• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. G

Yardley Wood

Did this become the builders merchants, Q? ( I think it's called something else now)
  2. G

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

This is the house I have stayed in and visited many times https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3168557
  3. G

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

Yes, I don't think Cropwood is Blackwell Court, the houses are similar but the second photo does not look like Blackwell Court to me.
  4. G

They have lots of events that are not to do with Scouting, it's also an activity centre. If you give them a ring I'm sure you could visit the site. It's not gated or restricted access, you could walk around the grounds but may need permission to go in the house
  5. G

Thanks for your reply littleemily. I had never heard of this type of school before. I know there was a sanitorium for recouperation in Blackwell and wondered if they were connected. My connection is to Blackwell Court. I was quite involved with the Scouting organisation there for about 10 years...
  6. G

What was an open air school and why were you sent there? Is Cropwood now Blackwell Court used by the Scouts as a Camp and activity site?
  7. G

Lee Crowder, solicitors

I've read the link and it seems to say that the Crowder family owned the business Smythe Etches & Co going back three generations from John Crowder in 1936. The name Lee Crowder & co was adopted in 1936 and Lee Crowder in 1989.
  8. G

healy family Help needed on the

Hi Bewdley, do you have a link to the site you used to get the above info? Thanks :fat:
  9. G

The census is good, you can see signatures, house details etc but, unless you know more than a surname it is difficult to narrow down the number of returns and as all of the above were born after the 1911 census their info can not be used. I hope the OP finds out a bit more info and we can be of...
  10. G

It's quite difficult to narrow down the results and be certain they are accurate, sorry
  11. G

Ireland is not so easy to search. Do you know which part of Ireland they are from and roughly when they were born?
  12. G

Where is This Schools? #11

It has the look of a 60's build, a little like Queensbridge school at the bottom of Kings Heath.
  13. G

Hemming Annie Cannot find Death

Re: Cannot find Death If she did remarry, there is a death for Annie E Allen recorded 1912 Deaths Mar 1912 Allen Annie E 38 Aston 6d 356
  14. G

18 highcroft road

Ah thanks. I can't get to the library in person so it would have to be a written enquiry, Oh well I'll just have to be patient. Thankyou for the info :fat:
  15. G

18 highcroft road

My geat grandad died at 18 Union Rd which I know realise was Highcroft Hospital, in 1930. Is there an address I can write to for more information or should I contact the Library? Thanks
  16. G

Our Lady of Lourdes, Yardley Wood

I have a photo taken in front of the altar, my son's baptism. I can still remember the beautiful painying/mosaic(?) behind the altar
  17. G

Our Lady of Lourdes, Yardley Wood

Our Lady of Lourdes was my parish church from the late 70s until the mid 80s. I often heard the priest talk about the 'other' church that the parishioners had paid for but never realised that Our Lady of Lourdes church was so new. It had the feeling of being a much older building, I am surprised...
  18. G

Searching for a street or building....

This is a link to the street index mentioned above https://www.hunimex.com/warwick/freecens/1891_birmingham_street_index.html
  19. G

Ye Old Green Man/The Lad in the Lane

I also have Margaret Butler in my tree and I remember reading a will which mentions the Green Man being left to one of the children. There is another member on this forum who has a lot more information, Keith Salisbury. Maybe he can help.
Back