• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. R

Happy Valley Pleasure Grounds

Thanks for your post Speedy. Been collecting info on Happy Valley for years starting with stories from my Dad. The irony is that I had a Saturday job at Dennis Hays working in the yard and making gallons of tea . (Dennis Hay was also an amiable golfer at Gay Hill. I earned a few bob there as a...
  2. R

Nickless Handsworth West Bromwich.

Thanks again. Don't know if you are connected but just in case. Walter William Nickless died in in 1968 in Birmingham, his wife Lilian nee Sheldon in Leicester in 1997 (I think), Lilian M Nickless, their daughter. appears to have married Jack Dobson in 1969 (following the death of her father.)...
  3. R

Thanks for that Suzanne. The above would be Joseph James Nickless born 1893. He was the brother of Walter William Nicklessborn 1894 who married (1925) the Lilian Sheldon born 1886. Stepping slowly closer! Again thanks
  4. R

Thanks for this Bryn. If some of the Nickless family moved from Haseley Road to Clarence Road but your Mrs Nickless was back at the old address as late as the 1950's I will have to work out who she was. Thanks again
  5. R

Birmingham University Rag Day/week

Hi folks In the early to mid 1950's my parents took me to torchlight parades through the city centre. Floats and people dressed up with flaming torches of hemp rope. By a process of elinination I think they must have been rag week parades (I was too young to remember anything other than the...
  6. R

Looking for a home and a manufactory in Moseley/Wake Green in the 1840’s and 1850’s

Re: Looking for a home and a manufactory in Moseley/Wake Green in the 1840’s and 1850 Thanks Mikejee Couldn't be clearer than that. Its a great help. I'll keep looking for the works. Thanks for the census tip Ken R. I tried that, but unless its a built up area its less than specific Thanks again
  7. R

Looking for a home and a manufactory in Moseley/Wake Green in the 1840’s and 1850’s

Hello folks I'm Looking for the site of a home and a manufactory in Moseley/Wake Green in the 1840’s and 1850’s John Edelsten had a manufactory at the ‘Yardley Works, Wake Green, Moseley’, up to his death in 1860 where he continued to develop pin making machinery. (It is thought this...
  8. R

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

This short book has just been forwarded to me, I was unaware of it, apologies if its been posted before. "Birmingham and Birmingham Men" (reprinted from the Birmingham Daily Mail, E. Edwards Dec 1877) https://www.gutenberg.org/files/18821/18821-h/18821-h.htm Regards
  9. R

The Cottage, Mill Pool Hill Kings Heath

Thanks Mikejee, this makes it a little clearer. The cottages and buildings above the Horseshoe had gone when I was a lad. They had probably been demolished when the bridge was widened and the road layout changed in the 1930's. The wharf on lime kiln lane was still there but just used as a...
  10. R

Thanks for the replies folks. (I know the area we are talking about quite well from my childhood) The certificate is so clear that I thought I would look for a Hall. I couldn't find one, if Colin doesn't know about one, and no one else has heard of it surviving into the 1920's, I am now...
  11. R

Hello folks I'm looking for the location of Mill Pool Hall, Kings Heath so I can pin down the cottage. I know of Mill Pool Hill just past Coxmoor and the cannal wharfs to the right but can find no reference to a Mill Pool Hall. Just in case there is anyone else on the trail the address was...
  12. R

Haunch Lane Farm Kings Heath.

Hello Dave A, its Zircon you have to thank for the map. My relatives had the farm down by where Chamberlain Road is (and a shop in Kings Heath to sell produce). The connection with the Haunch Farm is that one of the 'Lyons' sons appears to have been apprenticed to a Blacksmith there. (My...
  13. R

Paynes shoe repairs

Hello EarlGary Don't know if this is any help. I lived in Addison Road throughout my childhood and the co owner (or worker) of the garage at number 54, was a Payne. Think the other man was Hackett whose name was over the door. Attached is a photo, apologies I don't know where it came from.
  14. R

legal/illegal marriages

I didn't realise it was illegal until 1907. Very odd as its seems to have been quite common. I have two ancestors who married their their dead wives sisters, had oodles of children all of whom seem to have been baptized/christened. They were both non comformists, it seems in more ways than one...
  15. R

Highgate Street Factory & Square

Worked for Abrahams 1966 and 1967 in the school holidays. Like other temps I was moved round the factory in a vain effort to find something i could do. I welded balls onto the top of crewit pots in a line of girls all on piecework. I contantly burnt my fingers and never made the required...
  16. R

Kings Heath

You are right Sospiri. I recognise Albert Street from your description. My error, its Middleton Road I was describing. Those broken crisps, often overdone or over greasy, must have been taken by a number of the local shops!
  17. R

Kings Heath

Hello John 70 and Sosphiri Are sure about the Albert Road Shops? They played and important role in my young days when I could lay my hands on a penny or two to spend on the way to Wheelers Lane Junior school. As I remember, coming up from the Alcester Road there was first shop on the left that...
  18. R

Kings Heath

Hello Brum Burgin Strongly suspect I bought my first 45's from Janet !
  19. R

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Re: Surfside Stop constitution Hill There must have been some in the 1920's, 30's 40's and 50's?
  20. R

Black Patch

Re: Info on Gypsy families in York The letter was sent by Jack Hill from Tamworth and I wonder if we have any of 'Jack Hills' decendents on the forum. Jack was born in 1891/2. Charlie Cahplins mother was Hannah Hill so if we do, they may be distantly related to Chaplin. 'You were born in a...
Back