• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. davidfowler

Old Bromford Lane

Not posted for some time but I've come across this postcard again on eBay which states it as Bromford Lane. It seems to be from a publisher - Hicgs (?) in Alum Rock. Having been born in Bromford Lane I'd love to know where abouts this could have been taken. Apologies if this has been discussed...
  2. davidfowler

A Christmas Carol at The Rep

My wife, her sister and I went to Mondays matinee. What a great performance. It's a musical (or at least it has a lot of singing amongst the dialogue!). The cast were all fantastic, Marley's ghost in particular had a singing voice which would have blown anything the TV talent shows throw at us...
  3. davidfowler

Birlec (BEM Ltd)

I posted on the "Starting work at 14" thread about my uncle's first job in 1942 was at the Birlec on Tyburn Rd near the junction with Bromford Lane. In one of his diaries he's written about the people he worked with. Not sure how old he was when this was written, probably late teens/early...
  4. davidfowler

Royal Britannia, Aston

I'd posted before that on this site someone had contatced me regarding families in Aston. This is a photo she sent where some of my relatives (by marriage) are shown. I thought members might like it as some may have their own family connections. It's The Royal Britannia, Park Lane, Aston showing...
  5. davidfowler

Aston Chain and Hook

I moved around the corner from Bromford Lane to Tyburn Road in 1953 as a young boy. Our house backed onto Aston Chain and Hook. Here's a photo of the factory from the air. Tyburn Road is going across from left to right and Bromford Lane diagonally from bottom left to upper right. Our house...
  6. davidfowler

Hill Top Farm Handsworth

I'm hoping our resident map genius (mikejee of course) can help. Vivienne had posted a map showing Birchfield House, https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38467&page=2 post #29, and Mike posted later, #31, a 1938 version. As you can see from Viv's map there's a Hill Top Farm to...
  7. davidfowler

Fowler in Aston

My Grand Uncle, Harry, also known as Henry, Fowler lived in Aston until his death in 1952. I remember visiting his grocers shop with my parents when I was quite young. He was married to Ada nee Stacey. They had, I believe the following children: Ada b 1898 William b 1901 John E b 1910 Celia b...
  8. davidfowler

Birmingham's Working Horses

As recently I've been asking for help genealogically-wise, I thought I should try to redress the balance by posting some historical info. I picked up a book during the summer by Bryan Holden - "Birmingham's Working Horses" - and here are some photos. We all know that there used to be many...
  9. davidfowler

Berners Street, Lozells

I've just found a new relative on the 1891 census living at 12 Court 6 House Berners St, Lozells (joins Lozells Rd). I can see it on myBartholomew's But wondered if anyone could pinpoint (or close!) this house. Thanks in advance.
  10. davidfowler

Contact with another researcher via Ancestry

Not sure where to have posted this. I found someone who had the same research as me for one of my surname interests but their tree was marked "Private". So I sent a personal message to them asking if I could have a look at his tree and that he could look at mine as it's "Public". This is his...
  11. davidfowler

Branston Avenue, Sherbourne Rd, Balsall Heath

Can anyone (Mike?) help with pinpointing this Avenue please. The family were living very near Sherbourne Rd in the 1901 census and I can find Sherbourne Rd on my 1952 Bartholomew's but not Branston Ave. This is from the 1911 census. Thanks in advance.
  12. davidfowler

13 Court Water Street

Wondered if anyone has a map showing 13 Court Water St (off Livery St) in the late1800s? My maternal grandfather was born there in 1891. Thanks in advance.
  13. davidfowler

ELO while working on my PC

Working hard on stuff today and I've been going through "My Music" I have on the computer. This LP, "Out of the Blue" (whoops, showing my age!) has been on most of the afternoon. It's still up there for me with UB40, loads of Ska, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Ry Cooder, MJQ and lots more. I'd like to...
  14. davidfowler

Book: Old & New Birmingham by Robert K Dent

I picked up the 3 volumes of "Old and New Birmingham" by Robert K Dent at the weekend car boot. They are divided into: "From earliest times to 1760", ”From 1760 to 1832" and “From 1832 to 1880". Originally published 1878 -1880 these were re-published in 1972. There's an interesting item...
  15. davidfowler

Sheep Street

One of my ancestors was living at 16 Sheep St, Aston on the 1881 census. I've got maps from 1912 and 1839 showing the houses but wondered if anyone can identify house numbers? (Probably mikejee:D) Thanks in advance. David
  16. davidfowler

New Villa Anthem

OMG, just saw this on youtube. How embarrassing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO1Lm8EcODQ
  17. davidfowler

Windows XP Security 2011 (Crap!)

Just to let you all know that today I started to get loads of pop ups with this headline. It looks spookily like a proper Windows ad. It's not! Basically it was saying that my computer was infected with upwards of 30 serious breaches. I couldn't/still can't get on to the internet easily...
  18. davidfowler

Bromford Racecourse

I posted before that as a small boy I used to watch the racegoers walking down Bromford Lane outside our house opposite the Valour Sports Field with Prince Monalulu (aka Peter Carl MacKay) being one of the colourful characters. I've just bought a race card from the Easter Meeting 1950, I would...
  19. davidfowler

Dogger at tube works

While checking the 1911 census for the place where I (and a lot of my relatives) were born, I discovered a family with a super name - PINGO - and one of the sons, 14 years old, was down as a "Dogger Up" at the Tube mill. It's amazing how many types of manufacturing had such specific names for...
  20. davidfowler

Builders' Apprenticeship 1900

Here's my Uncle's father's apprenticeship agreement from Oct 1900.
Back