• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. dereklcg

Who,s this

Just thought i,d try something a bit different. As aposed to where's this how about who,s this? the person on the right,famous the world over. dereklcg
  2. dereklcg

where are we coming from (redditch)

Thought this mite be a good idea, we love our forum and a big thanks to the powers that be keeping it all together for us. But where are we coming from IE living room, office, bedroom, under the stairs, i,m in my spare bedroom of our bungalow,in redditch with all that i need to be, for...
  3. dereklcg

who had one of these

Did anyone of you have one of these mean machines? i can remember a mate of mine having one brand new,from a shop on east meadway down past the mackadown towards tile cross he did look the part bless him. He was working while we were at school still,used to wait for us outside the gates in...
  4. dereklcg

lewis hamilton

i would to congratulate Lewis Hamilton for becoming Britain,s youngest formula 1 world champion ever. well done Lewis.
  5. dereklcg

my last lorry

hi all you ex drivers, i,m sure there is a good few of us out there, the last truck i drove, well lived in almost was a 17.1/2,ton leyland daf i used to deliver nickel and alloy steel. i used to like many other drivers well luckier than most i had two maybe three night,s out at...
  6. dereklcg

The Moby Dick

looks like another Birmingham pub, is past it,s sell by date. anyone remember it use it drink there run it? it,s there all on it,s own, the back of millennium point, looks like it had a make over not that long ago but a lick of paint could be deceptive. it,s more than likely seen...
  7. dereklcg

where is this 76

hi ya just thought i,d join in the fun if you don,t mind? it,s an old place that won,t be there long easy peasy
  8. dereklcg

Fred the boot mender

Where i lived in Cromwell st the top of grt lister st going towards the old soldiers,there was a boot mender our back yard backed onto the shop,i used to go in and help just for pennies we all knew him great bloke his name was Fred Andie and the shop was English leather, they had a main shop i...
  9. dereklcg

Liverpool football club

Yesterday Was The 19th Anniversary Of 96 Football Supporters Who Lost There Lives In The Name Of Football. I / We Will Remember Them. Through The Wind And Rain. Dereklcg.
  10. dereklcg

History of 1500 - general interest

SOME FACTS ABOUT THE 1500s most people got married in june because the took their yearly bath in may,and still smelled pretty good by june. however,the were starting to smell,so brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body oddour. hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when...
  11. dereklcg

greaves

i,m looking to find cousins, named Greaves there last known address was Kemp road glebe farm area,be nice to catch up. both my uncle Doug and aunt Ada are now gone i also had an uncle and aunt in the shard end,area no longer here, but they had kids and i don,t know where they mite be? time frame...
  12. dereklcg

hoggle my hedgehog

not you average pet i know but such is life. just had to be different, a lady at our local hospital works for swan rescue,but it does,nt stop there she never knows what will turn up,so hence the hedgehog, she ask,d if i fancied giving it a home why not i,ve got a big garden they sleep all day...
  13. dereklcg

Co-op bakery

is there anyone from the stechford area remembers the co-op bakery in yardley fields road? i hav,nt been down that way in an age,it,s probably been gone for about 20 years but i don,t know? also the levis factory down past the station iron lane way i seem to remember all of parkinson cowan has...
  14. dereklcg

don,t get off you,re bike i,ll pick your pump up

has anyone heard of that saying before? more to the point have you ever seen a bicycle made for three that put,s a damper on the Daisey Daisey give me your answer do song? we,ve all seen the shop bike and most of us had a tricycle, happy days.:):) regards dereklcg
  15. dereklcg

kids and motorbikes

i,m a big bike fan, been looking on lot,s of different sites and lot,s of old photo,s remind me of my childhood growing up with bikes with my dad and my stepbrother working at the triumph in meriden. at a very early age got to get up there on a bike easy enough lot,s to grab onto got me legs...
  16. dereklcg

telegram delivery bikes

hi ya, anyone out there know what ever happened to the telegram delivery boy,s? i know there,s people who worked for the post office,on here. it,s one of them things that was there and you did,nt miss them till they were gone,them Smokey red bantams they rode before them there was the bike...
  17. dereklcg

Gerome's the portrait

Did anyone out there ever have a portrait done at Jerome's i think it was in colmore row opposite snow hill station? i,ve got one of me in a sailor suite i did look the part. i,m sure i was,nt the only one who had to stand still and watch the birdie way back when??
  18. dereklcg

rupert street

hi ya, does anyone remember a mural that was painted on the wall,in rupert street,nechells b7 at the far end over, avenue road as from grt lister street as i say over ave rd the wall if you know it is the railway yard or was i hav,nt been down that way in ages. the other end is rocky lane,but...
  19. dereklcg

Francis Nicholls Market Trader

This thread has been created from posts on different markets threads :) hi ya see you worked for nicholls? i remember that name from when my best mate used to work for r,f. willis in dean street,started as a mate and worked his way up to a driver,we still knock about now over fourty years...
Back