• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. ASTONITE

Can anyone identify this please?

I recently came across this token whilst sorting through some odds and ends, I cannot find any information on the net, other than it might have Masonic connections, can any of the wonderful brains on the forum throw any light on the matter? It is bronze and about 3 and a half centimetres in width.
  2. ASTONITE

The pitfalls of Genealogy

Over the years that I have been researching my family tree, I have painstakingly researched, where possible, all links, these have included, parish records, census data, electoral rolls, in fact any way of backing up any relevant material, however, of late, there seems to be a large number of...
  3. ASTONITE

Pocket Money

I can't find a previous post on this subject, however, if there is one, I apologise. How much pocket money did you get and what did you spend it on? Also what is the average given today. In the 40s, I got a tanner a week, it rose to a bob when I got older.
  4. ASTONITE

William Henry Street.

Was there a school in William Henry street? I was just going through some old bits and bobs and came across this Coronation medallion and wondered if they were issued to everyone or just individually, if anyone went to the school and would like it they are welcome on a first come first served...
  5. ASTONITE

Victorian service records

Can anyone advise me where to look for service records between 1851-1871? I have had no luck on FMP and Ancestry, also I have no regiment or number, only his date of birth and the fact that he was a gunner between those years. Also did you have to be posh to get married in St Phillips, or could...
  6. ASTONITE

1950s shopping list

Just going through some papers when I came across this list, written in the back of a book printed in 1957, the prices are fascinating and I think the person who wrote it must have had a sweet tooth as well as a high fat intake.
  7. ASTONITE

Aston Technical College

I have just come across this prospectus for 1957-58, I have posted the pictures from inside.
  8. ASTONITE

Aston park 1915

I dont know if this has been on before, it looks familiar, its such a delightful scene.
  9. ASTONITE

Lichfield road

now and then
  10. ASTONITE

Birmingham 1940

Birmingham is the third most heavily bombed UK city during the war, behind London and Liverpool. During the Blitz 2,241 people are killed, and 3,010 seriously injured. A total of 12,391 houses, 302 factories and 239 other buildings are destroyed, with many more damaged. Overall, around 2,000...
  11. ASTONITE

Birmingham Industrial School.

Have any members got any information about 'Birmingham Industrial School'? It was based at Fillongley, Shustoke, Coleshill. It was listed on Google along with detention centres and reform schools, and apparently children who were in need of care or had committed minor mis-demeanours were sent...
  12. ASTONITE

Mary Ann street

Has anyone a photograph of Mary Ann street, off St. Pauls square, my first job as a printing apprentice was in a factory in this street.
  13. ASTONITE

Childhood rituals and fantasies.

I've looked through the threads(no mean task) and can't find anything on the above,( apologies if there is one already).The question is : Did any of you have particular rituals or fantasies when you were a child, e.g. no treading on cracked paving stones? Did you or any of your siblings or...
  14. ASTONITE

Hill street 1914

Apologies if this has been shown before, it's difficult to keep track. What a wonderful photo of this era!
  15. ASTONITE

Gopsall Family in Birmingham

If any members have any information regarding Gopsalls who may still be living in the West Midlands, I would be most grateful.
  16. ASTONITE

Surnames

Just to say to everyone who has hit a brick wall, not to give up. After about 4 years of fruitless searching, I hit the jackpot and found my ancestor under a completely different surname. On searching, I have now found four different variations of the same name, Also, it appears that lots of...
  17. ASTONITE

Birmingham Groups

Does anyone remember the Uglys? They used to play at the Carlton in Erdington, still have a copy of their record 'Ugly blues'
  18. ASTONITE

Trolleybuses

Apologies if this has appeared in the past, but what a wonderful photo this is with Lewis's in the background
  19. ASTONITE

Mission Hall Lichfield Road Aston

Does anyone remember,or have any photographs of the mission hut on Lichfield road? It was just up from Williams's coal wharf, almost opposite Sutherland street. We had our coronation party there in 1953, and it was regularly used every week for Sunday school. This part of Lichfield road, doesn't...
  20. ASTONITE

Birmingham Tokens

While sorting through my old bits and bobs, I came across this brass token valued at one shilling, anyone know where C. Tranters was and what sort of business they ran?
Back