• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. gerry taylor

Barrows Stores

I too worked at Barrows. I came straight from school in 1956, and worked in the Greengrocery Dept, which was on the street level. We had to wear celluloyd collars and aprons. We used to have fun though, because the manager was very strict, so to break up the authoritarian way he treated us, we...
  2. gerry taylor

Midland Red at Digbeth

Ah, that lovely Bus Cafe outside the Church.
  3. gerry taylor

Midland Red Garage News

You don't mention poor old Sutton Garage, long gone now.
  4. gerry taylor

Two Recently Scanned Slides From 1966

Me too, based at Sutton garage, I did the Main Roads into City and also the 107's and so on. I stayed with them during the re-paint into WUMPTY colours. Lovely vehicles to drive apart from hot days going down Gravelly Hill, when the old drum brakes were overheating, and not much use. Also, I...
  5. gerry taylor

Birmingham 1946 bus street scenes

Excellent! Thanks. Gerry. Ex-Midland Red Driver Sutton Garage.
  6. gerry taylor

Lichfield Bower (1960's?)

Yes, I have loads of pictures too...somewhere, after 21 Bowers, I should have. Ha,ha. Happy Days.
  7. gerry taylor

Lichfield Bower (1960's?)

I ran the Fish n' Chip Shop at the top of Greenhill, Lichfield from 1959 until 1973. I have so many memories of THE BOWER. We used to begin peeling spuds on the Sunday, and drop them in DryWhite overnight. We would have literally dozens and dozens of Fleur-De-Lys Pies, cases and cases of them...
  8. gerry taylor

Comedians

Anyone remember a comedy team called KIRBY & HAYES? I would be about fourteen and my Mom and Dad took me to see them at The Aston Hipp. I am now getting on a bit, and am fortunate enough to have worked in the entertainment industry for some time. I found one half of the comedy team some years...
  9. gerry taylor

Interesting Site For Film Buffs

also a site I use regularly, which covers all British films. www.britmovie.com Hope the moderartors don't mind me putting this on? Gerry
  10. gerry taylor

The Star cinema

Interesting. I recall the STAR Cinema, as when I was fifteen I went to a dancing school on Gravelly Hill, and used to go to the Star after dance lessons. I remember The Palace in High Street too. Ah such happy days.
  11. gerry taylor

Kingstanding

Remember "THE MUSIC BOX" Record shop at the Six Ways end of High Street, in Erdington? I used to buy all my 78's and 45's from there. I used to go to my Auntie Madges on Gravelly Hill. She ran a Dancing School there.
  12. gerry taylor

Booths Farm

Unsure just where it stood matey, but your mention brought back memories of working at Williams Greengrocers on the corner of Booths Farm Road and Perrywood. I was going out with a girl that worked at Wimbush's Cake Shop. That would have been back in 1956/7. I have lovely memories of that area.
  13. gerry taylor

Rag Market

My Grandad Jack Hill used to have a pram and on it was a grinder, and he would go round the Rag Market plying his trade and also round the streets. Anyone remember Jack Hill? He actually lived in a caravan in those days, and later BUILT a wooden house/bungalow in Glenavon Road, Kings Heath.
  14. gerry taylor

US Base Pheasey Estate

Just re-joined after a while off-site and its great to read all about the old area. I was born along with my Sister and Brother at 120, Calshot Road, and wondered if anyone else on the site remembers us. I'm Gerry, my sister is Jennifer and younger brother is Jeff. I was born in 1939, and Jenn...
  15. gerry taylor

Aston Hippodrome Revue

I'm still in the business, and have friend who was part of the Comedy team: KIRBY & HAYES. They appeared at The Aston Hipp in those shows featuring the striptease artistes. His real name is Sid Joseph and he was Sid Kirby. he's getting on now, but is great to talk to about the old theatres. He...
  16. gerry taylor

Aston Hippodrome Revue

Duggie is still living up in Lytham St Annes and is, as you say producing shows.
  17. gerry taylor

Birmingham buses

I worked for the Midland RED at Sutton garage in 1957/8 as a conductor and would be given what were called "Station Street Extra's". These would be run during the summer. We would run empty into Birmingham, and park up in Station Street awaiting an Inspector to tell us where we were to go to...
  18. gerry taylor

Richards Of Aston Pork Butchers

Hi! My father was Harry Taylor and he was the manager of a Pork Butchers that was on the corner of Bracebridge Street and High Street Aston. it then became Farr & Smith i believe. Does anyone remember the shop?
  19. gerry taylor

Lucas B90 Fradley depot

Hi, my brother is Jeff Taylor who was a manager at Lucas's Fradley. I believe he worked at King Street and Solihull as well. Anyone remember him?
  20. gerry taylor

US Base Pheasey Estate

Me too, I would walk to the Pheasey with my Mates and get gum from the G.I's, and then try to sell them at Beeches Road School...trouble was all the boys had loads. I was courting a girl from Perrywood Road many years later and she told me her sister had married a lad from Pheasey Camp and was...
Back