• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. K

Allan Line Steamers - Steamship travel in 1889

My great grandparents & their childern travelled to Canada in 1889 (on the Polynesian i believe). I'm trying to find out what it would have been like to travel on a steamer. it appears that they travelled STEERAGE. They were definately not in a cabin. I have the Shiplist with the passengers...
  2. K

St Thomas Church Bath Row

Does anyone have access to the St Thomas parish records? My great great-grandmother Ellen Skinner was baptised there on April 27th 1856. Her mother Sarah Skinner was unmarried. I was wondering if there were any notes made on the records by the Vicar at the time. Anything additional...
  3. K

Brandwood End cemetery

I'm trying to locate where Ann Burley 1801-1874 is buried. She was living with one of her sons William Burley who is buried at Brandwood End. William died in 1929. Is there some way of checking via internet? I've been searching but unable to find anything. Ann may be buried with her husband...
  4. K

where is Richard Burley buried?

I'm trying to find out where Richard Burley is buried. He was born in Halesowen about 1800. He died in Birmingham in December 1855. His wife Ann died about 1871 also in Birmingham. She would probably be buried with him. He is not in Key Hill cemetery. One of his sons is buried at Warstone...
  5. K

How can I find occupations prior to 1841 census?

I know that my 3Xgreat grand father Richard Burley was a brew retailer in 1839 (from trade directory) & in 1841 from the census. I'm trying to find out what occupation he had before this time. I know that he married Anne Davis at St. Bartholomew's Church Edgbaston in 1823; I found the...
  6. K

Beer retailer, Cheapside

One of my ancestors was a brew retailer in the late 1830's. I believe that he sold beer from his home on Cheapside in birmingham. Are there any books (accounts) about people (families) that sold beer from their homes? I'm just trying to get a sense of their life. I beieve that after the...
  7. K

brew retailer

From the 1841 census and another earlier source that I found, it appears that my 3Xgreat grandfather sold beer from his home on Cheapside. I'm just trying to get a sense of what being a brew retailer would have been like. The Beerhouse Act allowed persons to sell beer and cider from their home...
  8. K

Meaning of Gravestone Inscriptions

I was recently delighted to find a photo of my great great grandfather's headstone on the memorial photos at this forum. What I'm wondering is if anyone could provide any insight into the inscriptions on the headstone. Reading between the lines so to speak. John's wife Anne Hannah died first...
  9. K

Burley Benjamin Ship lists

I found what I believe is my great grandparents on a Ships List of the Polynesian sailing Sept 1889 to Canada. However the names of both my grandparents are unclear and under the ages of both it looks like an R is written. Does that mean something? Also my grandfathers occupation states Farmer...
  10. K

Burley family of Birmingham

I'm trying to locate any discendants of John Burley b1827 in Birmingham. He married twice, first to Ann Hannah Skipp, after Ann died he married Jane Shirley. I'm especially interested in locating information about their daughters Emma Burley b 1850, Mary b1855, Eleanor b1857, Elizabeth Ann b...
  11. K

44 Warstone Lane electroplating

My 2xgreat grandfather John Burley lived and ran his electroplating business at 44 Warstone from about 1862. For at least the next 20 years. Does anyone know when the housing on Warstone lane was built? Would it have been a new house in 1862? Was the housing built for artisans? I read that...
  12. K

Economic changes Birmingham

I'm certain that I read something about an economic down turn in Birmingham which affected all the trades especially in the Jewerlly Quarter. This would have been some time during Victorian era. Now that i'm looking for it, I can't find any information. Does anyone know? I believe that all...
  13. K

1878 lookup

I'm trying to locate the address of Benjamin Burley b 1854. He was an electroplater living in Birmingham. Thanks
  14. K

Electoplaters

Does anyone know or have any suggestions on how I could find find out when then electoplating trade started in decline in the Jewellry Quarter. My 2xgreat grand father was an electroplate master, and his son became an electroplater. About 1889 the son Benjamin left England moving his family to...
  15. K

Moseley Road Weslayan Church

I would like any information about the above church. From an obituary that was forwarded to me, I was told that the Weslayan church opened in 1872. William Burley was one of the original trustees. However I've only been able to find a Moseley Road methodist church which was obiviously built...
  16. K

iron founders

This is my first posting so hope I'm doing this right. I'd like to know more about what being an iron founder about 1848 would entail. What kind of things would one make. My 3xgreat grand father was an iron founder and when he died his wife took over their business. I'm just trying to...
Back