• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. M

The Eagle and Ball Pub

It looks very much like it. When I started work back in 1959 at the Birmingham Cooperative Society, my father worked at fresh fruit and greengrocery warehouse in Sherlock street the eagle and ball pub was opposite the warehouse. My father frequently ate his dinnertime sandwiches there. I've also...
  2. M

Silvermere Secondary Modern

Hello Gordon, my name is David Harvey and I was at Silvermere Secondary Modern school until 1959. Your dad taught me metalwork until I left there. If anyone is reading this post recalls my name and would like to contact me please do so.
  3. M

Ashley Street Nelson Street South

Many thanks mikejee, the 1901 census lists Albert Harvey, my grandfather as living there. He's listed as a "coal yard keeper" status "worker" on the census which I recall Dad telling me. The family history is all starting to fit together. I can't recall my father ever telling me about living...
  4. M

Ashley Street Nelson Street South

Census details are RG13/2835. Address details 25 Ashley Street (St Martins Ward. Any help in finding out where this is in Birmingham or details of where I can find any pictures or maps of the area will be much appreciated. Many thanks.
  5. M

Birmingham Co-op Green Grocery Sherlock Street

Les, This is the photo referred to in my earler message. The photo was taken in 1928 at the Commercial Motor Vehicle Show in Queens Drive, Cannon Hill Park. The picture was taken in June of that year. If you save the image onto your computer, you should be able to enlarge the image quite...
  6. M

OK Les - I'll see what I can do. I'm away on holiday for the next few days, however, if I can upload it before I go I'll do so. If not, it's on the to do list as of now!! If I'm having problems uploading the picture I'll get in touch with you by email via this site - assuming your ok with...
  7. M

Les, Your going a long way back in time here. My Dadmay well have known him. Dad started at the co-op back in the early 20's and retired back in 1967 ish. He worked all his life as a driver in the FF&GG dept. Sad to say I can't ask Dad about Joe Hancock - Dad's no longer with us. However, I...
  8. M

Co-operative Transport Department

Chris B, Did you ever work at the Co-op Transport Dept? I started work there back in 1959 after leaving school at the age of 15. I started work in the Gt Brook Street workshop in the Electricians Shop. There was a second garage in Forster Street which housed a large number of all sorts of...
  9. M

Robert, I can't say that the name springs to mind straight away, although I'm sure Dad would have known him. I was looking through some old copies of "Your Voice" which was a magazine featuring all Birmingham Co-operative Society news. I retained these because they featured Dad's safe driving...
  10. M

I certainly do remember the Brmingham Co-operative Society Green Grocery Dept. My father, William Harvey worked there for a good many years. The department was located in Sherlock Street. I also worked at the Birmingham Co-operative but in their Transport department in GT Brook Street in...
Back