• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Lady Penelope

The Grid Project – In The Footsteps Of Phyllis…

This looks really interesting Mort and I shall be looking at it later today. Viv, I was listening to a podcast the other day and they mentioned 'Mole Days' where you visit places you knew and enjoyed as a as a child. The 'Mole' is apparently from Wind in the Willows and this is what he did - I...
  2. Lady Penelope

Birmingham Advertisements - Early 20th Century

Viv, I have a copy of that poster and I'm waiting to get a frame for it. Thank you both - I will pass the pictures on.
  3. Lady Penelope

Hi Everyone, just to clarify (I have a tendency to think everyone can read my mind and they can't). The term 'Spaghetti Line' was only coined very recently and not by the railway itself. In the same way that the line which goes to Stratford is known by some as the 'Shakespeare Line', the...
  4. Lady Penelope

Thank you all. I found quite a few that might do and I'm only half way through! Plenty up for discussion at any rate. Here are a few names - Bird's Custard, Bournville, BSA, Bull Ring, Cadbury's, Dunlop, Hudson's Whistles, Kunzle, Kynoch, Lucas, Prince of Wales Theatre, GWR, & Wolsley Motors...
  5. Lady Penelope

Perfect, thanks Viv. I tried all variations of Advertisements'/Adverts' in the search facility and have spent some time on 'Adverts of Yesteryear' but nothing really suitable. However, I shall now pass another happy hour. It keeps me out of trouble anyway! Penny
  6. Lady Penelope

Hi, I've been asked to look for early 20th Century advertisements particularly connected to Birmingham. This is to do with the Cross-City Line, also known as The Spaghetti Line. The theme is around 1908. If anyone has any pictures of posters etc. I'd be very grateful. Many thanks, Penny
  7. Lady Penelope

Uncle Holly at Lewis's

At the 2021 Christmas Fair Graham dressed as Uncle Holly (not a good photo unfortunately) and whoever wrote the notice they called him Mr Holly. He had rigged a bike up to a Christmas tree and if it was pedalled hard enough it lit up the tree.
  8. Lady Penelope

Libraries at Risk

They tried this for a time at Erdington Library, sweeping away the lovely old entrance desk, bringing in the neighbourhood office and then deciding that it wasn't a success and reverting back to library only. Sutton Library is falling apart and access to records is minimal. The staff are as...
  9. Lady Penelope

WILKES, Joseph (DOB ~1800)

Glad you found it useful JoPro. It looks as though Joseph was a marine if I've read it right. I have Wilkes in my family tree about six generations back but as I said before lost all my research with the crash. I do have papers but they will take some time to look through but if I find anything...
  10. Lady Penelope

Morning JoPro, Firstly, I'm not familiar with the Merchant Navy but I had a look on the internet and I don't think the term applied until much later. This needs looking into but unfortunately my laptop crashed and I lost years of research (my own fault - I now back up regularly). I'm sure that...
  11. Lady Penelope

Hi Sue, yes, Birmingham is a long way from the sea but regular recruiting parties used to set up stall in this city and I'm sure in many others.. They probably would have run out of local men! I have two ancestors, Birmingham born, who were in the navy and two in the marines.
  12. Lady Penelope

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2024

Happy New Year Everyone. Hope it's a good one!
  13. Lady Penelope

CHRISTMAS WISHES 2023

Happy Christmas everyone.
  14. Lady Penelope

Christmas preparations past and present

Mark, I have a postcard in my aunts collection sent on the morning of a visit to say that they wouldn't be able to meet this lunch time.
  15. Lady Penelope

My Mom always used her mother's Christmas pudding recipe and that included grated carrots. I think they were ahead of their time as these days we all like carrot cake! Nannie Woolley was born in 1871 and the recipe could have been her mother's. I remember suet coming in a big uneven lump which...
  16. Lady Penelope

A Walk Down Summer Lane by John Douglas

That looks really interesting Peter, definitely something to look at later.
  17. Lady Penelope

Every year I buy my daughter in law a tin of biscuits from M & S - last year it was a musical one with lights that played on the ceiling showing Santa's sleigh and reindeer gliding across. I think this year it's back to a house that can be used with a tealight. Definitely agree Viv, I love a...
  18. Lady Penelope

We're down to just us two this year (our choice) although we will be seeing the family over the holiday. I usually make a Brazil nut and chestnut roulade for the main course with all the usual (veggie) trimmings. This year I have broken with tradition and will be buying everything. I visited M&S...
  19. Lady Penelope

Lynne Webb RIP

Very sad news and my sympathy is with the family at this sad time. She will be missed.
  20. Lady Penelope

It's Lyn's (Astoness) birthday

Sorry I missed your day Lyn. It sounds as if you had a really lovely day. Enjoy tomorrow. Love Penny
Back