• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. J

Wenman street

Cheers brian, brilliant looking at the pics you have kindly put on jacko
  2. J

Hampden Street Balsall Heath

This is Mrs compton of hampden street taken in 1970 and i remember her sons tony and david
  3. J

Does anyone remember keith and edwin smith of hampden street?
  4. J

This is a picture of mrs compton on hampden street and remember her sons tony and david and picture was taken in 1970
  5. J

Wenman street

Cheers brian I assume you are from balsall heath?
  6. J

Wenman street

I attended the hall a few years later so i would expect to know faces on there
  7. J

Wenman street

HI BRIAN I used the hall a couple of years later but i would imagine i will know faces on there
  8. J

Alcester Street, Digbeth

The main reason i would have thought your grandfather came to birmingham was for the work, as you probably know birmingham was a very big industrialised city + we had the black country just down the road and from my own knowledge in terms of having irish relatives they say the same thing, it was...
  9. J

Alcester Street, Digbeth

Sorry i cannot help you freelancer and i cannot imagine you would find a list of folk that stayed there, thousands up on thousands must have passed through the doors of the rowton house from the day it was built. I wish you luck in your search JACKO
  10. J

HI RINGO That blue coloured shop became a fish shop and must have changed when mrs kay sold it? JACKO
  11. J

Alcester Street, Digbeth

I think most of the irish folk that came over the water worked on the building industry at some time, but i cannot understand why they got such a bad reception when they came to this country? My wifes uncle comes from mayo where i find they are very quiet and reserved folk and her mom comes...
  12. J

Alcester Street, Digbeth

HI LIZY My dad was from wexford southern ireland and he came here on the 11/02/1943 and obviously he would have met the same reception as others did, i never knew my dad but i have obtained his irish travel permit card and it has all the stamps in it where he would have to go to the police...
  13. J

Alcester Street, Digbeth

I bet she certainly noticed the change in the place LOL i wonder if she knew my old lady? her name is elsie williams or mooney. it's nice to hear that she was appreciated for keeping the place clean eh
  14. J

Alcester Street, Digbeth

Sorry about the name mix up ROBERTS
  15. J

Alcester Street, Digbeth

You can quote all you like bill but you have not had the experience of staying there i guess, my old lady worked there in the 60s cleaning as well as emptying the pee pots + against our wishes we had a drunken bum of a step father who hung around with the vagrants and even bought them home...
  16. J

I Remember When.....

You must be an olden like me sandra to remember the brew house LOL Dont you remember the evening mail shoes? we used to get from a place down saltley bridge and they used to be stamped so they could not be pawned, but eventually they stopped the stamping so i never got to wear them and probably...
  17. J

Alcester Street, Digbeth

I actually think the building looks depressive, i love to see grand architecture and appreciate the work and skill that went in to such buildings, that building was built for the vagrants by some lord rowton in 1903 so it was not intended to look grand for the wealthy but the poor souls to...
  18. J

I Remember When.....

The birmingham i was born and grew up in has long gone, I have gone back a few times since moving out 15 years ago and i have to say i do not feel it is my home of birth anymore, why do i feel that way you brummies may ask who still live there, a big influx of immigrants, drugs and murder...
  19. J

Alcester Street, Digbeth

The earl grey was on the corner of pershore and balsall heath road
  20. J

Alcester Street, Digbeth

I just lived down the road from the rowton house and my old lady used to work there emptying the .... pots from under the vagrants beds back in the 60s, Playing next door in highgate park was frightening, at times as the vagrants would approach you drunk as a skunk and slurring words so we would...
Back