• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. P

St Saviours Church Hockley

Hello Trevor - Thank you. It's good to have gaps in one's knowledge filled in. And I realise that my partial recollections may not always make sense to other people. You are correct about Baileys: the shop and frontage was always crowded, packed with almost everything. Next door, the little...
  2. P

Nice to hear other people's recollections. Does anyone remember the lovely aubern hair Mrs Cottrell, secretary to headmaster Mr Smith? I recall her as kind, patient, quietly supportive to everyone. A few girls I remember around 1953-4 were the reserved Pamela Lunn and Jean Hogan, and...
  3. P

re Farm Street school: I attended the junior department from maybe 1951 until 1954, and remember the head, Mr C. Smith (ex-RAF, a small fella, lived in Halesown area). Teachers: a Ms Dugarde, a Mr JT Owen from north Wales, a Mr Harley and Mr Peglar (both Welsh), a Mr Mills (very kind, his wife...
  4. P

Hi St Saviour's Mr Bartle was not Oliver. He was CHD Bartle, sometimes called Charles/Charlie; or Henny by Mrs Bartle. He was not an ordained vicar/priest but a Missioner-in-Charge, a salaried lay preacher with administrative duties. CHD Bartle lived in Wretham Road, Handsworth B19, up Hunter's...
Back