman on his horse drawn milk float and the coalmans horse who was favorite with us kids, Also Rag and Bone man with his Horse and Cart, No worry about fuel prices for them, Plenty of fertilizer for the roses. Also the Coalman - Jones's from Jiggins Lane
  9. C

Wooiworths cafe in New Street for there steak and kidney pie with gravy and chips.
  10. C

Your right home delivery nothing new,We had the corona pop man,My Father had small cigarette dispenser,that would be filled once month,Dad would put the money in and his cigarrettes dispensed,The man come every month refill and take the money
  11. C

Sago pudding, Reminds me of song by Freddie parrot face Davis. Every time I ask for Sago pudding, all i get is Semolina. Honestly it was one of his songs [ I can still remember and whistle the tune ] The semolina song 1967
  12. C

Harborne

Was stationed at the old Harborne Fire Station in mid 70s, Expect it gone now.
  13. C

16 court dymoke street???

Thanks for picture. Did most people in early 1900s rent there property?
  14. C

16 court dymoke street???

I would think they moved from Dymoke Street to Stanhope Street, The question I have is who was the Landlords at the time? People did seem to move often and within same area.There must have been large number of Landlords or was homes owned by factories,Change of job change of home?
  15. C

Selly Oak Hospital 1970s

I know the cats became problem in mid 70s onwards.If approached one would Hiss and arch there backs. Reminded me of a few of my girlfriends at the time...
  16. C

Selly Oak Hospital 1970s

Sue.. Suspect let you win because you was a girl. That would be my excuse.
  17. C

Selly Oak Hospital 1970s

The male Cats never thought it was funny.When the cats protection league turned up with two house bricks to castrate them !! Thought brings tears to eyes
  18. C

Selly Oak Hospital 1970s

Sue, There was the very hot summer, think was 1976 or 77. Would meet up at The Country girl. Sit out front with pint Larger and lime, The nurses in sweat over up coming exams,Trying to relax,Moaning that they think "Sister got it in for them" Used to work hard,but knew how to have some fun.Dont...
  19. C

Selly Oak Hospital 1970s

Hi Sue, Our memory recalls keep popping up. There was Pub in Raddlebarn Road, Think was Country girl ?
  20. C

Selly Oak Hospital 1970s

Remember the staff canteen at Selly Oak in mid 1970s, I recall was in basement and was very ceramic tiles and stainless steel. Could get food/drink 24 hours.Was nice in early hours of morning to pop in for bacon sandwich,My early memory of the canteen at the hospital was 1950s when the canteen...
Back