• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Lady Penelope

Birmingham Advertisements - Early 20th Century

Hi, I've been asked to look for early 20th Century advertisements particularly connected to Birmingham. This is to do with the Cross-City Line, also known as The Spaghetti Line. The theme is around 1908. If anyone has any pictures of posters etc. I'd be very grateful. Many thanks, Penny
  2. Lady Penelope

Floppy Disc - Erdington Cottage Homes Evacuation

Good Morning, I have a disc but no computer to open it on! A long time ago I interviewed a lady for the church magazine who was a nursery nurse at the Cottage Homes. She volunteered to be evacuated during WW2 to Wales. At first they were housed at a Youth Hostel at Arthog / Dolgellau but Lord...
  3. Lady Penelope

West Bromwich Pub

The attached image is a 'find' from a Leicestershire field. I don't seem to have taken a photo of the other side for some reason but will ask for one. There's no pub name on it but it does say 'Inn' and High Street. It also gives the name Henry Oliver and West Bromwich. I tried 'The Lion and...
  4. Lady Penelope

Vine Hotel Alma Street

The finding of gold coins on an other thread prompted me to post these pictures. My cousin is a deterctorist and found this token in a field in Leicestershire. Unfortunately its not gold!
  5. Lady Penelope

West Bromwich Cemeteries

I'm trying to trace the burial of Silvanus (Sylvanus) Maybury whose death is registered in the first quarter of 1840 in West Bromwich. I thought he would be at All Saints Church but the burial doesn't come up on Ancestry as far as I can see. He seems to have had quite a connection to that...
  6. Lady Penelope

656-658 Chester Road

I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction please? There is a large white building which is actually two properties close to Chester Road station. This house was built before the railway came and, like a good many other buildings in this area, sits on the boundary between Erdington...
  7. Lady Penelope

Old Pictures of Erdington (needing attention please)

I have recently found a great book (in size as well as content) by Meacham. It includes hundreds of newscuttings about Erdington. You will see that they aren't very clear images but it's difficult to take photos and hold the book down! I'm not sure whether they are prints from the newspapers...
  8. Lady Penelope

Jordan's Grave - New Oscott

I've been researching Jordan's Grave for some time and theories abound as to what it is and who Jordan was. He could have been a highwayman, hung on the gibbet just down the road, a self-murderer/suicide (buried at the crossroads with a stake through his heart) or maybe a gypsy interred at a...
  9. Lady Penelope

James and Robinson, Bristol Street, B'ham

Last night I went to a talk about WW1 at the Erdington Historical Society. It was about a despatch rider who later became a pilot. He had to provide his own motorbike and was immediately made a corporal because private soldiers were not allowed to talk to officers. As he was delivering messages...
  10. Lady Penelope

Chester Road Bridge Accident - Poor Image

I realise that this is a very poor photo. It's a scan of a photocopy of a newspaper cutting. You can see what a near miss the bus (No. 28) is having but the lorry carrying the tank wasn't so lucky. The road was lowered not long afterwards causing different problems with flooding. Such an...
  11. Lady Penelope

Gipsy Lane

Can anyone help with the original route of Gipsy Lane please? The only map I have, pre-cemetery, is a bit fuzzy. I can't tell if what I'm looking at is a track or a stream! It's the 1815 OS one. I'm wondering if it was a track leading up to what is now College Road, crossing what would have...
  12. Lady Penelope

Will - William Maybury/Mayberry/Maebury etc.

Does everyone have to have wills or probate? I'm searching for one for William Maybury, born in West Bromwich in 1741 and the most likely death is 1801 in Birmingham. His last child Jabez was born in this city. There's quite a lot of documentation about his wife Jane (nee Jackson) including her...
  13. Lady Penelope

Moseley, Skirt Street

Has anyone heard of this Street please? It may have been misheard/misspelled as I can't find anything so far on the 1841 census. I have a burial entry from 1844 for Kezia Collins, Skirt Street, St Mary's, Moseley. I have found her baptism entry in 1795 at St Mary's Church, Whittall Street. She...
  14. Lady Penelope

Black Swan, Erdington

I know this is a very long time ago and a long shot but I have been puzzing for ages over this document from the archives. I'm presuming (despite my motto of 'never presume') that Fipehall is Pipe Hall and as there is a mention of 'Hayes' it's around that area. As you know, Aston covered a large...
  15. Lady Penelope

Probate Query from 1700's

This is the probate form for Methuselah Whitehouse who lived in Court Lane Erdington. I'm having trouble with the entry underlined in red. Could someone have a go at reading it for me please? Many thanks.
  16. Lady Penelope

87 Cornwall Street

I'm researching a family called Lefevre who lived at Broadfields House, Sutton Coldfield (the house is on another thread). Louisa Lefevre died in 1927 and although her address is still Broadfields she died at 87 Cornwall Street, Birmingham. Can anyone help with what was at this address in 1927...
  17. Lady Penelope

Thefts from Libraries

I went to Sutton Library yesterday to look at some of their good collection of local directories which are usually on the shelf. They were not on their shelf so, thinking they'd been moved, we asked the librarian who informed us that they had been nicked! The whole collection taken from the...
  18. Lady Penelope

Photo Repair Please

Could someone improve this photo for me please? I don't know who is pictured but the reverse reads 'Baby Bennett, 19 Bridge Road, Gravelly Hill' which was my Gt Grandparents house.
  19. Lady Penelope

Lucas Gt Kings St Christmas 1951

We recently had a family gathering of all the remaining members of our father's family (four cousins). Our Leicestershire cousin bought along lots of memorabilia, photos etc. among which was this photo. Our Auntie Lil(lian), worked at Lucas's either in the accounts department or the wages office...
  20. Lady Penelope

Book: First Blood - An insight into Scotland's Forgotten Prize-fighting History by Tony Geem

I first had contact with Tony Gee many years ago when I was researching my Great Uncle Joe who was born in Ryland Street, Birmingham in 1856 and later moved to Frankfort Street. Joe Woolley or 'Our Joe', as he was known in the family, became a bare-knuckle boxer and emigrated to America in the...
Back