• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

Birmingham Cinemas

As you came out ofNew Street station it was exactly opposite in Station street . Went there many times
  2. C

Birmingham Cinemas

Remember the Ashted cinema. Threepenny crush Saturday afternoon . Us lads would be making a row and the manager put on the lights to chastise us. We used to sneak in through the back doors and if he saw us he would chase us with a big stick happy days
  3. C

Sweeneys , tv rentals

I worked for Sweeney radio for 11years. Stratford road then Manager at Yew Tree Nd Chelmsley wood. Company eventually sold up to Radio Rentals who had been after the company for years. Never knew what happened th Robert Sweeney the boss .
  4. C

Fletchers

Fletcher also had a large yard in Heneage street. We used to crawl under the gate and play in the tanks that were there. Great fun rotating the turrets.
  5. C

Field

Good thinking ! Hospital would makes sense if George was working .
  6. C

Field

Don't know how you do it ! Thank again. Odd names people had in those days. I was born 1939 in Windsor street where the family moved to .
  7. C

Field

Great!, thank you so much My mum was Lilian May. Born 1908 in workhouse she told us .
  8. C

Birmingham Cinemas

That was the Electric cinema I think. There was also the Tatler in Station street and The News Theatre hitch showed all cartoons
  9. C

Field

Any info please on George Henry Field. Died 1932 in Birmingham think came from Bromsgrove very grateful if anyone can elp
  10. C

Scribbans Bakery

I worked saturdays with george besant delivering bread at Scribbans
  11. C

Valor Heating

Remember joe essex manager
  12. C

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

Remember Taylor Law down opposite the peck. Smiths wire works where they stacked all the coils on the peck and we would use them as dens. My dad worked at Ash and Heaton in Dartmouth street . We lived in Windsor street almost opposite Coleman street . Bersteins the tailors on the corner of...
  13. C

Windsor street Just come across mention of Mrs Worralls shop in Windsor street. we lived opposite this and had a load of stuff on Tick from the old dear "till the weekend" i think we would have starved if she had sain no.:D I think the waste ground next door was a bomb peck although i am not so...
  14. C

Sheep st, Gem st and Buck st.

Kyrle Hall used to go to the boys club at the hall many years ago. had a reputation of being haunted by the ghost of John kyrle who was alleged to have thrown himself off the roof. spooky place when no one else in there though. The Police had a depot in Duke street for years too.
  15. C

absolutely right Pete! Bending the nail over was an art (especially with a brick as a hammer) lost count of the number of patches on my trousers after the falls.Lol:D:D
  16. C

Only surprised that there were so few accidents on those things. Great fun though , jim
  17. C

Nechells of the 50's & 60's

mission hall Every Sunday we went to the Sally Army at that Mission hall and listened to the old dears shouting "Halleluja", on Mondays cup and spoon at the ready, we went to the club and had a cup of Mushy peas! The old W.D storage yard was a magnet for us too and we spent many a happy hour...
  18. C

bloomsbury street Hello again I can remember the Library on the corner of Bloomsbury Street and the girls school in Lingard street. if you remember the railway bridge across the Saltley road, i was born in the house directly underneath this at number 80 Saltley road way back in 1939. we then...
  19. C

St Matthews school, Duddeston (Nechells) Newbie!

St Mattews Also went to St Matthews. in the pic, just to the left behid the teacher was the headmistress office, Mrs Goldsmith was her name and the deputy was Mr Southgate. Also Miss Lawler mrs Jones . Been so long ago now cant remember any more. :shocked:
  20. C

Jobs you did after school and Saturdays.

Saturday jobs At one time , worked every Saturday as a runner for George the breadman at Scribbans . collected at 7 in the morning in the electric van , spent the day delivering the bread while George had cups of tea with the customers while collecting the money . sometimes I would be streets...
Back