• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Chris B

The Bon Bon

I don't think that this was the case, as the one by the Sheldon was a house / bungalow with the front converted into the shop and it was run by 2 middle aged ladies as I remember. Regards Chris B
  2. Chris B

The Bon Bon

if you hold your cursor over the thumbnail and right click, then select open link from the drop down, then when the plus sign appears left click and the writing will big and bold enough to read clearly Regards Chris B P.S there was also a BON BON sweet shop on the Coventry Road next door to the...
  3. Chris B

Co-op high st bham

Hi there should be a book in the library entitled THE CO-OP IN BIRMINGHAM AND THE BLACK COUNTRY by Ned Williams which has a lot of photo's and testimonials from former employees, very interesting book. I worked at High Street from 1965 untill 1979 in the basement of the Big Top Site Regards Chris B
  4. Chris B

Dad Was a Biker

Dad was always a biker and cyclist, when he was young he had an old Velocette, and he took the baffles out of the silencer to make it sound more sporty. After watching a film at the Beaufort he came out and started up whereupn a policeman jumped out of the shadows and nicked him for excessive...
  5. Chris B

Lewis's Department Store

sorry to hear about your Mom catsclaw, we don't go into Birmingham city centre now unless we have to, it certainly isn't what it was, we tend to shop in Solihull or have a ride out to Redditch and go to the Kingfisher Centre. All the best Chris B
  6. Chris B

Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

Hi All some photos of the classes at Sladefield Sec' Mod' school number 1 taken in 1956 was class 1/1 teacher was Mr Liversidge number 2 taken in 1957 was class 2/1 no teacher in photo but it was Mr Westacott number 3 taken in 1958 was class 3/1 teacher was Mr Court
  7. Chris B

Lewis's Department Store

Hi Di, that was a lovely little painting, you have captured the area exactly Regards Chris B
  8. Chris B

Lewis's Department Store

Hi All, some photos of the annual prize giving at Lewis's for young members of staff going into management. Photo 1 taken in 1961 the diminutive young lady in the middle between 2 lads is my girl friend (now wife) June Hubbleday, I am just below her on her right looking at the pic' Photo 2 would...
  9. Chris B

Birmingham Cinemas

Hi Ger22van the other cinema was originally the Theatre Deluxe, then it was renamed the Forum, and in its final years it was the ABC New Street. a picture of the interior looking at the auditorium from the stage. Regards Chris B
  10. Chris B

Hi All, a picture (hopefully) of the Coronation photo (1953) in the hall at Anthony Road School. I was 9 going on 10, I am 7th from the left on the back row, anyone else recognise themselves ? All the best Chris B Names I can remember :- Back Row Left To Right 1, Brian Toplis, 2, Stuart...
  11. Chris B

reloaded item below because of poor pic Chris B
  12. Chris B

Lewis's Department Store

Hi Austin, Lewis's Birmingham - closed 13 July 1991, currently on the ground floor is a pub, The Square Peg, with offices above including the probate court. The Minories as stated previously did have a road surface made of "rubber bricks" or blocks, I far as I know this was to deaden the noise...
  13. Chris B

Marlene, I am afraid I was only a couple of years old at the end of the war, as far as I know Anthony Road school had the centre blown out by a bomb as I remember it being more modern than the rest of the building, and my Gran whose house backed onto the school had the back windows blown out by...
  14. Chris B

Hi All, I spent a lot of my younger years around Alum Rock, my Grandparents (William Mason Palmer and Mary Anne Catherine) on my Mothers side, Inez Mary my Mom known as Betty and my Uncle Basil lived in Jackson Avenue, and also at number 9 Jackson Road, my Grandparents on my Fathers side (also...
  15. Chris B

Birmingham Cinemas

As you say Lloyd, the Majestic and The Oak were leased, to a fellow called Mike Flook, who also rented the another cinema at Nuneaton, I think the couple who managed both Oak and Majestic for him was A chap called Johnny Ball (projectionist/manager) and his wife was in the pay desk selling...
  16. Chris B

Lewis's Department Store

Hi Cornwall Col, I was assistant sales manager on the D.I.Y department in the early 60s, Paul Whitfield was the manager of the D.I.Y and Jerry England was manager of the tile and tool dept next to it All the best Chris B
  17. Chris B

Lewis's Department Store

I well remember the coloured lights on the clocks over the lifts, they were in fact to tell some of the senior managers that they were required and they would contact the store switchboard to find out who wanted them. they were for the position of merchandise manager upwards. The Floor...
  18. Chris B

Ward End Park

Ward End Park Hi All I can remember climbing the trees alongside the steep hill leading up to the park, dropping down and chipping my tooth, playing in the sand pits, and paddling with my wellies on in the brook and going under the railway following the brook though, riding my bike around the...
  19. Chris B

Tudor Cinema, Kings Heath

Hi Judy 39, if my memory serves me corrrectly the TUDOR was an ABC circuit cinema. Regards Chris Bryan.
  20. Chris B

Birmingham Cinemas

yes I also remember the Atlas it was set back off the road just at the end opposite where Matalan is now, although I never went in as it wasn't near where I lived, if I remember rightly it was one of the Cinemas that Harry Dare (Dare To Build) owned (the other being the Castle at castle...
Back