• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Sakura

Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Anne - I was a ward clerk on ward 5 at the General with Sister Roberts from about 1966 to Jan 1969 after I had got married. Before that I was in Xray for about 2 years. I remember the Residents Show that they put on in the lecture theatre at the General each year. My friend and I were laughing...
  2. Sakura

Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Hi Sue. That is great to hear Mr Oats son is now a consultant, I remember a number of the doctors and wonder whether they are still alive. Today on BBC World News which we watch on TV over here, they were interviewing I think the Director of the QE as Malala Yousafzai, the 14 year old Pakistani...
  3. Sakura

St Augustine's RC School

Sorry I don't think I replies to this post and I think all the photos vanished on the BHF due to a problem last year. I am hoping I can find it and attach it here. Mo Sorry didn't work.
  4. Sakura

Kunzles

Re: Kunzell Cakes I remember the round cakes which were choc sponge with cream in the middle and covered with choc. I think they were in cellophane packets at the local store. Mo
  5. Sakura

Soho Road, Handsworth 1956 to 1964 opposite the Libary

I did a lot of the same things as you, I also had skating lessons three times a week. I belonged to St Andrews Youth Club and I was a Sea Ranger (Senior Girl Guide section). Great to think back but I do need help to remember some of the things that were there and we did. Littlewoods was next to...
  6. Sakura

I worked there for a year before I left school on Saturdays so it would have been 1958 to about 1962. I think the CoOp was opposite Martins and a wall paper paint shop. Not sure. Was there a bank on one corner and a furnature shop on the other of Grove Lane, then the bus depot and Ninhiver...
  7. Sakura

I worked at Martin's Florist on Soho Road, a few shops up towards Hockley from the Ninhiver Dance Studio (spelling may be wrong) next to the butchers. My bosses brother owned the Grove Florist on Grove Lane just around the corner from the light. Things certainly have changed. Mo
  8. Sakura

handsworth and other memories

Sue those are all great photos, the park looks great. It is over 30 years since we were there. Thanks for the memories, just called John to look at them as well. Mo
  9. Sakura

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

Re: Cadbury's Bourneville My husband got a tin many years ago and we still have it, probably on a trip with his school as he lived on Linden Road. All his family worked for Cadbury's and I worked in Sale Marketing after we were married and moved to Northfield from my parents home in Handsworth...
  10. Sakura

My Partner Ray

Sylvia I am so sorry to hear your sad news. My thoughts are with you. Maureen (Sakura) Canada. hug xx
  11. Sakura

Soho Road Handsworth

What a great picture. I think the buses were running by the time I went on the 70 bus to and from Sandwell Road terminus. They must have put the lights in at the corner when they changed to buses. I have looked at the rest of the thread and it brings back so many memories. I worked at Martins...
  12. Sakura

Scout Jamboree Sutton park

Alan, the Jamboree at Sutton Park was amazing, my brother was a Yorks Wood Rover and they helped with security and first aid I think. I thought there were 65,000 there but I am not sure. We went to visit just for the day. Not having a car it was a long way from Handsworth. My scouting friends...
  13. Sakura

I used to help my dad on the allotment off Oxhill Road. He shared a hut with Mr Nightingale, I just loved it.
  14. Sakura

You are right Dek, there was a Scout Rally every year in Handsworth Park. Alan that is where you would have gone as all my friends in scouting in Sutton came each year. We had the most amazing time every year with the parades on the streets and in the park and the fund raising booths the groups...
  15. Sakura

Handsworth - Holly Road

Great to see those beautiful houses are still there. Mo
  16. Sakura

Handsworth - Island Road

It is a long time since I was on Island Road. My aunts house backed onto the golf course, almost opposite the dairy. I don't recognise it on either of the pictures, as it has a dual carriage way. Is that the island on the right of the right hand picture Ian. As I went to school on Hollyhead...
  17. Sakura

Lewis's Department Store

You are very talented Di, that brings back memories. Mo
  18. Sakura

Flowers by Post

I was a florist in the UK and over here. Over here I also recommended customers did just what Jenny does and I do as well, contact a local florist to where you want the flowers sent. Interflora and Tele Flora costs as much in services as the flowers when sending them from here and also you have...
  19. Sakura

Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Sandra - I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother and that it was not made any easier by the nurses. I don't know about England but I certainly here I think there is a different attitude now than 30 - 40 years ago. Certainly their eduction here any way is very different, so I guess...
  20. Sakura

Queen Elizabeth Hospital

:)Jonny Williams I think was the other one and I remember Mr Brookes. I worked for Sister Roberts on ward 5 she was a horror to everyone. We had sick bay so it was always busy and was surgical woman's ward. When I left she moved the ward clerks deck to the middle of the ward but I think she had...
Back