• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. P

Forward Radiators - Cherrywood Road

Thanks mw0njm. I have seen that site, but it doesn't show when the factory closed nor what became of the factory
  2. P

If you could live anywhere in Birmingham, where would it be?

I remember the youth club at Oldknow Road school on Friday nights in the mid 60's. I can recall a few of the girls .... Pat Nixon, Pamela Bruce, Christine Potter and Cathy Phillips. Small Heath was a better place to live in those days. I played for Small Heath park football team against other...
  3. P

Is This Your Motor?

The Austin factory at Bargoed employed many disabled people (often suffering from pneumoconiosis - a lung disease from the mines). They made children's cars. http://www.austinmemories.com/styled-25/index.html
  4. P

Golden Hillock Road Six Ways Small Heath

There certainly were gas lamps in the 50's and even early 60's in Small Heath. I can remember the gas lighter man coming around every evening with his lighter pole. .Did you know Alan Fair who lived at the end of Cooksey Road in the 60's? I believe that he became a lecturer in American Studies...
  5. P

Golden Hillock Road Six Ways Small Heath

I found a few photos of Golden Hillock Road around the 6 ways junction....see above. I'm not sure if I've used the correct insertion method
  6. P

Birmingham Canal Boatmen: struggle for improved working conditions.

Details of the Ash family are available on this link. They also owned Ash & Lacy and Joseph Ash Galvanizers that started in Charles Henry Street and now have seven sites throughout the country https://landedfamilies.blogspot.com/2015/12/199-ash-of-packwood-house.html https://www.josephash.co.uk/
  7. P

Ward End Hall School

This is a comprehensive site with photos (including the school - originally called Ingleton Road school)) https://billdargue.jimdofree.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-w/ward-end/
  8. P

Midland Motor Omnibus Co Midland Red

That's great! Thank you very much for this information. Looks like the tramway went past the door!
  9. P

It was Mary Street, Balsall Heath. His name was Alfred Bromley and he lived in Belgrave Road
  10. P

Does anyone have any information on The Birmingham Bus company, based in Mary Street in 1900? My grandfather's attestation papers when he joined the Royal Warks. regiment in 1900 stated that he worked for a Mr Pritchard at that company. This appears to be over a decade before the Midland Omnibus...
  11. P

Canning & Co & Electroplating

Genmac1 - Do you remember laboratory manager Jim Love? I met him a couple of times on visits to BSA in the 70's
  12. P

Canning & Co & Electroplating

Now based on the site of the old BSA factory in Armoury Road/Golden Hillock Road, Small Heath https://www.macdermid.com/
  13. P

Birmingham Christmas of the past

I lived at 148 Grange Road in the late 50's, early 60's
  14. P

Waverley Grammar School

Great photo Neil. I was at Waverley at that time, but I don't think that I was in the same year as your your Dad. Could you post the full photo please? I've been looking for a copy for years! Thanks
  15. P

Waverley Grammar School

I was at Waverley between 1959 & 1965. If anyone has any school photos from between those years, it would be great to see them
  16. P

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Thanks Terry Hope you had a great trip. I've just finished reading "Birdsong" again. It's a very evocative book & well worth the read! The descriptions of life in and under the trenches are awesome. Regards Peter
  17. P

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Hi Terry I wonder if you could help me identify what involvement my Granddad, Sergeant Alfred Bromley had in WW1 please? I've traced his war medals which are the Victory & British War medals as well as the T.EFF (1918). His number is given as 240035, which seems high compared with others that...
  18. P

GRANGE ROAD, SMALL HEATH

Yes that's right. The old couple lived between our house and Jerry's (who also contributes to this site and runs "Small Heath Circle Forum") Did you live nearby? Pete
  19. P

searching for the WW1 battalion using only name service number and regiment

Thanks very much for the info and photo Terry. So, since he only had one (6 figure) number, it looks likely that Alfred enlisted in 1917? The T.Eff criteria points to Alfred being in the TF either before the War or for some time afterwards, even with war service counting double. From...
Back