• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. R

Birmingham Municipal Bank Moneybox

Hello there I till have my Birmingham Municipapal Bank money box. With no Municipal Bank to open it, I'm stuck. It still has some of my 1958 pocket money in it! Would love to use it again. Does anyone know the least destructive way to get in. (Fairly sure if could get to the lock and see the...
  2. R

WW1 Birmingham Employers Roll of Honour City of Birmingham Gas Department

Hello folks Does anyone know where I can access the WW1 Birmingham Employers Roll of Honour for the City of Birmingham Gas Department? I'm looking for John Thomas Johnston (or Johnstone) born 1892 who worked for the Gas Company. Cheers.
  3. R

Looking for a home and a manufactory in Moseley/Wake Green in the 1840’s and 1850’s

Hello folks I'm Looking for the site of a home and a manufactory in Moseley/Wake Green in the 1840’s and 1850’s John Edelsten had a manufactory at the ‘Yardley Works, Wake Green, Moseley’, up to his death in 1860 where he continued to develop pin making machinery. (It is thought this...
  4. R

The Cottage, Mill Pool Hall Kings Heath

Hello folks I'm looking for the location of Mill Pool Hall, Kings Heath so I can pin down the cottage. I know of Mill Pool Hill just past Coxmoor and the cannal wharfs to the right but can find no reference to a Mill Pool Hall. Just in case there is anyone else on the trail the address was...
  5. R

Quinneys Farm Moseley/Yardley

Hello folks I'm looking for any reference that will help me locate and learn a bit about Quinneys Farm. On the census records it appears on the Yardley Wood Road close to Bells Walk. Can anyone help? Many thanks
  6. R

Tobacconist Ladywood

Hello Folks This is a really long shot. There was a Tobacconist with the name Vern, I assume short for Vernon. This could be a first or second name who has a shop for a fair time up to when he died in the mid to late 1930's. He must have been reasonably well heeled as he travelled abroad on...
  7. R

Dale/ Ward Doris

Hello Folks Looking for Doris Dale of 26 Kensington Street Biringham B19 in the Middle of 1940. I have alson posted this in 'Ward' as she may also have used this name. Any clues gratefully recieved Thanks
  8. R

Ward / Dale Doris

Hello folks Looking for any reference to a 'Doris Ward Dale' or 'Doris Ward' or even 'Doris Dale' and/or her family.We know she was in 26 Kensington Street B19 in the April May and June of 1940. We don't know if she was a boarder, living alone or with her family or if she was local although...
  9. R

Nickless Handsworth West Bromwich.

Hello there folks I'm looking for traces of a Lilian M Nickless (Possibly Lilian Mary, the Mary after her paternal grandmother) who was worn in Handsworth in the Sept Quarter of 1928. Her father was Walter William Nickless b June Q1894 Handsworth West Bromwhich and her mother Lilian...
  10. R

dartmouth street

Hello folks does anyone know when Dartmouth Street and environs was first developed? I'm having trouble tracking this down. Thanks
  11. R

Sheldon (King, sisters Harriet and Mary)

Hello I'm looking for decendents of Lillian Sheldon, full enquiry under King, sisters Harriet and Mary on the surname bit of the forum Thanks
  12. R

King, sisters Harriet and Mary

Hello Folks I'm looking for decendents of Lillian King who was registered as Lillian Sheldon at her birth on 17 Nov 1886 22 Spash Street, Aston. Either Harriet or Mary had Lillian by Walter James Sheldon and Mary later went on to be 'Mrs Sheldon'. Certificates tell us Harriet was the mother...
  13. R

Birmingham Shipbuilding Thomas Walker & Son

I keep picking up references to the involvement of Birmingham in Shipbuilding. Even had an ancestor who was a 'ships cabin fitter'. As unlikely as this seems the references still keep cropping up, but no sources. Can anyone shed any light on Birmingham Shipbuilding? Cheers
  14. R

Rose and Crown Trent Street.

Hello folks I'm looking for anything on the Rose and Crown Trent street or any photos of the street itself. Targeting around 1900 but would grateful for anything. thanks
  15. R

Haunch Lane Farm Kings Heath.

Hello folks I'm looking for any reference to Haunch Lane Farm in Kings Heath. My interest is from the 1880's through to the interwar years when the land was developed for housing. I know from census returns that the farm was developed from the 1890s/1900's to be a Market Garden under...
  16. R

The Castle Inn, Vere Street

Hello Folks In the 1890's there was a pub called the Castle Inn at 43 Vere Street. The landlord was one Thomas Henry Davenport Hibberd. Can anyone help with further details of the pub or the landlord? (Ive looked for references to old pubs in Vere Street and the only one I can find was the...
  17. R

Allied Advance 1944

Hello folks Can anyone give me a clue about the following? I'm looking without much success for what the 1 Bn Leicestershire's were doing in France on or around the 15 Aug 1944 (I am looking to see how someone was killed in action there. If it helps he is buried in the Ranville War...
  18. R

Taylor Elsie May born April31906

Hello Folks I'm looking for any trace of Elsie May Taylor born 3 April 1906 to Agnes Mary Taylor (and it says on the birth cert Arthur Taylor) We know that Elsie was living with her grndparents John and Mary Taylor and their family at 349 High Street Stirchley but have been unable to find...
  19. R

Cox Street West - Balsall Heath

Hello Folks Does anyone know when Cox Steet West in Balsall Heath was built? We know The church St. Thomas-in-the-Moors, was started from the estate of William Sands Cox, Esq., in 1868 and finished in1883. any help appreciated. Thanks
  20. R

Coventry Road

hello folks. Does anyone know where 425 -427 Coventry Road was, circa 1911. Thanks
Back