• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. smithy

The pitfalls of Genealogy

I have to agree with a lot of the comments about others taking information and adding it to their tree. However, in my case it did save me lots of time searching for information. I do find it irritating that even when they copy stuff they still get the dates wrong. So although I never put part...
  2. smithy

Yardley Wood

Hya All Firstly one of the photographs with one of the miss stears on, must be a junior school picture, as there was two miss stears and they were both teachers in the senior girls school. Senior boys were on top of the junior school. I was born in Riversdale road, still live just around the...
  3. smithy

re-photographs

Hya Lyn hope this is ok.
  4. smithy

re-photographs

Hya all well its been sometime since I was last able to continue my search for family history. My husband finally passed away and I did not manage to establish where he actually got his injuries in the first world war. The family member I found just a few months prior to my husbands death and...
  5. smithy

lad in the Lane meet On The Day

Hya all how great it was to meet some of you today. Choccie biscuits have been enjoyed with several cups of tea, thank you. It was a smashing spread and so well done. My friend bob enjoyed it and has now enrolled as a member. Will be looking out for the birdie on ebay, not bidding though. So...
  6. smithy

Aston Union Workhouse

Re: Aston union workhouse, erdington I had the death cert of my relative who passed away in here so knew the date of the death. Rang Witton on the of-chance and yes she was there. They were exceptional and next day gave me the number etc. Have rung again about my Albert edward smith...
  7. smithy

Alex’s Motorcycle club

Hya Joe sorry its not about motor bikes, although you may like to look at my profile. Are you Joe Turvey the blinds, ie highgate square birmingham. If so can you send me an instant message as the above post indicates. sorry to have posted this here but if you are I need to contact you in private.
  8. smithy

Gt Granddad Thomas Smith West Bromwich Albion's first secretery.

What a great find, Thomas smiths might be difficult to find but they are amazing people once you get there. I am so pleased for you. HURRAY TO THE SMITHS.
  9. smithy

where is she buried

Thank you shortie for that. Actually I have been really heartened today of how nice some people can really be. I rang witton yesterday and gave the details and lo and behold at lunchtime the phone rang. A really nice lady said it was lunchtime but she had done her work and looked up the grave...
  10. smithy

where is she buried

Hya all I have telephoned witton cemetry and given the details and found out that a search of a grave can be made. There is no charge for this, not sure if it was because I have the death certificate and all details of emily. I was told there is always a great deal of searches and they are done...
  11. smithy

where is she buried

Hya all just a quickie for now and thanks for all of your information. I do know from his marriage lines his fathers name is thomas. will be back on later.smithy
  12. smithy

where is she buried

Hya all thank you for all of the information so far. ALBERT AND EMILY MARRIAGE Dec 25th 1889 bishop ryder. he being 23 she 22. (albert smith:father thomas smith) Have cert for 6d102. feb 1905 age 39. However, the informant is AG Smith this being Alice Gertrude Lawson. Spoke to John Yates some...
  13. smithy

where is she buried

Hya all I have a death cert for Emily Hannah Smith Age 41 17th august 1909 Aston Union Workhouse I know hannah was in there as she was a widow.Her children were there also. She had lots of family around her so I am hoping some...
  14. smithy

Thank you’s for help

Hya All I thank everyone who has helped my in the past. I have been popping in to the forum at night just to browse quickly and keep up with the news, however I have not done a scarper. It is that life has not been good for me for quite a while now. Life is going to be very different now so I am...
  15. smithy

My wonderful bedroom

Like so many on here I ask what bedroom.There were 8 of us in a 3 bedroom new house with a bath and running hot water. I never knew anything other than this. Mom and Dad of course in the front, 2 older sisters in double in the back bedroom with younger sister (who was small and a twin) at the...
  16. smithy

re- Army number

Hya all Any help appreciated.:rolleyes: I have a William Ingram , his number appears to be 42250, but it has the letters K.L.S.I. Havnt got a clue what these mean, can anyone shed a light on this. He is living at 1ct Barrack street 1. Thanks
  17. smithy

Did you meet your partner In Brum?

Hya all Met my husband at the roller rink in walford rd. It was 1957 and I didnt like him, thought he was a big head. Of course I was only 15 yrs old and just left school, that didnt stop him though. What I didnt know at that time was that he had 2 injections every day for diabetes,(1954) I...
  18. smithy

St James The Less Church Ashted

Re: St James the Less Ashted what a lovely read of these posts and some fab photos thank you all. This has given me some leads into the smith family history. All of my husbands smith family were born in no 6 court vauxhall rd. My husbands father thomas (1595 RWR) and his brother and sisters...
  19. smithy

King Kong Statue

Hya all I have just phoned my son in scotland and as far as he knows KING KONG WAS STILL IN Edinborough. At the mo he is at work in kendal but said when he gets back to his home in Wishaw he will take a picture and mail it to me
  20. smithy

Aston Union Workhouse

Hya all I have only recently been able to come back to this part of my family history. However, In my case it is true that my emily hannah smith was in the aston union workhouse due to the fact that she had diabetes and she had been widowed between 1901 and when she finally passed away in 1909...
Back