• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. J

Beck's Dairy

Please could you tell me if there is a Beck's Dairy listed between 1891 and 1901. It was in Spon Lane, West Bromwich I think. Thank you.
  2. J

St Mary Whittall Street Look Ups

Could some kind person do a death look-up for me please? George Henn was buried at the above chapel (now demolished) about 1827 I believe. Any further information would be much appreciated. Jill
  3. J

Boer War deaths.

Can anyone please advise me on how I can discover if an ancestor was killed during the Boer War. I have searched and searched for this ancestor's death and can only assume that he died in that war as it is the right period. Any help would be much appreciated.
  4. J

A Day at the Lickey Hills

A Day at the Lickey Hills. We’re off to the Lickies for a family day out, We travel by tram, how it shakes us about, I’ll probably be sick, I usually am, But that’s one of the perils of going by tram. When we arrive we rush to the fair, Have a go on the swing boats, the wind in our...
  5. J

Alcester Street

Does anyone know about what year the people living in Alcester Street were moved to enable slum clearance to take place?
  6. J

Aston Variety & Artists Club

Does anyone have any information about the above. I believe the club was in Trinity Road, Aston. Any information would be most gratefully received. Jill.
  7. J

Uniforms of WW1

I'm sure someone can tell me what uniform these girls are wearing. Cromwell, if you are reading this, you once mentioned that you knew an A. Henn. The girl seated is Amelia Henn - is she the one?
  8. J

Ancestors who died World War 1

Please does anyone know that if an ancestor died in this war, where his death would be registered? I cannot trace the death registration of my great grandfather and wondered if the normal on-line listings would not contain it if he were killed abroad. Any help appreciated. :)
  9. J

Old Contemptibles

Just who were they? A friend said they were a particular regiment and another said the British Army generally. A relative of mine always said he was one of them and he was in the Warwickshires (?) I think.
  10. J

Birmingham Eye Hospital

Dear Postie, Would you happen to have a photo of Birmingham Eye Hospital which I believe is now a posh hotel. I have a friend who is going to stay there and I would like to show her how it once looked. Thanks in advance for any help. :)
  11. J

Bow fire guard.

A relative recently visited the Inge Street houses project and mentioned that we used to call the fire guard a 'bow'. The attendant was very interested to know if this was a regularly used Birmingham word. I know my mother used to say 'put the bow round the fire' but I'm not sure if it's...
  12. J

Gossip

Tittle-tattle, idle chatter, Truth to the gossip doesn't matter, "What do you think? - no smoke without fire", Just pass it on and then retire With quiet glee the better to hear, The malice pass from mouth to ear, And as they damn, with voices hushed, A reputation bites the dust. As you read...
  13. J

Kirby - hook and eye manufacturer.

On the 1851 census, I have a William Kirby, Lower Tower Street, hook and eye manufacturer, employing 100 women and girls. I have looked in Historial Directories but found nothing. I did, however, find a reference to Kirby, Beard & Company and wondered if there might possibly be a connection. Can...
  14. J

St Peter's Chapel St Peter's Place

Would anyone happen to have a photo of this chapel please? It's been demolished now I believe. Thanks in advance for any help.
  15. J

Workhouse Infirmary 99 Dudley Rd 1 Western Road

I have just discovered that my great grandfather was born in the workhouse, Dudley Road in 1866. Does anyone know if there is a list of inmates so that I can see how long they were there please?
  16. J

St. Mary's Church, Whittle Street, Birmingham.

Everyone was so helpful when I asked about Holy Trinity Church so I'm hoping someone out there can give me information on St. Mary's Church, Whittle Street. Is it still there or has it been demolished? My greatx4 grandad is buried there I'm told.
  17. J

Balsall Heath.

I looked and looked on the site for a mention of Balsall Heath where I lived until I was 21 when we were then scattered us all over the place. I can find no mention of - so does anyone out there hail from Balsall Heath?
  18. J

Holy Trinity Church Bordesley.

Please could anyone tell me if this church is still in existence? I see in monumental inscriptions that there was Henn buried there but there is no mention of dates, or full names etc. Thanks.
  19. J

pocket steelyard maker

One of my ancestors made scale beams and pocket steelyards Anyone know what these are please?
Back