• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

Items that have faded away

Never heard of Carbide Chips. What were they for ? Yes we were dangerous kids werent we ? and little bl###rs as well at times. A penny banger followed by a marley, in a bit of pipe with one end hammered flat used to be my favourite. Never managed to hit anything though. Also once a banger was...
  2. C

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Pity theres never a year included in the date on adverts like these. The Barbs one would be 1974 I reckon. I was at both gigs, Dont remember much about the Be Bop Deluxe gig - Actually dont remember much from those days if it happened after 8 pm. lol - But that Stomu Yamashata gig was wierd...
  3. C

Local advertising of yesteryear

Sorry, cant remember Plumleys. Used to go to Shipleys in Cattell Rd - He was related to my old man in some way I think - or Regans by Green Lane Library.
  4. C

Slums

Didnt really seem all that bad if you grew up with it. It was just what you were used to. Till I was about 14 in the mid 60s, I lived in a back to back, one tap, one electricity socket, shared toilet, no bathroom, one coal fire etc. 4 kids, a living room about 12' X 10' Didnt feel like an...
  5. C

Boots still sell itn dunno what it does though. Probably snake oil like a lot of old remedies and tonics. Cant think why but any mention of Sanatogen makes me think of Shelleys Chemist on Coventry Rd.
  6. C

More about Woolworths

I've been keeping a lookout for a photo of the Dudley Rd Branch for ages. My first job, around 1968/69, was in a TV shop next door but one to it, with a Cafe in between. But the worksohops were above the Cafe and probably part of Woolworths. Back then Woolies used to employ loads of young...
  7. C

Small Heath Recreation Ground.

Heres yer proof. Thought I had one of the Heliport as well but I cant find it. I wonder of the other Circus was Gerry Cottles.
  8. C

Local advertising of yesteryear

Course you do Graham. Last shop on the left.
  9. C

Small heath

2 cars then ... Probably OK in the summer months. I remember there use to be long queues on a friday afternoon. Mates who worked there were all scared of the boss iirc.
  10. C

Small heath

It was called the 5 minute car wash. Anerican style, half a dozen kids washing em by hand sort of like a production line. Owned by an Italian guy called Tony I think. At the side of it there was an exit door to the kingston balcony which didnt lock properly. Easy to open from the outside if...
  11. C

Old street pics..

I've seen the picture before, and I'd love to know the house number. Where did you take it ? My G G Grandparents lived in Victoria Rd till the mid 1800's and I cant help but wonder.... He died in 1855 aged in his 60s. so the age would be about right. There are no phto's afaik, so nothing to...
  12. C

Templefield Road Stores

Round about where the F and the I are, there were some newer semi detached houses with bay windows, and a drive or passage at the side of the end one. I remember that well, cos I had a serious run in with the woman who lived in the end one when I was a kid ( best leave it there) The club, or at...
  13. C

Templefield Road Stores

The triangular shape just behind the blue mark ??
  14. C

Templefield Road Stores

Round about 1961 or 62 I can remember playing around in an empty building just behind where the blue mark is on the map. It had been a club of some sort I think. Cant remember there being a shop there, but I seem to rememeber there were gates.
  15. C

Remember this stuff ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlcxwwd19Qg Bottle of pink chemicals, I used to drink it with my warm chicken and stuffing sandwiches from a cake shop on Pine Square. sounds orrible now !
  16. C

Remember Dynamo lights on pushbikes. The one type looked like a little metal bottle and was held against a tyre by a spring, the other was built into one of the hubs. I think there was even one with a battery so that your lights stayed on when you were not moving. Made it bit harder to pedal...
  17. C

The Non-famous Music Scene In Birmingham

sounds like your a man who'd enjoy the bulls head Bob and the brumbeat websites. https://www.bullsheadbob.blogspot.com/
  18. C

Tiswas

I'm sure I saw the phantom flanflinger walking down Alum Rock Rd yesterday..lol
  19. C

While we're on the subject of womens underwear - who remembers disposable paper knickers from the early 70s. Sort of Jcloth material I think.
  20. C

Dont forget the Draw Tin, unless you used the old broadsheet Bham Mail. Used to be good watching it scorch before it burst into flame didnt it ?
Back