• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

The Fighting Mortons

A.E Morton was my grandfather Alfred Edward Morton, he was married to Florence Foster and as far as I know was a moulder by trade. He was 32 when he was KIA. I dont think he was one of the "fighting Mortons mentioned,his father was also named Alfred,
  2. C

Courtyards and yards of brum

Hello, does anyone know of or have pictures of Russell square, Angelina street please. Thanks. Charlie
  3. C

C & A Modes Corporation street

Hi, I worked there from about 1966 to 1968, in the dispatch deparment. Eunice McConnell.
  4. C

Robert Normansell Limited Exeter Street

Attached is apicture of Exeter place. In the right hand corner of the picture you can see a brick building wiht a slit window in the wall. This was the back corner of Normansells main factory
  5. C

Christine, see my replty to this thread. Charlie
  6. C

Normansells had two buildings, the main 3 story one was on the corner of Windmill street and Exeter street and the passage ran around the back and into Ernest street.This building had lacquer shops and polishing equipment and also the offices. The other building was on the opposite corner of...
  7. C

Bradley,John & co ltd

Hi Mike, I only knew him as Lennie but I would bet it is him.Benny Mills was a little old grey haired guy, looked one of the seven dwarfs and he worked on the 1/4 machines next to Les Truscott, right in front of the canteen stairs. He had an ulcer perforate at work one day and there was blood...
  8. C

Bradley,John & co ltd

I think that you have the right Lennie Cash. If I remeber correctly he did leave to become an apprentice electrician somewhere.It would be an amazing coincidence if he ended up working with you but I would bet money that it is him. I didn't know anyone at Heath Street GKN so would not have known...
  9. C

Bradley,John & co ltd

I started at Bradleys right out of school, I left school on a Friday in July 1964 and was working on the Monday. I went to Lea Mason school and the assistant headmaster, Mr Stephenson, knew Mr Clark so he got two of us into Bradleys.The other one was Lennie Cash, he only lasted a few weeks and...
  10. C

Bradley,John & co ltd

:fat:The split die was a 3/8 Greenbat Universal, could run either solid or split dies but ran split dies most of the time. I trained with Douggie Matts on that one and also the other two machines that you mentioned.After Doug left Bradley's Les smith and I ran the 3 machines as we were both...
  11. C

Bradley,John & co ltd

Hi Mike, Yes I would have bumped into you for sure as I went through the toolroom. Les Smith and I ran the 3 headers at the bottom the canteen stairs at the entrance to the barrel shop. These two pictures were of my buddy Les Smith sitting on the 3/8 Greenbat and the other is Les and myself...
  12. C

Bradley,John & co ltd

Hi Mike, You would not remember me as I was only at Bradleys from August 1964 to 1967.I do remember the barreling shop though, Les Smith and I used to creep in there and throw fireworks into the barrels. By the way, the barrels were filled with sawdust in those days so it probably was not the...
  13. C

The Fighting Mortons

Hello, My grandfather ,Alfred Edward Morton is listed by you. He lived at 2 Russell square in angelina street and was killed on April 9th 1917. Is he one oif the "fighting Mortons" ? I don't know anything about his parents. Thanks, Charlie
  14. C

Normansell

Hello, There was a factory owned by Normansells on the corner of Windmill street and Ernest Street and overlooked Exeter Place. It was a very old building, built in Victorian times and they made stampings and also items made of decorative brass, like those huge platters, fake antique pistols...
  15. C

Bradley,John & co ltd

Hi, I worked at John Bradleys from 1964 to 1967 and learned to run bolt headers and threaders there. There were probably 200 people working there and there were maybe 3 or 4 floors with a lift connecting them. The manager was Mr Clark and his assistant was Wilf Wheat.I remeber some opf the guys...
  16. C

Ephraim phillips ltd

Hi Peter, No problem with the name mix up, I get called Mike all the time (LOL). Trevor is in Canada working in Toronto, he had his own company for a while selling Nakashimada machinery etc and that is how I met him. Now he is managing a small fastener company. If I hear from him I will tell him...
  17. C

Serck

Hello, I had an uncle who worked at the Serck through the 50'and 60's. His name was George Birch and he lived on Tyndale road, Tysley, anyone remember him?
  18. C

Ephraim phillips ltd

I worked in the fastener/Bolts/screws and nuts business my whole life and finally retired as General Manager of a fastener company in Canda. I started out aged 15 at John Bradley on Holloway head, worked at Thomas Eaves in Ernest street, Ephraim Phillips in Balsall Heath, Haddon and Stokes and...
  19. C

Auxiliary Fire Service

:smile2: Hi judy, I was scrolling through posts on the site and found an article written in a NFS/AFS magazine called the "Squirt". It was about a fire rescue by William Mosedale and he won the George Cross for rescuing firemen trapped in the bombed out fire station on the corner of Grantham...
  20. C

Air Raid in or near Nechells

Hi, I worked at LH Newtons in the late 1960's. I t was indeed bombed during the war and the equipment was moved to Tamworth where they picked up a lot of local people to work in the factory. At the end of the war the damaged factory in Nechells was rebuilt and the equipment moved back to Brum...
Back