• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

The Bosted Boot

Hi all I haven't been on the forum lately and I have a question, has anyone heard of a pub in Aston nicknamed THE BOSTED BOOT ? I would guess it had this nickname in the 1940s and 50s.
  2. M

250 Newtown Row

I don’t get much time on the forum nowadays, but I hope one of our members can help me. I am looking for the location of 250 Newtown Row as a family member had a tripe/coffee house there in the late 1800s.moss
  3. M

Potters Field,Aston

Mike if you see this post,I wonder if you could tell me where Potters Field was as i have a G G G Grandfather living there in 1851.Mossg
  4. M

Picture restoration

I hope one of you very talented people could please help with this badly damaged picture of my wife's great grandmother
  5. M

More canals than Venice

This film is well worth a look.It,s a one hour long film by Brummie film-maker Steve Rainbow.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiHI7m7fhl4
  6. M

Erdington Tramway Terminus

I wonder if anyone can throw some light on this one. In Wylde Green village there is a building that looks to have been an electricity sub station in the past,although i have been told that it was toilets at some point. There is a ghost sign above it but it is not at all clear as you can see...
  7. M

Mitt Romney

I have just found out that the maternal grandfather of US presidential candidate Mitt Romney was born in Birmingham. I wonder if Mike could pinpoint where house 3, 30 court, Carver street,Ladywood was? Moss
  8. M

Birmingham Halfpenny

This is a picture of a coin owned by a friend of mine.Can anyone throw some light onto it's origins?Moss
  9. M

Medal

I have recently been given three medals from WW1,i have been told they are family medals. Two i recognise as family but the third does not ring a bell at all.The inscription on the rim reads Pte W Simpson 14379 Royal Lancashire Regiment. Can anyone please point me in the right direction with...
  10. M

Harding Street

I wonder if anyone can help me?On the 1841 census my G.Grandfather lived in Harding Street in the parish of St George,I have scoured many old maps and i have not been able to find it's location.The next street shown on the census is Ormond Street so i assume it was near Summer Lane.A map showing...
  11. M

Great Queen Street

I am researching a relative in my family tree.In the 1871 & 1881 census their address was Gt Queen St, Worcester house,Birmingham.In the Municipal ward of Market Hall and the parish of St Jude. His occupation was a Fish merchant. Moss.
  12. M

Woodman Easy Row

I think Easy Row deserves its own thread, if only because of The Woodman. Moss. Edit. The images referred to are no longer available.
  13. M

Witton Square

Hi everyone, When i was younger most people refered to Witton circle as WITTON SQUARE. Does anyone remember it looking anything like a square? Moss.
  14. M

Pet shop in Vyse Street 1950s.

Does anyone remember there being a pet shop in Vyse Street? I dont know if my memory is playing tricks on me,but i am sure i can remember there being a pet shop on the right hand side just up from Gt Hampton Street.They even had caged monkeys. Moss.
  15. M

Sandstone caves Tyburn Road.

I have already asked this question on another thread,but i think that maybe it was the wrong place for it. Can anyone remember the sandstone caves on Tyburn Road near Salford Bridge? I have recently read that they were inhabited from 1490,and were used as air raid shelters during WW2. A picture...
  16. M

Map of Summer Lane & Hockley

Is there anyone who could upload a streetmap covering the above area? I would like to use it to cross reference pubs and other places of interest to me. I have started with this small map,and would like to cover a larger area. 1-The Dolphin. 2-The Justice. 3-The Geach. 4-St Matthias Tavern...
  17. M

Glassworks in Hockley?

Hello All, My G.Grandfather lived in Hospital St,Hockley & at the time of the 1881 census his occupation was a Glass cutter. I saw quite recently that there was a public house in Hospital St called the Glasscutters Arms. Does anyone know if there was a glassworks in the area? Maurice.
  18. M

Round Hill Aston

I wonder if anyone can help me? The 1851 census shows some of my ancesters living in Round Hill.Aston. Does anyone know where this was please? Maurice
  19. M

Pump Tavern Montague Street

Had a drink with a old pal yesterday,we were talking about pubs in old Aston.I mentioned a pub that used to be in the area just behind the King Edward & Church Tavern,in the Sutherland Street,Waterworks Street area,the name escapes me but The Pump rings a bell.My mate doesnt remember a boozer in...
  20. M

Where is this?

Do you know where this is? I must have walked passed it hundreds of times,and didn't know it existed until a couple of weeks ago. Maurice.
Back