• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. T

Muntz George Frederick (1794-1857)

I know that the great man had a country house just up the road from where I now live in Rugby; at Clifton-on-Dunsmore.
  2. T

Mick Aston

I am sad that he has died; he made Time Team go down a lot easier. Ted
  3. T

Wpc56

It may be difficult for some to accept that the racism, sexism and bullying were so entenched in policing in those days, but they were. Birmingham City Police had a particullarly bad reputation. But there again this drama was not set in Birmingham. I can see this catching on, despite the...
  4. T

Where is This Schools? #11

Damn! I only live to get one right. Ted
  5. T

Where is This Schools? #11

Surely it's Queenbridge? Ted
  6. T

Traditional Songs we sang at school

Just catching up! For Carolina: 'Stately as a galleon...' This song by the wonderful Joyce Grenfell is what you recall; just google it to get all the right words so that it may be your party piece. Ted
  7. T

Was You One of These Children ?

Absolutely fabulous! Thank you. Ted
  8. T

Mike G's memorial day

Lovely tributes; from the one time I met him I am priveleged to echo them. Ted
  9. T

Balsall Heath.

Well Phil, this photo of the 38th B'ham Boy Scout Group triggers happy memories for me. There I am with my drum at the front of this sizeable marching band. On the pavement in his pioneer hat, that was the uniform then is 'H', Harry Wallace the real driving force behind the growth of this truely...
  10. T

Birmingham Trams

Yes, they are there waiting to be scrapped. Ted
  11. T

Sheldon Heath Comprehensive

I must admit to liking Mrs Coombes, despite her reputation! Everyone in our form remembers to this day the demonstration she gave of corrective discipline. Each end of the school was in cruciform layout and she was taking us for maths. She looked across the angle into the adjacent classroom and...
  12. T

Sheldon Heath Comprehensive

The 'Coombes' was Mrs. not Miss. The latter was the former's daughter. Both were simply fierce! Ted
  13. T

Birmingham Co-op Green Grocery Sherlock Street

I had the best part-time job around when I was about 13 - errand boy at Branch 66 FF&G on the corner of Balsall Heath Road and Upper Cox Street. By the time I was 15 I was virtually running the place because the manager was virtually useless - and I was still at school! He got the sack and was...
  14. T

Smells Of The Past

Childhood memories of the aroma of the plant that sprung up on bomb sites; commonly known as 'Fireweed'. As Adolf levelled the sites the seeds of this plant that had been built over in Victorian times burst out of their long incarceration into verdant growth. I can smell it now! Ted
  15. T

Kings Heath

Yes Ladylinda, you are dead-right - the old brain clearly was siezing-up!
  16. T

Kings Heath

Was the 'Treasure Chest' called 'Treasure Trove' or am I mistaken? Ted
  17. T

Montgomery Street School

Re: Mr D.B Brazier headteacher Montgomery School till late 70s Well what a 'spooky' find this thread is. I have absolutely no connection with the school but the name Don Brazier rang somewhere from way back, then I read in post number 8 the name of E Cooke. I knew her quite well for some years...
  18. T

Stechford Area

Who remembers the fatal train crash in the late '60s?
  19. T

Things kids say.

I was judging at the Three Counties Show about 30 years ago and my wife and I were having lunch in the judges and stewards tent. Our 5 year old had been playing happily outside on the bales of straw. He obviously was feeling hungry and came in to find us; "are there any left-overs for me" he...
  20. T

My Partner Ray

Sylvia, this is sad news for all of us, you especially. May our thoughts be of some strength to you. Love, Ted
Back