• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

Gino's Italian Restaurant

I'm looking for photos of the outside and (preferably) interior of this restaurant, which was on the corner of Smallbrook Queensway and Suffolk St. I think it opened in the early 1960's and for a long time was a favourite place of ours for birthdays and so forth. It was the only restaurant in...
  2. B

Hines Family

Hello All, I haven't posted for a long time, but I am seeking information regarding the HINES family who lived in Josiah Road, Longbridge, until at least the 1960's. Thank you. Big Gee
  3. B

Outlook - can't sign in

When I try to sign in to my Outlook (Hotmail) e-mail account I get a message "Something went wrong and we can't sign you in right now. Please try again later". This happens on both our computers here. Any suggestions, please? Thanks in advance. G
  4. B

The Dam Busters

I can't see anyone else mentioning it, so I thought I'd remind everyone that tonight is the 70th anniversary of The Dam Busters raid. Big Gee
  5. B

Steve Winwood

Hi Nick, Re St John’s Church Perry Barr wow, one of my musical heroes!! I used to regularly see The Spencer Davies Group when they were the resident band at The Students Union at Birmingham University in the 1960's. Stevie Winwood had (and has) the best blues voice I have ever heard in a white...
  6. B

YouTube

Can one of you clever computer-people out there please advise how I can retrieve YouTube? For no known reason I can no longer connect - it times out. Thanks in advance, Big Gee
  7. B

Printer Ink

Does anyone know where I can get printer ink-cartridges re-filled reasonably cheaply? There used to be a shop on Boldmere Road, but closed down now. The price of original cartidges is outrageous! Thanks, Big Gee
  8. B

Problems Logging On

I couldn't log on to the Forum this morning, until about 5 minutes ago. Did anyone else have problems? Big Gee
  9. B

Can't play YouTube

A short time ago I suddenly found I couldn't play YouTube or other videos on my PC. I was told to download the latest version of Adobe Flash Player (Version 10.1), which I did, but still can't play YouTube or other videos. When I try, I just keep being told I need to download Adobe Flash Player...
  10. B

Lancasters at Longbridge

I'm reading "Lancaster" by Leo McKinstry, an excellent history of the aircraft, and which I'd gladly recommend. However, he states that Lancasters manufactured at Longbridge were transported in sections to Elmdon where they were assembled and then test flown. I was always under the impression...
  11. B

All Souls Church Witton

Does anyone have any memories of this church, in which I was married in 1971? Especially, memories of Rev Charles Lee and Rev George Walmesley. Big Gee
  12. B

Are You All Right?

I'm sure I'm not the only person who gets hot under the collar when addressed by a shop assistant thus: "Are you all right?" My response to this (being an old grump) is to say, "Why, don't I look it?" What happened to "Good morning, sir" or "Can I help you?" Harrumph.... Big Gee
  13. B

Victorian Sentiment

Here's an old song that my gran used to sing on New Year's Eve. Sentimental, or what? Happy New Year! Big Gee
  14. B

Dyson Hall

Does anyone have any memories of the old Dyson Hall, which I think was in a street somewhere off the Lichfield Road? Was it Pugh Road? My mother and father met there in about 1937 when they were both in an amateur Gilbert & Sullivan society that put on its shows there. I have photos of both of...
  15. B

Tony Hancock

Unless I'm totally up the creek here, I can't find any mention of Tony Hancock in the Famous Brummies thread, or whatever it is, yet wasn't he born in Hall Green? Big Gee
  16. B

Battle of Bosworth Field

Today (August 22nd) is the 523rd anniversary of the Battle Of Bosworth Field, the last major conflict in the Wars of the Roses and one of the most defining battles in English history. And fought in the Midlands, too! I've often wondered how our history might have been had Richard III won...he...
  17. B

Betrayed?

My dad was an electrician all his working life, and was employed from 1938 to 1977 by the same company which manufactured electric furnaces. He was just an ordinary working-bloke, but at the end of the War his firm gained some large contracts to install electric furnaces in Europe. This meant...
  18. B

W H Sims Greengrocers

Does anyone have memories of Sims Greengrocers, on the corner of Witton Road and Trinity Road? It was owned by my mother's cousin - Uncle Bill to us kids. His wife, Hilda, was the original 'galleon in full sail'... Big Gee
  19. B

Sutton Coldfield And Other Birmingham Miniature Railways

Post on another thread for which the link to the photos has been lost, but this information retained and placed here Hi again, Moma P. I don't think your photos are of the old Sutton Park Railway. The engines and rolling stock seem a lot smaller. If my memory is reliable, the Sutton Park line...
  20. B

Salutation Arms

This distinguished establishment was located at the corner of Summer Lane and Snow Hill, and for many years until it fell down in about 1970 was the trad-jazz place in Brum. I'd go every Friday night, a quick pint in the bar, then upstairs to argue the entry-fee with the delightful maniac who...
Back