• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. RogFromBrum

A model building set with clay bricks that had to be cemented together?

I had a Bayko! In fact, it's one of the very few things from my childhood that I still have. I've yet to introduce the grandchildren to it because here's a risk of them be kebabed.
  2. RogFromBrum

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts! I think petermu has hit the nail on the head and I reckon that Brickplayer is what my friend had. My friend certainly struggled to build anything that didn't look derelict and the times I tried to assist didn't help much. The description on Wikipedia sums...
  3. RogFromBrum

In the late 50s/early 60s a friend of mine had a kit for building model houses. Little clay bricks had to be stuck together with a special cement and then the completed building could be soaked in water which allowed the bricks to be pulled apart for reuse. It was incredibly difficult to...
  4. RogFromBrum

Lordswood Boys' Technical School

That's a shame about your school prize. They could have given you a certificate and presented you with the book at a later date when it was back in stock. I won a few prizes while I was there, but I was fortunate to choose books that were available! The last prize I won was when I was in the...
  5. RogFromBrum

I was in form 3A in 1963 which suggests that streaming started in the third year. Then I went into 4A and 5A before going into L6Sci and then U6Sci. I don't recall Engineering Drawing being an option at A-Level but I did it for O-Level. At A-Level, I did Maths, Physics and Chemistry, then went...
  6. RogFromBrum

Well remembered, Roger! You were in the same year as me (Roger Parker). I also started in 1961, aged 11, but in 1J. (Then 2J, 3A, 4A, 5A, L6Sci and finally U6Sci). What do you think the abbreviations N, F, J and S stood for? Do they stand for months of the year and mark quarters of the year in...
  7. RogFromBrum

I recall there being a 13 Plus in the state sector. I think it was to recognise that some children were not ready for a big exam at 11 so it provided a second chance at 13. I was in Stephenson House but in Form 1J and then 2J, so the classes weren't based on house names but I can't recall what...
  8. RogFromBrum

I think if you entered in 1963 after passing the 13 Plus, you must have been in the same year as me (Roger Parker). I started in 1961 after passing the 11 Plus. In my third year I was in Form 3A with Mr Fletcher as Form Master. I was in Stephenson house. I remember Mr Betts very well, including...
  9. RogFromBrum

Trying to identify a lido!

Regrettably the historic photos online for Stewponey, Bournville, Droitwich or Knowle don't seem to match my photo. But thanks, all, for your ideas.
  10. RogFromBrum

Thanks for the suggestion. Looking at a couple of old photos of Stechford lido online it looks like it was bigger than 'mine' and may have had curved sides. I also just come across a list of Birmingham lidos, and there were quite a few in years gone by -...
  11. RogFromBrum

When living in Birmingham in the late 1950s/early 1960s I visited the lido shown in the photo below. As we didn't have a car, I think it must have been inside Birmingham or no further than a bus ride outside the city but I've not found any images on Google that suggest where it might have been...
  12. RogFromBrum

Public baths for washing near Winson Green, 1950s/60s

Thanks, Rosie! Just past Winson Green Road makes sense now I think about it. Sorry your husband had his nap disturbed! He must be a similar age to me as that's what I do most afternoons! :) Roger
  13. RogFromBrum

Public baths for washing near Winson Green, 1950s/60s

As a child growing up in Heath Street, Winson Green, and living in a house with no bathroom, in the late 1950s and early 1960s I used to go to a public baths about once a week for a bath (whether I was dirty or not!). Does anyone know if there were public baths in Heath Street itself, or would...
  14. RogFromBrum

Aluminium saucepans, property of Birmingham Corporation Electric Supply Dept

Mine is also a BCM/Pyramid, but a 7 pinter! I can't find a number on mine, but it may have worn off. Nothing can be ruled out as to its source, but I've done a bit more digging around and saucepans could be hired from some electricity companies. The Science Museum Group has a saucepan which is...
  15. RogFromBrum

Thank you - interesting! I'd not thought about it, but I suppose if my parents were hiring the saucepans, most likely the electric cooker was also on hire.
  16. RogFromBrum

Convalescent Home

In 1956, aged about 6, I was taken very seriously ill and spent a month in Dudley Road Hospital, two weeks of which were in an oxygen tent with a tracheostomy tube in place. On discharge from hospital, I was then sent to a children's convalescence home for a month. I'm trying to find out more...
  17. RogFromBrum

I'm not sure which forum this best fits into, but since it was a childhood memory I'll try here! My parents, living in the Winson Green area, had an electric cooker in the 1950s and they had aluminium saucepans which were each stamped: "This pan is the property of the Birmingham Corporation...
  18. RogFromBrum

I was a year behind you (61-68) and I well remember the productions of The Pirates of Penzance and Iolanthe, although I didn't take part. At the time I thought they were really impressively done and they sparked an interest I still have in Gilbert and Sullivan. I also remember a couple of other...
  19. RogFromBrum

That's very interesting, Mervyn, building a new school in the grounds of the old. I think the original building dates back to the late 1950s so is probably overdue for replacement. Thanks for sharing.
  20. RogFromBrum

Yes, I remember Mr Betts - he supposedly had a dog and he liked to tell us that the dog could do a better job than we were doing - which many of us couldn't really dispute. A stop press announcement in the 1963 issue of the school magazine reported that the dog had passed its 11 plus!
Back