• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. K

Hanover Street

My Grandparents lived in Hanover Street, It was just off St Lukes Rd Highgate. The Original Matthew Boulton Colledge was built on the land were it ran. Does anybody know if was just demolished or destroyed during the war.
  2. K

The Rubber Mill, the Fordrough Stirchley

Can anybody give me the name of what we called the Rubber Mill at the bottom of Hazewell Fordrough in Stirchley. I was born and bred in Cartland Rd and we could go down the Fordrough through the factory and across the River into Stirchley. We use to pick up all sorts of things like small rubber...
  3. K

Pub in Vere Street/Hope Street

My Grandparents lived in Vere Street until my grandmother died in 1962. There was a pub just down the street. When I attended Matthew Boulton Colledge(which was built by Hope Street in the sixties) in 1969/1970 we used this pub at lunchbreak. Can anybody please let me know the name of this pub.
  4. K

Benacre Street

I have found out that my Grand Mothers side of the family came from Ireland to Birmingham in about 1849. But I cannot find the streets they lived in on any current map. They lived in Norfolk Street in 1851 and Benacre Street in 1861 and 1871. I can only assume that these Streets diappeared in...
  5. K

Tascos Co-op

I was born in Stirchley in 1953, and the shop that dominated was the Ten Acres & Stirchley Co Operative Society to give it its full title. It was an imposing building at the corners of the Pershore Rd and Umberslade Rd. It also had a Milk dairy just behind it. They had a barbers in the basement...
  6. K

Ashley Street November 1940

Ashley Street was heavly bombed in November 1940 so much so it no longer exsist. I am having trouble locating it in any Birmingham Street maps prior to 1940. Apparently it ran from Gooch Street to Bristol Street, Both my Grandparents lived in the Street prior to there wedding in May 1913.Has...
  7. K

Lucas Engineering School Great Hampton Street

I joined the LES in September 1969, this was then regarded as one of the best apprentice schools in the country. It was in the oldest part of GHSt next to the factory. though we had no direct contact with the factory other than using the works canteen at morning break and lunchtime. I served the...
  8. K

Ashley Street

Ashley Street ran between Gooch Street and Bristol Street, can any one confirm that this Street was destroyed by German bombs in November 1940, I know it no longer exsist in the Birmingham A-Z
  9. K

St Edwards RC Church & School Selly Park

I cannot find any History about this school, I started in 1957 and the head mistress was a nun as were many of the teachers. The school is still going but on different premises, does anybody know the history of this school ?
  10. K

James Scott POW

My Grandad was a captured in the trenches on the western front in 1915, he spent the rest of the war in a POW camp. Is there any records of troops who were prisoners in such camps. I think he was in the Royal Warwicks but I cannot be sure
  11. K

St Catherines Catholic RC church and School.

Has any body got any information on the history St Catherines RC Church and School Bristol Street. My Father and all his Brothers and Sisters went to the school and I can remember attending the old church in the early sixties. There was also a social club attached to the church and the old...
  12. K

Scott John of 109 Coventry St

I have traced my Great grandparents back to 109 Coventry Street, this is were my Grandad was born in 1892. My Great grandads name was John Scott and his wife was Mary Scott formerly Donoghue. Our Family is Catholic so I assume my Great grandmother was from an Irish background. My Grandmothers...
Back